The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2014

new Mark Olson song from his upcoming album

Mark Olson - Poison Oleander
Old 09-15-2014

LOL that really made me laugh out loud! I enjoyed the video very much, and aside from that, the song is excellent. I like Mark's economical use of words, from these first two "Good-bye Lizelle" tracks.

"Many Colored Kite" sounded like 42 minutes of "Ballad in Plain D" (IMHO). But this "Good-bye Lizellle" music, wow, everything flows together, without clutter, and when the song is over I want to hear it again.

The sound is very pleasant, even on dinky computer speakers. I really like what Mark and Ingunn are doing now. This truly is good stuff.
Old 09-15-2014
Guru

I thought it was ok, and the video was amusing. I'm not drawn to it like I was for Salvation Blues. We'll see how the rest of the album is.

Last edited by ChiefCrowe : 09-16-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-16-2014
Mental Midget

*yawn
Old 09-16-2014
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Chamberlain View Post
But this "Good-bye Lizellle" music, wow, everything flows together, without clutter, and when the song is over I want to hear it again.

The sound is very pleasant, even on dinky computer speakers. I really like what Mark and Ingunn are doing now. This truly is good stuff.
it will be interesting for sure. I'd give Many Colored Kite another whirl or two while you're waiting, lots of goodies on that one, but for sure, it's a grower.
Old 09-16-2014
Mental Midget

Shouldn't this be in the OT section?
Old 09-16-2014

The guitar part!!
Old 09-16-2014
semi-retired, fully wired

Interesting direction; can't think of anything quite like it in the Olson/Creekdippers catalog. I like the "psych folk" elements of the song - very much in my wheelhouse. However, I'm not real keen on Ingunn's bg vocals... maybe they'll grow on me. The video is very silly but I don't have a problem with that at all - it's quite charming.
Old 09-16-2014

Location: The Magic Fingers Massage Parlor at Manchester & Main
Glacier-boy's all giddy and out looking for a vintage typewriter.
Old 09-16-2014

Location: The Magic Fingers Massage Parlor at Manchester & Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
Interesting direction; can't think of anything quite like it in the Olson/Creekdippers catalog. I like the "psych folk" elements of the song - very much in my wheelhouse. However, I'm not real keen on Ingunn's bg vocals... maybe they'll grow on me. The video is very silly but I don't have a problem with that at all - it's quite charming.
I think it sucks.
Old 09-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
Interesting direction; can't think of anything quite like it in the Olson/Creekdippers catalog. I like the "psych folk" elements of the song -

It's kind of a "Folk-Pop" sound, to its credit. I can hear this kind of song being played at Starbucks. It's easy to listen to without being in the "Easy-Listening" genre. Gary could take a page from Mark's book here and it might benefit him. Just Sayin'.

And maybe "Many Colored Kite" was too visceral sounding for my tastes. I don't know what it is exactly. I can't wrap my head around the barrage of words, spilled out over "MCK," while seemingly great music is being played in the background. I should give it another spin. I have it on cd, and (*unopened) vinyl. *LOL. That's how much I didn't like it! "MCK" just sounds like it needs an editor or something.

Ingunn I do like, but not in the way that I would actually hit on her. I don't want Mark getting too upset here. I mean, if I actually knew her and she was single, that would be different. Anyway...I don't want Mark feeling like he wants to throw a typewriter at me next....

Btw, I would like to hear a "Replacements" influence on Gary's next Jayhawks' release. Something I noticed on Gary's facebook page....

And apparently Icehaid thinks this is a poop sound, not a "Pop" sound. I just can't get into "SOL" or "Smile" very much at all, honestly. But I don't know why we have to rehash all this stuff. I guess we can commence with calling each other names now. Let's get into a huge fight about it.
Old 09-16-2014

I lost interest in Olson after Salvation Blues. That was a good one!. Many colored kite never did grab me. I think the new video is fun though. I hope Mark has a lot of success in the new record.
Old 09-16-2014
Bad Spellerr

not sure what i think yet. interesting video- looks like they had fun filming it. They look happy to me. Good for them.
Old 09-16-2014
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebstuart View Post
I lost interest in Olson after Salvation Blues. That was a good one!. Many colored kite never did grab me. I think the new video is fun though. I hope Mark has a lot of success in the new record.
When Mark toured Many Colored Kite, I was excited to hear the way the songs would come off live, since Ingunn wasn't in the country and he took his old Creekdipper mates with him. So I for sure gave this one a lot of listens in anticipation of the show. Only a couple songs jumped out on the first listen, but that's the charm of it. Listening because of those songs let the other songs reveal themselves slowly but for sure, they really come off as complete expressions.
This unfortunately is what keeps Mark from having a huge success, because we live in a pop culture universe, so sometimes we mistake a lower level of "success" as somehow less than something. We could not be further from the truth. Mark is more happy doing things within his muse and not forcing it. Some people just choose to not delve into his style, but even Gary is into some of the same stuff of the past that had this low-key charm. They've both talked highly of the Incredible String Band, for example, and that's a good example of Mark's current direction. After 'My Own Jo Ellen', he made some changes. Salvation Blues grew out of that stuff, but he's been in Europe, Eastern Europe, and some other places and picked up a bunch of obscure influences stylistically and in his approach to making music. Musicians dig that, but the masses tend to miss out.
That's just today's 32 cents.

Last edited by JoMama : 09-16-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-16-2014
Bad Spellerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
...because we live in a pop culture universe, so sometimes we mistake a lower level of "success" as somehow less than something.
I don't think you'll find that thinking here here at least. We can all agree that the Hawks have not had the success we think they should, but none of us would view their body of work as less than something.

I'll keep listening to the new stuff- and I'll watch the video again, if nothing more just to see Mark and Ingunn having such a good time. The guy loves what what he's doing, which in some ways is probably sweeter than success- you just gotta pay the bills too :-)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: