The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl incognito1 View Post
What an ignorant statement!!!! I bet you never had anyone close to you go through an addiction. Shame on you!
There are much worse things than addiction. Much, much worse. There are brave little kids with terminal or disfiguring illnesses, who never hung out at dive bars or shot heroin who are going through much, much worse.

Pray for them, not the healthy people who day in and day out piss their lives away.
Old 09-02-2014
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
C'mon, Gary's hot. One of the female radio hosts on a session Gary did this morning said so.
He he... We already know that!!!!
My Blog
My Business Website
Old 09-02-2014
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Jenkin View Post
There are much worse things than addiction. Much, much worse. There are brave little kids with terminal or disfiguring illnesses, who never hung out at dive bars or shot heroin who are going through much, much worse.

Pray for them, not the healthy people who day in and day out piss their lives away.
Please don't get me started. You are talking out of your butt. (as a mom I do have a heart for kids, but as someone who lost family to addiction and suicide in recent years this is below the fing belt.) Knock it off.

Gary is brave for coming out and fighting!
My Blog
My Business Website
Old 09-02-2014

Girl -

I'm not disputing the braveness of conquering addition. All I'm saying is there are far worse things. When you haven't experienced those things, or seen your family experience them, addiction may seem like the worst thing in the world.

BTW, nice to see the board picking up again as soon as Olson's name is back in the mix.....

It's been a few years since there was anything interesting to talk about in Jayhawk's land.

Last edited by Brown Jenkin : 09-02-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2014

So that wasn't a typo in the article? Mark gave this interview last winter? Weird. I wonder if it was agreed upon that the Strib wouldn't run it til it coincided with 'big' Jayhawks news.
Old 09-02-2014
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:
I, and everyone I know who is into the alternative music scene were extremely disappointed that Olson left. These are the people who showed up during the Mockingbird Time tour, when there was quite the buzz, and the Jayhawks actually had new material out.
Funny, my experience has been just the opposite. Which, just like your statement, proves nothing.

Quote:
They had great energy on the Smile tour, and despite whatever went on behind the scenes during Mockingbird time, the energy was back big time.
Classic YMMV situation. You're opinion about the MT tour is diametrically opposed to what I've encountered. By the end of the 2012 tour something was clearly rotten in Denmark.

Quote:
Sorry, I've worked with dementia patients that didn't drink or do drugs their entire lives. I've met kids with cancer, who never took drugs or drank.

Please don't lump in addiction with diseases that choose YOU. These kids didn't go to a pharmacy or a bar for a year and order up scripts or vodka and practice.

You don't work at getting dementia or cancer. You don't consciously choose, over months and years, day in and day out to get those diseases.
Pure ignorant drivel. You don't choose addiction any more than you choose any other disease. Yes, it's a disease and yes it chooses you - facts that are beyond dispute in the medical community. I feel nothing but pity for anyone who
doesn't see that. Your shocking lack of knowledge and compassion is truly appalling.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Olson is releasing an album of all new music this month.
Yes, I'm sure he'll be thrilling audiences by the millions on his upcoming tour.

Last edited by sacred roots : 09-02-2014 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-02-2014

I noticed you dodged the "living in the past" comments. And wisely so.

BTW, addiction is built by habituation and repetition. Alzheimer's is not. An Alzheimer patient does not sit on a bar stool and order up a round of dementia.

I hope nothing truly bad happens to you or loved ones so you have to see this reality. You can't go into a rehab center and make yourself better. That's it, man. You get dementia, stroke, or alzheimers and you're done.

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure he'll be thrilling audiences by the dozen on his upcoming tour.
BTW, I'm not sure if you work for the band or not (it seems like you do), but this doesn't come off very well. Whatever you want to think about Olson, the Jayhawks don't exist without him.

Last edited by Brown Jenkin : 09-02-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-02-2014

Quote:
What about the fact that 3 of their best albums were out of print and a record company actually had enough faith to reissue them, just like HTH and TTGG (which, btw, are out of print - again). What was the band supposed to do, say no? And if you release something, doesn't it make sense to promote it by playing some live shows - maybe even with a period-appropriate lineup? Do you think the Jayhawks are independently wealthy? Why shouldn't they be able to tour to support records they made using the name they made them with? Are you trying to deny them the right to do the same thing they did when Olson was in the band a few years ago?
I found this to be quite puzzling to me as well. I just don't quite understand what purpose retiring the band name would serve. Even if the shoe were on the other foot and say that Gary felt it necessary (say for health reasons) to step away from the band while all other members wanted to continue to tour, I would have a similar sentiment that it would seem a bit petty to deny your former colleagues the opportunity to earn a living for themselves...especially for a working band that isn't independently wealthy.

The other part that I found a bit humorous was Mark looking for Gary to make amends and offer an apology after he completed rehab. It reminds me of one of the one episodes from Seinfeld where George did not get an appropriate apology from James Spader's character that was going through the 12 step program.

Life's just too short to hold grudges. In the meantime, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to see three great live performances in Minneapolis/St. Paul (Jayhawks, Paul Weller, and the Replacements) in less than a 10 day span...and best of luck to Mark Olson in all of his future endeavors.
Old 09-02-2014

Quote:
I noticed you dodged the "living in the past" comments. And wisely so.
Not dodging anything. Sure The Jayhawks are supporting reissued albums but that certainly doesn't mean they're literally living in the past. I was referring to their day to day lives - the here and now. They are looking forwards, not backwards.

Quote:
BTW, addiction is built by habituation and repetition. Alzheimer's is not. An Alzheimer patient does not sit on a bar stool and order up a round of dementia.

I hope nothing truly bad happens to you or loved ones so you have to see this reality. You can't go into a rehab center and make yourself better. That's it, man. You get dementia, stroke, or alzheimers and you're done.
Again, despicable lies. I personally have had experience with some of the conditions you mentioned and the ignorance you portray is beneath contempt.

Quote:
BTW, I'm not sure if you work for the band or not (it seems like you do), but this doesn't come off very well.
You mean in the same way that Olson and his manger don't come off very well in the Strib article? It's pretty hilarious to be lectured in civility by you. Seems like I struck a nerve, huh? At least I'm not slagging someone's recovery or publicly rehashing trivial internal band matters that should remain private. To be clear, I'm not speaking for the band. I'm speaking for myself. Like you, I'm entitled to my own opinion. If the band has a problem with what I'm saying I'll be sure to let you know.

Quote:
Whatever you want to think about Olson, the Jayhawks don't exist without him.
Bullshit. The band has existed without him before, is existing without him now and will continue to exist without him in the future. Open your eyes.
Old 09-02-2014

Quote:
BTW, I'm not sure if you work for the band or not (it seems like you do), but this doesn't come off very well.
OK, I changed it for you. Happy?

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure he'll be thrilling audiences by the millions on his upcoming tour.
Old 09-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesisBlood View Post
So that wasn't a typo in the article? Mark gave this interview last winter? Weird. I wonder if it was agreed upon that the Strib wouldn't run it til it coincided with 'big' Jayhawks news.
That is correct. The work on this article began 9 months ago and the end result - after being whittled down by the lawyers I'm sure - finally came out last week. The events referenced in the story are even older, some dating back to 2010 (the grudges held by Olson appear to date back even further). Why the Strib chose to run it now is a question that only the editors over there could answer.

BTW, the "disharmony" (clever!) article ran in conjunction with a piece that I guess was designed to balance things:

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...273082381.html
Old 09-03-2014
Secretary to the spirits

One of the MANY contributors to Alzheimer's (which itself is an umbrella term for over 75 types of dementia) is alcoholism. Not alcohol alone, but the behaviour of alcoholism; the mental processing. The point being that "I'm an angry old man..." is not a way to live life, and if you see it in yourself, get some help. For you trolls out there, watch yourselves. You might end up with symptoms of this. Get over your anger issues. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
A good way to get over anger issues is to attend a Jayhawks show.

I miss Mark Olson, and the magic, but the drama we can all live without.
I'm excited to see they're coming here to Asheville, and a few nearby cities next month, when driving through the mountains during the fall leaf-turning time will be awesome in itself.

Last edited by JoMama : 09-03-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-03-2014
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekguy View Post
I am super happy that that fucker is no longer a part of the great band The Jayhawks.

He may be the worst singer in the history of the world. And I say that fully knowing that I've heard Axe sing.

Rock on Real Jayhawks, rock on.
"some classy shit going on here" -AXE
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
BTW, I'm not sure if you work for the band or not (it seems like you do)
Wow.
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Bullshit. The band has existed without him before, is existing without him now and will continue to exist without him in the future. Open your eyes.

Context, Roots.

Olson created the band and named them. They do not exist without Mark Olson.

How utterly bizarre to trash the guy, and then use the name he created.

Last edited by Brown Jenkin : 09-03-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: