The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010
LiladyK

Pour me another glass, and I'm not talkin' moonshine this time

Wilco uberfans drink Wilco flavored Kool-aid - Jayhawks uberfans prefer the Jayhawkian flavor.

Hummingbirds drink the red colored nectar, Baltimore Orioles prefer orange at my backyard wildlife station. Drink up everyone!

There's character in our differences. It's all good.

Keep my favorite flavor coming my way, because I'm good and thirsty. Cheers.
Old 05-24-2010
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
Wow, does that make someone else's opinion more "valid"? It's certainly NOT up to you or me or anyone else to decide what an artist "should" do.
The opinions of people who like RFTF MORE than Jayhawks material--are they MORE right like you think you are?

Sorry PP, it's time to change your name (again) and try to come off with a different personality.
Joe Joe Joe...you haven't been paying attention -- it's PP's way or the highway. His opinion is the only "right" one when it comes to:

songwriting
record production
career advice
music classification ("if only it wasn't so adult-contemporary and a little more edgy, um, I mean alternative")
product marketing
behind the scenes music biz stuff

As for Via Chicago...man, I haven't paid much attention to that scene in a long time (talk about diminishing returns), but don't half of those posters sound like our little PP? Hell, I even came across the phrase "adult contemporary" (again, a description as uninformative as "rock 'n' roll" or "blues" or "jazz") -- and it was in a pro-Gary post!

Quote:
I really like Vagabonds - more than Ready for the Flood to tell you the truth. It's got sort of an adult contemporary feel, but it's quite beautiful in my opinion.
This next poster, obviously, is not PP or one of his minions, although if you switched Mark and Gary's names around, the shoe might fit:

Quote:
I don't actually own any of Mark's solo stuff. I can only take so much of his voice. I'm not sure I'd enjoy listening to Mark without Gary harmonizing with him.
Thanks to whoever posted the VC link - very informative indeed.
Old 05-24-2010

Send a message via AIM to philipgar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
This next poster, obviously, is not PP or one of his minions, although if you switched Mark and Gary's names around, the shoe might fit:

Quote:
I don't actually own any of Mark's solo stuff. I can only take so much of his voice. I'm not sure I'd enjoy listening to Mark without Gary harmonizing with him.
I don't quite think that would fit PP's posting style even with the names reversed. This poster actually expresses his opinions as opinions, and doesn't seem to imply that everyone should agree with him. I don't care if someone else's opinions are different than mine, it's just when they try to imply that mine are obviously wrong.

Phil
Old 05-24-2010
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDylan's Beard View Post
Maybe I'll change my name again. I said I wouldn't, but why not....
Looks to me like someone just outed himself...not that it's any surprise, since multiple personae are hallmarks of trolls. Watch this: either of their next posts will be adamant protestations of their coherent integrity as individuals, right on cue.
Old 05-24-2010
BobDylan's Beard

Look, axeeugene, I won't take the bait or play the game of who's trolling who. I did register as "Rabid Net-Monkey" just now, but there's a new approval period, it was something they put in place for all the erroneous bots who registered here. So, I may never get to post as "Rabid Net Monkey" now. Sigh. I've had three names, crowsghost, Rolling Thunder and BDB, and I've never tried to hide that fact. Anyhoo, have a nice day, just been reading the board lately about Gary's shows! I'll try not to post!
Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDylan's Beard View Post
Look, axeeugene, I won't take the bait or play the game of who's trolling who. I did register as "Rabid Net-Monkey" just now, but there's a new approval period, it was something they put in place for all the erroneous bots who registered here. So, I may never get to post as "Rabid Net Monkey" now. Sigh. I've had three names, crowsghost, Rolling Thunder and BDB, and I've never tried to hide that fact. Anyhoo, have a nice day, just been reading the board lately about Gary's shows! I'll try not to post!
Unless PP is quite schizophrenic, I don't think Bob Dylan's Beard is the same as him in any way shape or form. The criticism between the two is quite different, and in a very different vein. BDB doesn't seem nearly as harsh in his opinions, and nowhere near as judgmental. For the most part, he stays away from threads about things he doesn't like, which suits me just fine.

Phil
Old 05-24-2010
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipgar View Post
Unless PP is quite schizophrenic...
Different doctors, experts in their field notwithstanding, would give different diagnosis' for Glacier/Pretentious/PP.
And who cares? It's not all about "him" anyway.

Phil, thanks so much for the vids. I know if you have to pull them, there's a good reason to do so.
Old 05-24-2010

I rarely post. The level of civility is, at times, dismal. Hey, dissent is a good thing. Keeps us all thinking and seeing many views.

