The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2003
done mama proud

Send a message via AIM to ericcd
Got my Neil Young!

All four reissues (or whatever they are)!

You can get them at amazon.co.uk for approx. 7 british pounds.

They arrived within 8 days of my order.

Awesome!
Old 07-22-2003
Squatter's Rights

I hear some people that are talking me down, bring up my name, pass it round

I wouldn't count on AmazonUK getting them to you any sooner than AmazonUS, Or going to the big box retailer near you. Those damn records are long overdue and it's no surprise to me that they're taking advance orders. Just don't expect yours to arrive any sooner than mine, the release day is the same UK or US.
I haven't chimed in on this particular topic yet, mostly because I've had good quality Italian Imported boots of these albums for years. Hell I even named my oldest after a character in Ambulance Blues. All of the Smog/Program songs seem to come from these 4 records as well. So I haven't exactly been starving for copies. The Boots I have all contain bonus tracks that are as long as the 40 min records. So I will miss hearing those songs after I get the offical releases.
Last I heard they were all coming out at the same time as Greendale (Aug 15). So I'll let you know when I get my copies, most likely from the Electic Fetus here in MPLS.
Now we only have to wait another 20 yrs for Re-actor, Trans, and the Shocking Pinks...
Old 07-22-2003
done mama proud

That's just it! I got mine already. They're here in my hand. I live in Connecticut, and amazon.co.uk got them to me in about a week (cheaper than I would have paid in the US). Plus, they sound freakin' great!

Here! Now! On! Stereo! Awesome!

They are out in the UK!
Old 07-22-2003
reformed non-smoker

yeah, i remember someone saying here that the release date was postponed in america, but was still the same elsewhere. Greendale out August, reissues out now. Here anyway!
“Under no circumstances shall I, Christine, assume any liability whatsoever for any and all of my actions, including but not limited to comments, statements and opinions, that may result in ridicule, scorn and/or pity or such other emotions as may be deemed negative on my part (hereinafter the “Actions”). In all such events shall the liability for such Actions lie solely and completely with JayB, and JayB shall assume and accept full liability, ridicule, pity and/or scorn for any Actions. Hereafter any and all such ridicule, scorn, etc. shall be deemed to be answered with the following statement: “JayB did it”, whether expressely stated or not.”
Old 07-23-2003

I have everything Neil has ever done, and I must say, looking back on it now - Neil is one of the most overrated artists ever.
Old 07-23-2003

and the pitcher throws

having been a board member and contributer for a little while, I must admit my favorite moments of reading pleasure are when Glacier throws a curveball !
How about opening a topic for constructive debate ? You can always rely on one person.

'Neil is one of the most overrated artists ever' - isn't that one to get the argumentative juices flowing!

Personally - I don't agree. By chance I drove in to work this morning listening to the new Janes Addiction disc ( Stunning if you like that kind of thing ) and followed by After the Gold Rush which I hadn't listened to in years. Lyrically creative, musically inspired. I would have killed to be on that boat in the middle of his lake ! Strangely, my favorite NY album is This notes for you. He's been consistently inconsistent and that can only be good for music. I don't think he's God, but he deserves his place in the pantheon.
Old 07-23-2003
Grass Roots

Re: I hear some people that are talking me down, bring up my name, pass it round

Quote:
Originally posted by muskytoes
Now we only have to wait another 20 yrs for Re-actor, Trans, and the Shocking Pinks...
Isn't Re-actor one of the new releases?
Old 07-23-2003
reformed non-smoker

yeah, i saw reactor today and it was marked as the new release.
“Under no circumstances shall I, Christine, assume any liability whatsoever for any and all of my actions, including but not limited to comments, statements and opinions, that may result in ridicule, scorn and/or pity or such other emotions as may be deemed negative on my part (hereinafter the “Actions”). In all such events shall the liability for such Actions lie solely and completely with JayB, and JayB shall assume and accept full liability, ridicule, pity and/or scorn for any Actions. Hereafter any and all such ridicule, scorn, etc. shall be deemed to be answered with the following statement: “JayB did it”, whether expressely stated or not.”
Old 07-23-2003
Haggischomper

Quote:
Originally posted by glacier55
I have everything Neil has ever done, and I must say, looking back on it now - Neil is one of the most overrated artists ever.
I used to be a huge NY fan but have been becoming more and more disillusioned over time. Certainly his bad album to good album ratio must be pretty damned high given the patchiness of his latest few releases.
Old 07-23-2003

When an artist has such a huge body of work -- I'm thinking Dylan, Stones, etc., people/groups who've been around for 30 years or more -- I think there's bound to be stuff even the biggest fan doesn't like.

I think of myself as a pretty big Stones fan, for example, but when I really think about the albums I love, there are only four or five -- all around the 'Exile' era. I haven't bought a new Stones album (not counting reissues) in years. Would I go see them now, if somebody handed me a ticket? Sure, to see the old songs played.

Likewise with Neil, I happen to love 'Everybody Knows This is Nowhere,' and the stuff near to that era. I am really looking forward to 'On the Beach,' though. I may or may not check out the new concept album.

-- GM
Old 07-23-2003
Grass Roots

I'd lost interest in NY a bit over the last few years, but i did pick up 'Silver & Gold' cheap a few weeks back. It's really not bad at all, and some of the songs are great. (that said, apparently some of the tunes date back quite a few years, including 'Razor Love', my favourite on the album).

Last edited by Chaosdan : 07-23-2003 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-23-2003
Haggischomper

Yeah, S&G was pretty good though I find I rarely listen to it now. The title track itself is one Neil has tried to record at various stages throughout his career.
Old 07-23-2003

Neil Overrated?

Quote:
Originally posted by glacier55
Ah come on Glacier,you can do better than that.I'll let you know just how amazing the Greendale concert is tommorow.
Old 07-23-2003
done mama proud

I've seen lots of stupid posts, but Glacier has really put a foot in a mouth this time. To make a generalization like "Neil Young is one of the most overrated artist ever" is ridiculous. Neil has contributed as much good as he has bad, and he's kept the spirit of rock alive. I agree with NY fan that an artist with a large body of work is bound to release some crap. With Neil, however, he has continued releasing very good things. Harvest Moon, Unplugged, Silver & Gold, Freedom,...etc.

Bottom line, go listen to Bite the Bullet off of the newly reissued American Stars 'n' Bars! It's rock alright...and it's good!
Old 07-23-2003

Greendale

I saw Neil's Greendale concert last week and I highly highly highly recommend it. It's a unique *once in a lifetime* kind of rock show and Neil's guitar textures and melodicsm is better than ever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: