The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2009
semi-retired, fully wired

Ann Arbor

My wife just called after the end of the first show of the US O/L tour at The Ark in Ann Arbor. She said it was a near sell out and the show was "awesome." I would imagine the setlists were similar to the EU tour, especially since Gary asked me yesterday to print up some of the recent EU setlists "for reference" (not all musicians are obsessed with the "details" ). I asked her if the people "dug it" and she said, "oh yeah, they really dug it." She said the crowd treated them like returning heroes, with rapturous responses to many of the songs, culminating with people literally screaming for "Blue" in the encore. Highlights for her included "Sister Cry" and a beautiful version of "Two Angels" dedicated to her and yours truly, even though Gary knew I was a time zone away. There was a meet and greet/signing after the show and she said it was pretty much a "mob scene." Olson/Louris-mania is on the move...

Oh yeah, she said they did a couple of radio things today, so it looks like that might be a pattern throughout the tour. Keep your eyes and ears open for announcements; they might be last minute deals.

Last edited by sacred roots : 02-03-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-03-2009
LiladyK

Amazing....thanks....and very cool that you and the Mrs. got a dedication

I'm glad to hear that about the crowd number and their good vibe reactions; I think about that a lot.

You may be right about the radio thing. IPR wants them in the studio for a few tunes while they're in Iowa too. Fun watching this all take place.
Old 02-03-2009
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
Thanks for the update SR and Mrs. SR!!! Pretty cool!!!
My Blog
My Business Website
Old 02-04-2009

Sounds great. Does anyone have the setlist?
Old 02-04-2009
Haggischomper

I think Truscott was going to the show so, presuming he hasn't been detained at the border as a potential Canuck terrorist , I am sure he will post something later.
Old 02-04-2009
BobDylan's Beard

Question for Truscott, or anyone else who was there, are they selling RFTF vinyl after the show? There was a pic on the in-store thread of a signed record.... are they hauling the records around to the shows, or just selling cd's?

Last edited by BobDylan's Beard : 02-04-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-04-2009

Hey everybody,

I'm still tired from drving back to Toronto after the Mark Olson & Gary Louris 2009 North American tour opener last night at the Ark in Ann Arbor with true-k and Truscott so I'm just going to post the setlist and let true-k and Truscott write more on the gig after they get up.

From the Jayhawks:
Gary Louris & Mark Olson
The Ark
Tue Feb 03 2009

Start time 8:11PM
1. The Rose Society
2. Nothing Left to Borrow
3. Bicycle
4. Bloody Hands
5. Turn Your Pretty Name Around
6. Two Angels
7. Say You'll Be Mine
8. Saturday Morning On Sunday Street
9. Chamberlain, SD
10. Two Hearts
11. Sister Cry
12. Black Eyes
13. Doves and Stones
14. Over My Shoulder
15. Waiting for the Sun
16. When the Wind Comes Up
17. Life's Warm Sheets
18. Settled Down Like Rain
Encore: 19. See Him On the Street
20. Blue
21. Precious Time
22. Crowded in the Wings
End time 9:47PM (Total gig time 1 hour and 36 minutes)

I look forward to seeing Gary and Mark again tonight in Toronto.

Peace,

Tim
Old 02-04-2009
BobDylan's Beard

Any sign of RFTF records?
Old 02-04-2009
BobDylan's Beard

he must be taking a nap........
Old 02-04-2009

Thumbs up

That's an incredible setlist.

Thank you!
Old 02-04-2009

Wow. Wow. That is a great setlist.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Hey everybody,

I'm still tired from drving back to Toronto after the Mark Olson & Gary Louris 2009 North American tour opener last night at the Ark in Ann Arbor with true-k and Truscott so I'm just going to post the setlist and let true-k and Truscott write more on the gig after they get up.

From the Jayhawks:
Gary Louris & Mark Olson
The Ark
Tue Feb 03 2009

Start time 8:11PM
1. The Rose Society
2. Nothing Left to Borrow
3. Bicycle
4. Bloody Hands
5. Turn Your Pretty Name Around
6. Two Angels
7. Say You'll Be Mine
8. Saturday Morning On Sunday Street
9. Chamberlain, SD
10. Two Hearts
11. Sister Cry
12. Black Eyes
13. Doves and Stones
14. Over My Shoulder
15. Waiting for the Sun
16. When the Wind Comes Up
17. Life's Warm Sheets
18. Settled Down Like Rain
Encore: 19. See Him On the Street
20. Blue
21. Precious Time
22. Crowded in the Wings
End time 9:47PM (Total gig time 1 hour and 36 minutes)

I look forward to seeing Gary and Mark again tonight in Toronto.

Peace,

Tim
Old 02-04-2009
BobDylan's Beard

Yeah, the setlist looks great! Thanks for posting it!
Old 02-04-2009
Vibey-ness

Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDylan's Beard View Post
he must be taking a nap........
Yeah, a nap, that's it. Tim got us back into Toronto at about 4:30am. Huge thanks to Tim for doing the driving and making this all possible in often pretty poor driving conditions. Lake effect snow sucks!

I had actually tried to post my review of the show and the setlist from the car on my blackberry, but my blackberry doesn't play well with this site.

Anyway, as Mrs. Sacred Roots has already let us know, the crowd was big and I believe the show was almost sold out except for just a few seats and they were very enthusiastic. Though, as you would expect, the enthusiasm was mostly directed at the HTH and TTGG material. "Blue" was given a standing ovation.

True-k, Timmyb and myself were front-row centre which had us sitting immediately at the edge of the stage. True-k had her video camera and I had my SLR, so some material may surface soon. Tim said he saw a mic stand in the audience, so we may get a nice audience recording soon too.

As far as the sound went, it's hard to say for sure when you're right up front because the sound system is rarely optimized for those seats. Though for me, Mark's vocals were clear and bright while Gary's were a little muffled and had a warmer tone, but that is more likely because of the orientation of the monitors on the stage.

As I said, for most of the crowd, the highlights were the older material. WFTS and Blue had the most enthusiastic response. To me, the new material stood out as very strong next to the old. Chamberlain is still rockin' with just acoustic guitars.

Together, they seemed so happy on stage and there were a lot of smiles and laughter between them.

This was my first time seeing them together and I have to say that I was blown away by just how well they work together on stage. And those harmonies! The studio albums just don't fully capture the magic of their harmonies. Tony is strong and in good health on this tour.

After the show, a lot of the fans bought CDs. And yes, there were only CDs available at the merch table. And no, they don't seem to be selling the EP they recorded in Europe.

In the line waiting to talk to Gary and Mark after the show, one fan in front of us said he's been seeing Jayhawks shows for a long time and did see them when Mark was still in the band. He said this was probably the best of the Jayhawks related shows he's ever been to. He was wearing a 1997 tour shirt.

I'm stoked about seeing the show again tonight. I'll try and post photos from last night's show soon.

Oh, and for anyone who might be concerned about Gary and Mark driving in winter weather, they are apparently flying for the first few legs of the tour. They don't exactly have a huge amount of gear to bring since it's an acoustic show and they plug right into the soundboard from their pedals.
Old 02-04-2009
BobDylan's Beard

Sounds like a great time, thanks for all of that! And thanks, too, for answering my questions.... I guess records don't pack as well as cd's, it would be a lot to lug around, and the reported of ep remains a mystery......
Old 02-04-2009

[quote=Truscott;180990
Oh, and for anyone who might be concerned about Gary and Mark driving in winter weather, they are apparently flying for the first few legs of the tour. [/QUOTE]

That has me more worried!

The setlist looks wonderful, and so nice to hear about the appreciative crowd! And that the guys were seemingly having fun! Was this a seated venue? You guys are great for making the road trip, and then going to the show again tonight! Have fun!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: