Guru

Thumbs up Smog in LA Review!!!

i'm gonna try to piece together the setlist but it won't be in order:
Review to follow....

Lookin Forward to Seeing You
You Make it Easy
I'll Fated
5-22-02 (with Holly)
Cure for This (with Holly? [from the opening band] on lead vocals)
Frying Pan Eyes
Yesterday Cried
Easy to be Hard
Think About Yourself
Beautiful Mind
If I only had a Car
V
Starman
Hurricane
Jennifer Save Me (with Tim on drums!)
He's a Dick
Won't be coming home
Red Headed Stepchild
To Call my Own
Until You Came Along
Backstreet Girl

encore:

Listen Joe (Gary solo acoustic)
?? (i think this was some punk cover with Tommy Stinson on guitar and Kraig on lead vocals)
Old 09-14-2006
Guru

This show was SO much fun! These guys are just so loose and just kicking back, having fun on stage that it's infectious. I laughed more that a few times at some of their comments.

Kraig was talking about a contest they had for funniest ex band name and they went through all of theirs. Gary was in some band called Shnauser. but the winner was the drummer who was in some band called throbbing manhood. haha.. then Gary said he thought his was pretty good. Kraig replied with yeah i have the shirt, now let's get on with the show.
One of the many funny things that happened was the bass amp conked out near the beginning and Marc played the tambourine for some of the song while the dude fixed it.

Gary was on keys on a few songs which was cool to see, i'd never seen that before. But he was on his best with his SG, he did some great slide work on a few songs and a bunch of sweet leads. Dan also really rocked, and had some cool leads himself. He did the leads on You Make It Easy which i originally thought was Gary.
V featured Gary on keys as well as the other dude (who's name i don't remember) and Kraig blew some harp.
Marc played acoustic guitar on some songs and they also brought up Jim Boquist (sp?) a couple of times.
Jennifer Save me was so awesome because Tim came up and drummed and he looked like he was having a blast!
Until You came along - Gary messed up the intro by playing it too fast and they had to restart it

All of the songs sound much more full and Louder live!! Sometimes on the album i thought they could be better but in the live setting, they definitely shone!

Let's see, other highlights were Backstreet Girl (unexpected), He's a Dick which was hilarious, Frying Pan Eyes, Yesterday Cried, Listen Joe (really beautiful - Gary on acoustic guitar), hell almost everything was a highlight really.

Before the last song Gary played some riffs from Revolution Blues and Heartbreaker!!! I didn't know the song but it turned out to be a good singalong one and they were goin crazy rockin out on stage. Tommy was doing some lead riffing and Kraig was dancing around like a girl, it was so funny. Gary played a blistering lead on this song too!!!

Such a fun show, i think they played about 2 hrs. The crowd was pretty good and kind of big too for a week night. Some people called out requests and they kind of laughed at them - Kraig said there's no way they were going to do spooky and Gary kind of chucked when people were asking about Jeff Tweedy. who? hahah
I really really hope I can see them again some time, 8 years was WAY too long to wait.
Old 09-14-2006
Guru

oh and tim's band was pretty good too. he did bottomless cup, tampa to tulsa and drivin' wheel from the jayhawks days.. good stuff! strange to see him with the guitar though!
Old 09-14-2006
Queen of the Suburbs

What a great review Chief! You should have told them your current band name, you might have won something!
Old 09-14-2006

Thanks for the great review! I must admit that I envy you It seems that after all the gigs Gary and the rest did in Spain, you are getting now your part!! Enjoy it!
Old 09-14-2006
scratch and dent girl

Send a message via Skype™ to true-k
Imagine;;; tommy stinson with them in LA... so cool! I guess he lives there.

Has this happened before??? With jayhawks or golden smog... ?

I have a friend in LA who went to the show, waiting for his comments. I sure hope he went..
Old 09-14-2006
Charming legs

Send a message via MSN to illbecominhome
Great review Ravi!!! Thanks for sharing dude!!

"This evening the pigeons turned to bars of gold in the sun’s last light"
Old 09-14-2006

Pretty much agree with Chief (great to see ya again, sorry couldn't chat bro, but Tim was playing as you walked up). My 2 cents added: After they restarted Won't Be coming Home, it was still a little rough. No Jody Stevens on drums (for me, a major disappointment) and although this guy was good, I wonder about rehearsal? I mean, I like THE SMOG to be lose and sloppy (in that FACES way) but i caught a few little moments. and the guys knew it too, I could see the laughs to each other. No biggie, just want to throw it out there. Okay, now here's the thing. this Holly Marilyn is just fine with singing on SMOG tunes. but I'm sorry her set (even with Tommy Stinson on bass) was pretty weak. And I asked the friends I was with, people around us, and even someone who's kind of tight with most of the people on stage this night (who shall remain nameless) and we all thought the same thing about her set - YIKES. but that wouldn't bug me if not for the fact that she played AFTER Tim, before GS. I'm sorry, Tim's set blows hers away. I'm not trying to be mean, just honest. And when she sings backing vox, it's sweet. She mixes well with those guys. And hey, I even think she's cute - but her solo set - not doing it for me (and others). I also have got so used to lately doing the "2 band thing" (I haven't had to sit through the EXTRA Opener in years) instead of 3 bands. So when the flow from TIM to GS was interrupted by something of a little less quality I got cranky. Done whining, the bottom line is that TIM and GS sets were amazing. Kraig Johnson really steps up and I am now realizing how talented he is. Love seeing Dan (pure mid west garage rock soul), and once again Gary did what I love Gary to do .... soothed me with that amazing sweet voice and then ripped my head off with the GIBSON SG. Loved it!
Old 09-14-2006
Guru

good to see you too man, i didn't see you afterwards otherwise i would have stopped for a while.

I just remembered another funny Gary comment:

He said something like "I'd like to thank Rick Rubin for coming out to see us.. without him I'd be nothing!"
(there was a dude who had a big beard like rick up in front haha)
Old 09-14-2006

Great review. Sounds like it lot of fun.

I want to go to Webster Hall and my son really wants to go but I called and they say they are strict about 18 and over. Such bullshit. Guy told me they are worried about drinking, etc. Idiots -- they will let in an 18 year old with fake id but a 5 foot tall 13 year old who doesn't have a chance in hell of getting a drink can't see the show. Geniuses!!!
Old 09-14-2006
Queen of Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignan View Post
and once again Gary did what I love Gary to do .... soothed me with that amazing sweet voice and then ripped my head off with the GIBSON SG. Loved it!
If this is what I have to look forward to on Sat night I don't think I'll survive it!!! I can't wait. I really can't!
Old 09-14-2006

One word:

H E A R T B R E A K E R

?!?!?!?!
Old 09-14-2006
Queen of the World

pix from the show

Here are some snaps I took at the show.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	craig&dan.jpg
Views:	208