The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > Jayhawks Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2016
Good times never last

Sala Apolo, Barcelona, Sept. 22nd. 2016

After a long hiatus of many years, I decided to enter this FanPage again to share with you my feelings about the concert of The Jayhawks, last night in Barcelona. I haven’t been following them much in the last years so I’m kind of catching up with their music again.

When you have been a fan of them for so many years, and you have grown old listening to their music, you tend to believe that they are somehow “yours”, especially when a band is so approachable as they are, when you have records signed by them that you treasure, when you’ve had your pic taken with them many times, and so on.

So you make the mistake of thinking that they kinda owe you “something”. And that’s the feeling I had last night at the Apolo. That they owed us a little more. Not that the show wasn’t good: it was. Sound was great, set list was made to please the audience (I think), with many “classic” songs and not so many of the new ones, Gary’s voice was great as usual (Tim’s too in “Tampa to Tulsa”, a song that I love by the way), they made kind of an exhibition of great guitar performance… but they played for roughly 1 hour and a half and they left us recalling their first shows in Spain, with nostalgia of a time when they had so much energy, they seemed so grateful for us being there, so friendly, so willing to give everything they had in their souls that night.
Now that I think about it, I think that’s what they were lacking last night: their soul. They were just efficient and brilliant like oiled machines, but showed very little soul to me. I don’t know, maybe this is just me, or maybe it’s only that we have all grown too old….

Anyway, it was good to see their faces again on stage. Here’s the set list (almost copied/pasted from the show in Utrech, except for the very last song of the encore):

Waiting for the Sun
Leaving the Monsters Behind
The Man Who Loved Life
Stumbling Through the Dark
Quiet Corners & Empty Spaces
Tampa to Tulsa
Two Hearts
The Devil Is in Her Eyes
Big Star
Comeback Kids
Take Me With You
Blue
Ace
All the Right Reasons
Save It for a Rainy Day
Lovers of the Sun
Tailspin

Encore:
Settled Down Like Rain (Gary Louris solo)
Angelyne (Gary Louris solo)
I'll Be Your Key
I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
I'd Run Away
Old 09-23-2016
Good times never last

One more thing

I forgot to mention that this was the first time that I ever saw Karen. She is just sweet and lovely!
Old 09-23-2016

Smile

So you were there, Nuria. So, I was! I thought about you and Luis (bobgordon) when I flew from Bilbao to Barcelona yesterday. And flew back this morning. What a shame I didn´t meet you! I wasn´t expecting you: ( I was there with a couple of old friends -in age and time- from Barcelone who now live in Calella).

I see your point, but I don´t think I entirely agree with you. Bands play for as long or short as they want, say thank you and goodbye at the end, and go off stage. Lights off, very few of the audience clap or shout for more and they come back on stage again and play a few more. It seems that as long as the lights are off they will come again, no matter how much we shout or clap or do. And once the lights are on, forget it. no chance for more. Too organized, in my opinion. And we -crowd- don´t push enough -or at all- to change it.

It is true that they played for just an hour and a half, but in an hour and a half they played 22 songs with almost no talk at all. Maybe it was the lack of talk what I missed. And the sound was terrific.

Anyway, unfortunately there was no needed and unwanted some talk, and when Gary played Settle solo he had to stop and ask to shut up. The never ending sad story, I am afraid.

Saddly, my requests were not attended: no Bottomless Cup, no Lies in Black and White, no Haywire -it was on the set list but wasn´t played-.

And I didn´t meet you, Nuria!

Last edited by zebulon : 09-24-2016 at 02:59 AM.
Old 09-23-2016
Good times never last

Joserra! I'm feeling so embarrased right now!! You know what? Bobgordon was also there. It's inexcusable that we didn't get in touch before. I promise I'll write to you in private. I'm so, so sorry.
Old 09-23-2016

Zebulon.
Hope you get Lies in black and white and Bottomless Cup in Bilbao.
Old 09-24-2016

No, Nuria! It is perfectly understandable! You couldn´t have expected me at the concert! Next time!!!

And Martin, thanks! I hope they will play both tonight!

Last edited by zebulon : 09-24-2016 at 02:59 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: