The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2010
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl incognito1 View Post
Oh, man!!!! I need a map!!!!
Wabasha is on the Minnesota (imagine that) side of the Mississippi River. Just take the Mississippi River Road National Scenic Roadway, and you'll drive through the middle of downtown Wabasha. I also recommend visiting the Eagle Center. It's a nice sleepy little town.

I spent a summer going up and down that part of the river working for the National Audubon Society. It's a beautiful trip any time of year, but moreso in the summer. If you ever get the chance to take a few weeks to drive it, boat it, or bike it, jump at that chance. Your life will never be the same. It'd be a treat, for example, to do such a trip and have it end with a Gary Louris show, I think.

I've done a few hundred miles of that river in various ways--solo canoe, houseboat, driving...haven't done a bike trip yet, but that's next. It's a great privilege to live near the shores of one of the most famous rivers in the world, and those of us here ought not waste the privilege.

Gary's doing us a service by playing in such a spot--he'll help remind us what a great natural heritage we have.
Old 03-16-2010

Send a message via AIM to philipgar
It's so great to see Gary coming back to Madison!!! The last time he played here was great (despite me being sick for the show), and this time it looks like he'll be playing the high noon saloon!!! That's a great venue to see shows at, many of my favorite bands I've seen there. I may even have to buy a ticket for this one in advance (what a concept!!!). I might make the trek out to chicago too, but I have doubts, as I really hate driving to chicago, and hate the drive back even more.

Phil
Old 03-16-2010
Blondie

I couldn't help but notice the distinct and appalling lack of any European or UK dates there.
If your rhythm ever falls out of time,
You can bring it to me and I will make it alright.

My Flickr Account
Old 03-16-2010
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious Time View Post
I'm dreaming of tour dates late september in the Paradiso, Amsterdam to coincide with the european bastards get together. September 25, Gary. Make it happen
Shit, that would be awesome! Lenno, use your contacts and get mailing!!

Scrobbler
Old 03-16-2010
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
I couldn't help but notice the distinct and appalling lack of any European or UK dates there.
European dates are certainly a given; not worth the worry. Last time he played Rochester he kept reminding us how huge he is in Europe, so I'm certain you'll have some chances...
Old 03-16-2010

Quote:
I'm dreaming of tour dates late september in the Paradiso, Amsterdam to coincide with the european bastards get together. September 25, Gary. Make it happen
I think he's in Australia that day.

My Tunes
Old 03-16-2010
Toothless In OTB

Just purchased 2 tickets for NYC, printing them out right now!!
Old 03-16-2010
Blondie

Quote:
Oooh, yeah... a gig at the Paradiso, ON the 25th would just be perfect! What a night out that would be!
If your rhythm ever falls out of time,
You can bring it to me and I will make it alright.

My Flickr Account
Old 03-16-2010
Haggischomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeeugene View Post

I've done a few hundred miles of that river in various ways--solo canoe, houseboat, driving...
And to think Jeebus only managed to WALK on water!!
Old 03-16-2010
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggischomper View Post
And to think Jeebus only managed to WALK on water!!
Enough about Axe's Jeebus moves, Andy: The real question is whether you're coming this way. Not a bad little jaunt for ya, as we've mentioned, the Eagle Center is here, and you're not too far from the halls of Red Wing where there is also a fine restaurant called NORTON'S, run by Greg Norton, former bass-wielder for Hüsker Dü, and quite the chef on his own. That little corridor of the Minnesota side of the Mighty Mississippi is worth a few days of your life. Plus you get to run into blokes like yours truly, and a bunch of fanpagers in general.
http://www.thenortonsrestaurant.com/
Old 03-16-2010
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
Quote:
Originally Posted by axeeugene View Post
Wabasha is on the Minnesota (imagine that) side of the Mississippi River. Just take the Mississippi River Road National Scenic Roadway, and you'll drive through the middle of downtown Wabasha. I also recommend visiting the Eagle Center. It's a nice sleepy little town.

I spent a summer going up and down that part of the river working for the National Audubon Society. It's a beautiful trip any time of year, but moreso in the summer. If you ever get the chance to take a few weeks to drive it, boat it, or bike it, jump at that chance. Your life will never be the same. It'd be a treat, for example, to do such a trip and have it end with a Gary Louris show, I think.

I've done a few hundred miles of that river in various ways--solo canoe, houseboat, driving...haven't done a bike trip yet, but that's next. It's a great privilege to live near the shores of one of the most famous rivers in the world, and those of us here ought not waste the privilege.

Gary's doing us a service by playing in such a spot--he'll help remind us what a great natural heritage we have.
Wonderful post Axe! I think Gary's show there would be more easier to go to and really a beautiful drive!!!
My Blog
My Business Website
Old 03-16-2010
Haggischomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
Enough about Axe's Jeebus moves, Andy: The real question is whether you're coming this way. Not a bad little jaunt for ya, as we've mentioned, the Eagle Center is here, and you're not too far from the halls of Red Wing where there is also a fine restaurant called NORTON'S, run by Greg Norton, former bass-wielder for Hüsker Dü, and quite the chef on his own. That little corridor of the Minnesota side of the Mighty Mississippi is worth a few days of your life. Plus you get to run into blokes like yours truly, and a bunch of fanpagers in general.
http://www.thenortonsrestaurant.com/
Too much going on in the first part of the year for me to make it out your way although I'd love to. Heck, nothing ever happens in my life for teh longest time and then everything all happens at once. In April, my buddy is popping in from Scotland for a beer or two one weekend, early June we are heading to Utah/Colorado with friends for a hiking holiday, later June my li'l sis and Niece Umber 1 will be in town to vsiit me and then as soon as they are gone we are heading to Michigan to pick up a dog from a breeder. of course, with my buddy and my sis both coming soon I have to go fork out ona decent sofa-bed too so as well as time being tight just now so is money. ARGH! But then, when isn't it?

As it is, I might be struggling to make the Chicago show as wifey's Seniors' last day is next day so she will be in full-on grading mode. My Jayhawks curse kicks in for at least the FIFTH time it seems!! We'll see what transpires though - I'd hate to go along without her but I might just have to...
Old 03-17-2010
Secretary to the spirits

Ticket info

Tickets are now available. I started a thread for them in "Updates"

www.moonshineshowcase.com

I'd love to do Chicago and Madison too. Kind of depends on who wants to go around here...

Last edited by JoMama : 03-17-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-17-2010
VILE

Quote:
as soon as they are gone we are heading to Michigan to pick up a dog from a breeder.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G mouth.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2805  
Old 03-17-2010
VILE

Quote:
of course, with my buddy and my sis both coming soon I have to go fork out ona decent sofa-bed too
Also....whaaaaaaat?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airbed.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	2806  

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: