The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #361  
Old 07-04-2009
LanceManion1973's Avatar
LanceManion1973 LanceManion1973 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Clayton, NC
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacieb View Post
So I was getting my weekend Americano at the the Star$$$$s, and I couldn't help but think that it sure would be nice to pick up a copy of Anthology with my fancy coffee.

Any ideas how these albums make it into their stores?
I know one way is that Starbucks has its own record label. I don't know if they sell music that's not from their label.
__________________
I just wanna remember you, the way you're standing there.
Reply With Quote
  #362  
Old 07-04-2009
Truscott's Avatar
Truscott Truscott is offline
Vibey-ness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,994
Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
Geez, this is stupid, the 1 disc version of the Anthology will be released in Canada on the 7th as we expect, but the deluxe version won't be available until the 14th here. That just doesn't make any sense.

I guess my money will definitely be going into the Minnesota economy instead.
__________________
My photos on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #363  
Old 07-06-2009
fortuleo fortuleo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Paris (France)
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceManion1973 View Post
I don't want to complain but I think A Break In The Clouds should be on this collection. It was a single after all. I just think Karen's piano and backgrounds on this song are so great.
Yeah, but Stone Cold Mess is in, and it's "a break in the cloud", only up tempo…
Reply With Quote
  #364  
Old 07-06-2009
bryguy bryguy is offline
Bad Spellerr
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truscott View Post
Geez, this is stupid, the 1 disc version of the Anthology will be released in Canada on the 7th as we expect, but the deluxe version won't be available until the 14th here. That just doesn't make any sense.

I guess my money will definitely be going into the Minnesota economy instead.
Yeah, that sux.
This is probably a dumb question, but why do our friends in the Great White North pay more for books etc? There's always the US price on books, and the Canadian price. I'd be ticked if I were Canadian.
__________________
Swing low sweet chariot.
--Victor Hugo
Reply With Quote
  #365  
Old 07-06-2009
Haggischomper
 
Posts: n/a
Exchange rate.
Reply With Quote
  #366  
Old 07-06-2009
Haggischomper
 
Posts: n/a
I see amazon finally dropped price to $19.99
Reply With Quote
  #367  
Old 07-07-2009
JoMama's Avatar
JoMama JoMama is offline
Secretary to the spirits
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Forever in Blue Jeans, babe
Posts: 10,224
I snagged the Amazons at 3 in the morning, and I'm a twenty-minute drive from the local Best Buy. I hope Ben doesn't snag all the bonus discs!

I woke up with "Darling Today" and "Ten Little Kids" going through my brain, I don't know why, but I had listened to the Amazon tracks in the middle of the night so it must have been a Jayhawk soundtrack in my dreams...
__________________
*This fella, it seems, he's known guys like you his whole life too. (J. H.) *
Reply With Quote
  #368  
Old 07-07-2009
Truscott's Avatar
Truscott Truscott is offline
Vibey-ness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,994
Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but why do our friends in the Great White North pay more for books etc? There's always the US price on books, and the Canadian price. I'd be ticked if I were Canadian.
It's actually rather complicated, though the basic reasons are to protect the Canadian publishing industry which was almost non-existent for a while until certain practices were put into place; currency fluctuations are one of those reasons which this takes care of. Also, Canadian magazines and books are often cheaper with the Canadian price than the US price here.

So while there is a lot to get ticked about in these Canada/US markets, the sale price of books is not one of them.
__________________
My photos on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #369  
Old 07-07-2009
lukpac lukpac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 466
Just picked up the Best Buy version a few minutes ago. A few random comments:

- the Rainy Day Music tracks have (in my opinion) a nicer EQ than on the original CD, and don't seem to exhibit the distortion present there. I'll check out things in detail more later, but this is promising.

- Ken Callahan is not listed as playing drums on the HTH tracks; that credit goes to Charlie Drayton. Did Ken in fact not play on that album?

- Falling Star is listed as "Courtesy of Lost Highway Records under license from Universal Music Enterprises" and "P 2003 UMG Recordings, Inc." That would seem to suggest Universal owns the rights to the Bunkhouse album, not American. I could have sworn that American was credited on the Lost & Found CD, but all I can find at the moment is "The Jayhawks appear courtesy of American Recordings, LLC.", which could apply to Fools On Parade and not necessarily Falling Star. If Lost Highway in fact now owns the rights, a future release could be problematic. Let's hope it isn't.

- the packaging looks nice, but it's a bit of a pain to get the discs and booklet in and out.
Reply With Quote
  #370  
Old 07-07-2009
jacieb's Avatar
jacieb jacieb is offline
Unbridled Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 2,898
Send a message via AIM to jacieb Send a message via Yahoo to jacieb
I remember hearing the complaints about the RDM sound, where GL's mic sounded "hot". (Not that kind of hot, Kristi). I wonder if the remaster will be more balanced. I don't hear GL in front on Smile or SOL the way I do on RDM.
Reply With Quote
  #371  
Old 07-07-2009
Truscott's Avatar
Truscott Truscott is offline
Vibey-ness
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,994
Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukpac View Post
- Falling Star is listed as "Courtesy of Lost Highway Records under license from Universal Music Enterprises" and "P 2003 UMG Recordings, Inc." That would seem to suggest Universal owns the rights to the Bunkhouse album, not American. I could have sworn that American was credited on the Lost & Found CD, but all I can find at the moment is "The Jayhawks appear courtesy of American Recordings, LLC.", which could apply to Fools On Parade and not necessarily Falling Star. If Lost Highway in fact now owns the rights, a future release could be problematic. Let's hope it isn't.
I think the first Jayhawks album has been bumped around a few times, so that's why there's the confusion. IIRC, when that album was remastered and the live album was supposed to be released, Rick Rubin moved from American to Lost Highway and brought the Jayhawks material with him. The timing of the "Lost & Found" compilation might have been such that the label difference was noticeable.
__________________
My photos on Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #372  
Old 07-07-2009
lukpac lukpac is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacieb View Post
I remember hearing the complaints about the RDM sound, where GL's mic sounded "hot". (Not that kind of hot, Kristi). I wonder if the remaster will be more balanced. I don't hear GL in front on Smile or SOL the way I do on RDM.
The problem didn't have anything to do with Gary's mic, but rather the mastering. The audio was VERY overloaded in places, which resulted in very audible distortion. The tracks on MFTNC are not overloaded at all, and thus do not exhibit the distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truscott View Post
I think the first Jayhawks album has been bumped around a few times, so that's why there's the confusion. IIRC, when that album was remastered and the live album was supposed to be released, Rick Rubin moved from American to Lost Highway and brought the Jayhawks material with him. The timing of the "Lost & Found" compilation might have been such that the label difference was noticeable.
My understanding is the band owned it and then sold the rights. I had assumed they had sold them to American, but it seems as if they may have been sold to Lost Highway for some reason.
Reply With Quote
  #373  
Old 07-07-2009
girl incognito1's Avatar
girl incognito1 girl incognito1 is offline
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Des Moines...formerly of Anaheim California
Posts: 6,974
Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacieb View Post
I remember hearing the complaints about the RDM sound, where GL's mic sounded "hot". (Not that kind of hot, Kristi). I wonder if the remaster will be more balanced. I don't hear GL in front on Smile or SOL the way I do on RDM.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok...Gary IS going to throw garlic in my direction at the Basillica show on Friday!!!!!
__________________
Gary to me at the Old School show: "You say some of the sweetest things on the board!" (10/25/08) Gary Louris is like a classic Gibson SG. He will never go out of style.
Music is the art which is most nigh to tears and memory. ~ Oscar Wilde
Mom to baby girl incognito born 6/12/06
My Blog
My Business Website
Reply With Quote
  #374  
Old 07-08-2009
Calexico's Avatar
Calexico Calexico is offline
Jimmy's guitar sound...
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: People's Republic Of Cork
Posts: 21,131
Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
I really love the track I Remain Respectfully. Good to hear these lost songs.
__________________
While we sleep they go to work
We're legally crippled it's the death of love


Scrobbler
Reply With Quote
  #375  
Old 07-08-2009
Dignan's Avatar
Dignan Dignan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: California
Posts: 335
Pillow

So, it's been quite a while since I've been around "the Board". But a few of you (lil lady k, Haggis, etc..) keep in touch with me on Face Book. I came back to read up on the Anthology, but since I've been gone for a while I just have one question.......... Is Pillow Pants REALLY Glacier?
__________________
"President Bush talks about freedom, but it's not the same kind of freedom I'm talking about. When I sing 'we shall overcome,' I don't mean 'we will overpower."
- Paul McCartney
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Brought to you by: The Jayhawks