The greatest thing by far is to be a master of metaphor Aristotle

Gary is truly a mater of this ("passed by a statue of St Augustine in prayer" ---What a loaded metaphor. This is so beautiful and so succinct. There needn't be another word in that song). All artists' first priority is always to form and to move that form forward. What PP may have been saying is that that gift for metaphor and nuance is not utilized as well in these new songs. He has a valid point. But I could listen to Gary singing the preamble to the constitution backwards for days on end. His voice so kind and sad and combined with that amazing gift for melody and skillful guitar work...the perfect combination of form and content. They are still good songs that I will want to listen to forever and I am grateful for the videos since I could not be there to hear them live.
Old 05-24-2010

Love this thread, as always. Fun stuff from fun people.

Here's a quiz - who wrote this line?:

"You came and you gave without taking..."

A.) Gary Louris

B.) Songwriters Scott English and Richard Kerr, in a song sung by Barry Manilow?
Old 05-24-2010

Location: The Magic Fingers Massage Parlor at Manchester & Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Fan View Post
Love this thread, as always. Fun stuff from fun people.

Here's a quiz - who wrote this line?:

"You came and you gave without taking..."

A.) Gary Louris

B.) Songwriters Scott English and Richard Kerr, in a song sung by Barry Manilow?

Heh - you forgot C.) all of the above.

I think the finished product from said line is much better in A.), however (nothing against Mr. English and the pooch the song is allegedly about).

In fact, "Settled..." is and likely always will be one of my favorite songs by *anyone*. It rocks electric and is gorgeous acoustic. Sure would be nice for all songwriters to come up with such brilliance while mowing the lawn, eh?
Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icehaid View Post
Heh - you forgot C.) all of the above.

I think the finished product from said line is much better in A.), however (nothing against Mr. English and the pooch the song is allegedly about).

I'm sure somebody has asked Gary about that line. For some reason it popped into my head this weekend, and made me wonder.

Do you think it was a conscious echo, or unconscious? Does Gary like Barry?

It's funny, because it is a pretty big line in "Mandy," and it is the opener for "Settled." Not a throwaway line in either case...
Old 05-24-2010

For the time being, I have removed Big City Snow and My Sleepless nights from youtube, as I have been informed that they're still works in progress that aren't finished, etc. I'll see if I can repost them later, but I apologize to those who didn't get a chance to see them, as I thought they were excellent performances.

Phil
Old 05-24-2010

Thanks for taking and posting the great videos. Looked like a great place to see a show and you did a nice job on the videos.

Little scary to comment considering the tone of the discussion, but.....

I don't think that some (not all) of PP's comments are that far off. (I know the animosity is caused by years of similar harping and nastyness, etc.) Vagabonds isn't my favorite Gary record -- I don't put it on too often but don't mind hearing it on my ipod during a run. RFTF is the same for me. Some of this new stuff sounds a bit like that. Gary's voice is beautiful, but I wasn't dying to find out when I can buy this on cd. That's ok -- he has a big catalog and there is bound to be stuff I don't like.

Does the recent stuff sound like the Jayhawks? I don't think so, but not sure that means anything. Artists evolve. Plus, Gary obviously is enjoying his time as a solo acoustic artist. I'm a fan of Gary with a band (electric) and I hope we will get more of that soon, too!

Having said that, it is always fun to see your favorite musicians in any setting! Most of the time, it works out to be an awesome night. The shit ones -- well they are memorable too!

Kenny
Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
Sorry PP, it's time to change your name (again) and try to come off with a different personality.

This isn't true. The only reason I ever changed names was because the password recovery system did not work for quite some time. I've never posted at the same time under different monikers.

If you guys aren't interested in discussing music with honest opinions., let me know. Like I said, I consider Gary a musical genius - see Black Eyes and Saturday Morning on Sunday Street as perfect examples of such brilliance. But if one is going to heap praise, why can't one then point out other aspects that may not be as great?

Also, I want to address Sacred Root's claim of a "dubious agenda". That couldn't be further from the truth. The only agenda I have is wanting to see Olson/Louris be as successful as possible and to get the credit/recognition they so obviously deserve. That's the only reason I made the adult contemporary comments and pointed out the cliches. If I didn't care, I wouldn't post that stuff. I still think these guys have a couple masterpiece albums left in them. I was just trying to help.

Last edited by Pillow Pants : 05-24-2010 at 11:38 PM.
Old 05-24-2010
BobDylan's Beard

I still don't like that blue lights song from Smile, but I don't feel the need to go on and on about it....... I don't really care much for Tailspin either. So. Whatever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: