The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010
BobDylan's Beard

Pillow Pants, I actually can't believe you're still here! I like Gary's choice of words, he hasn't lost anything as a songwriter. And I can't wait for Mark's new cd either. So there! Now I hope you all have a nice day!
Old 05-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants View Post
What I have found myself moving away from,and what Gary has moved to, is this very easy listening adult-lite sound riddled with cliches.
Ahem. Powerful soft folk.

Quote:
I'm sorry to say it but it's true. My tastes have not changed at all over time, but Gary has certainly changed from writing edgy, rockin' alternative music to a very adult contemporary sound.

The name of this fourm is "Jayhawksfanpage", and I am a fan of that alternative rock band and its members. The stuff Gary is writing now is about as far away from the Jayhawks as it could be.

Perhaps your point would be more valid if this were the Gary Louris solo forum, but it's not.
Two Hearts is "edgy, rockin' alternative music"? Or, going back further, The Baltimore Sun?

There's certainly not a difference to speak of in style or delivery between the newer stuff and older Jayhawks stuff when Gary plays live these days.

So you don't like it. That's nice. But why do you have to be suck a dick? Do you go out of your way to, or does it just come naturally?

At any rate, thanks for the videos, Phil.
Old 05-23-2010

Send a message via AIM to philipgar
Quote:
I don't think so. I still enjoy RFTF and the work of Mark Olson and Tim. What I have found myself moving away from,and what Gary has moved to, is this very easy listening adult-lite sound riddled with cliches. I'm sorry to say it but it's true. My tastes have not changed at all over time, but Gary has certainly changed from writing edgy, rockin' alternative music to a very adult contemporary sound.

The name of this fourm is "Jayhawksfanpage", and I am a fan of that alternative rock band and its members. The stuff Gary is writing now is about as far away from the Jayhawks as it could be.

Perhaps your point would be more valid if this were the Gary Louris solo forum, but it's not.
So post on threads about the music you like. I don't understand where you see this change in Gary's song writing style, but I've yet to see you say much of anything positive about any song Gary has ever written (unless it was cowritten with Mark). I think you mentioned once or twice that you found one or two post-olson jayhawks song tolerable ... but that's it. The rest you've been talking down on for years. You even talked down the RFTF album.

We really just don't care that you dislike Gary's music anymore, there are plenty of people in this world who wouldn't care for Gary's music, personally I wonder what is wrong with them, but I'm not going to go around voicing that opinion on other message boards, as it isn't my place to do it.

Also to everyone that wasn't pillowpants, I'm glad you enjoyed the videos, I am quite happy with how they came out, and glad I got the songs I did.

Phil
Old 05-24-2010
semi-retired, fully wired

PP has had it in for Gary and his music for a long time, so his reaction is certainly not a surprise. He'll breathlessly deny that with that oh-so-clever junior high wit of his, but, like Dylan once said, you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing. He's predictable as can be: once there's any kind of positive momentum going about anything Gary-related, he unleashes his arsenal of cliched rhetorical bombs. If he actually had some criticism that was valid and didn't reek of week-old bread ("adult contemporary" - really? not only is that meaningless, vague and just wrong, but he's been using it for, what, five years now), maybe it would rise above the level of troll bait. I personally welcome the presence of thoughtful criticism and healthy debates in a forum of passionate music fans who share common interests. Sadly, the PPs of the world welcome only views that conform to their own narrow orthodoxy and respond to opposing views with derision and personal attacks (if you think calling him the resident board terrorist is a stretch, look at some of PP's "greatest hits"). The irony, of course, is that he has the freedom to air his criticisms and reviews of illegally obtained music on a board that is subsidized by the artists he professes to respect.

I say move on, ignore PP's same old same old and enjoy what life has to offer. Gary is in top form these days - he's never sounded better IMO. He's writing, producing, collaborating, exploring, living life to the fullest - in short, he's doing exactly what he wants to do. The people I saw in Madison and Wabasha know what they like and they don't need to defend it against somebody with dubious agendas. I'm way beyond silly labels and what people think is or isn't cool - and I honestly could give two whits what somebody who deserves absolutely no respect on any level has to say about it. Everybody I talked to the last two nights was thrilled with Gary's performances and new material. Yeah yeah, I know, we're just a bunch of starry-eyed kool aid drinking ass kissers with no objectivity, but here's a little hint: these people are the "real" music fans and I couldn't be prouder to call many of them my friends. Let PP revel in all the "edgy" music (Roger Waters? <sniff>) he wants. Let him suffocate in the thin air up on his high horse till he's blue. But when he darkens our bright little corner here I think the best advice is to silently sigh and remember what battles in life are worth expending energy on. I think that's a small price to pay considering all that is good in the wonderful world of Jayhawks music, past, present and future.
Old 05-24-2010
BobDylan's Beard

If I lived in the midwest I'd probably drink the koolaid too. It's a testament to Gary's abilities that he has a group of core, rabid followers. I'm glad you all get together to see the shows, etc. I missed him in Cambridge this time, it just wasn't doable, maybe next time out.... So yeah, thanks for clarifying whether or not he wanted his most recent stuff on dime. I'll always buy his official releases though, looking forward to the next on.... maybe I'm not in the club but I still like his music a lot.
Old 05-24-2010
Secretary to the spirits

I'm not sure where you get the Midwest part of this deal. Lots of folks on this board are from places far removed from our little houses on the prairie. Some of them even live where there are hills, so go figure...
Old 05-24-2010
BobDylan's Beard

I'm about 1,000 miles from Minnesota, so I'd need atleast a case of redbulls to make that trip. Hopefully he plays somewhere in Mass again, maybe when it's better timing for me. Maybe him and Mark will tour up this way again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
I'm not sure where you get the Midwest part of this deal. Lots of folks on this board are from places far removed from our little houses on the prairie. Some of them even live where there are hills, so go figure...
Old 05-24-2010
BobDylan's Beard

And I'll just post this because it's the internet and people talk about stuff on message boards.... I don't want to be too provocative here or start any arguments, but in the spirit of the debating and critiquing the work and motivations that surround the work of good, viable artists... why not just allow this stuff to be posted on dime? I know, nobody wants to work for free, nobody wants to be bootlegged... but I might be that much more excited to buy the next O/L album, or Gary album, or Jayhawks album if I downloaded a show on dime that I play and enjoy regularly. Right? Just a thought, again it's really none of my damn business.
Old 05-24-2010
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDylan's Beard View Post
I'm about 1,000 miles from Minnesota,
I'm not sure what you mean, sounds like we both like the same flavor of koolaid.
Old 05-24-2010
LiladyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipgar View Post
I apparently went a little overboard with taking videos at the show, but I doubt people would complain. I tried getting the new and rare songs the most, so what follows are links to the videos I took. Had I really thought about it, I should have brought a tripod and just taped the whole thing or something, of course I don't know if I have enough memory on my card for that.

In The Canyon
In The Eyes of Sarah Jane
My Sleepless Nights
Need You Tonight
Everybody Knows
Big City Snow
DC Blues

Phil
Overboard? I took at least this many videos in Wabasha.......I hope to have them up sometime today. Thanks so much Phil, these are great

Hey, maybe we should have dueling vid cam events...who can tape the most vids, I'm now armed with multiple 2 gig memory cards
Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipgar View Post
I've yet to see you say much of anything positive about any song Gary has ever written

That's not true at all. I have repeatedly called these songs masterpieces:

1. Save it For a Rainy Day
2. Sound of Lies
3. Better Days
4. A Break in the Clouds
5. Angelyne
6. Tailspin
7. The Man Who Loved Life
Old 05-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
PP has had it in for Gary and his music for a long time, so his reaction is certainly not a surprise. He'll breathlessly deny that with that oh-so-clever junior high wit of his, but, like Dylan once said, you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind is blowing. He's predictable as can be: once there's any kind of positive momentum going about anything Gary-related, he unleashes his arsenal of cliched rhetorical bombs. If he actually had some criticism that was valid and didn't reek of week-old bread ("adult contemporary" - really? not only is that meaningless, vague and just wrong, but he's been using it for, what, five years now),

I don't think it's a meaningless description for an artist who used to make alternative music.

Quote:
The irony, of course, is that he has the freedom to air his criticisms and reviews of illegally obtained music on a board that is subsidized by the artists he professes to respect.
That's taking it way too far, Sacred. I think Gary is one of the most talented people in rock. I hope he sells a million records and takes the world by storm, he deserves it. But apparently I'm the only one on this board to think he needs an editor, or a B.S. detector. His latest work(and the stuff on Vagabonds) appears to be riddled with cliches:

"follow your guiding light"
"lonely days and sleepless nights"
"a sky so blue"
"Gonna lift you up, never let you down"
"lover and my friend"
"It's never too late to wake up"
"I feel I'm a part of you"

That's just from "My Sleepless Nights" alone. These are the kind of cliched lyrics I expect from some VH1 artist, or something played on K-Lite. I don't expect this from the guy who wrote these lyrics:

Well, I know your name
Takes you back from where you came
Your words, they show
Sometimes it's real to be alone
So real to be alone

I survive, it's true
But when I get close to June
Alright, okay
It's just two hearts that make us pay
Two hearts that make us pay

Quote:
He's writing, producing, collaborating, exploring, living life to the fullest - in short, he's doing exactly what he wants to do. The people I saw in Madison and Wabasha know what they like and they don't need to defend it against somebody with dubious agendas.

I think that's great. But I also think maybe the quality of the songs is being stretched from Tampa to Tulsa.

Quote:
I think that's a small price to pay considering all that is good in the wonderful world of Jayhawks music, past, present and future.
Gary's material the last few years sounds nothing like the Jayhawks IMHO. They were an alternative roots/rock band with poetic, imagery filled lyrics. If you can't hear that, then I suggest a hearing checkup. And if you think I'm the only one who notices this, think again:

http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/3.../page__st__240

I hope all the former members of the Jayhawks take the world by storm and sell millions of records. If anyone deserves it, they do. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't be honest with myself and any commentary on new music.

Last edited by Pillow Pants : 05-24-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-24-2010
LiladyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
Great job Phil. Still get chills when I listen to "Everybody Knows" - it was a great honor to catch two performances of that song in 24 hours.
Yeah, that song does the same thing to me....it really got my attention when I saw him perform it at the METRO in Chicago - I got a vid in Wabasha of that one too, I'll be putting up.
Old 05-24-2010
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
And if you think I'm the only one who notices this, think again:

http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/3.../page__st__240
Wow, does that make someone else's opinion more "valid"? It's certainly NOT up to you or me or anyone else to decide what an artist "should" do.
The opinions of people who like RFTF MORE than Jayhawks material--are they MORE right like you think you are?

Sorry PP, it's time to change your name (again) and try to come off with a different personality.
Old 05-24-2010
BobDylan's Beard

Maybe I'll change my name again. I said I wouldn't, but why not....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
it's time to change your name (again) and try to come off with a different personality.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: