The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacieb View Post
So I was getting my weekend Americano at the the Star$$$$s, and I couldn't help but think that it sure would be nice to pick up a copy of Anthology with my fancy coffee.

Any ideas how these albums make it into their stores?
I know one way is that Starbucks has its own record label. I don't know if they sell music that's not from their label.
Old 07-04-2009
Vibey-ness

Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
Geez, this is stupid, the 1 disc version of the Anthology will be released in Canada on the 7th as we expect, but the deluxe version won't be available until the 14th here. That just doesn't make any sense.

I guess my money will definitely be going into the Minnesota economy instead.
Old 07-06-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceManion1973 View Post
I don't want to complain but I think A Break In The Clouds should be on this collection. It was a single after all. I just think Karen's piano and backgrounds on this song are so great.
Yeah, but Stone Cold Mess is in, and it's "a break in the cloud", only up tempo…
Old 07-06-2009
Bad Spellerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truscott View Post
Geez, this is stupid, the 1 disc version of the Anthology will be released in Canada on the 7th as we expect, but the deluxe version won't be available until the 14th here. That just doesn't make any sense.

I guess my money will definitely be going into the Minnesota economy instead.
Yeah, that sux.
This is probably a dumb question, but why do our friends in the Great White North pay more for books etc? There's always the US price on books, and the Canadian price. I'd be ticked if I were Canadian.
Old 07-06-2009
Haggischomper

Exchange rate.
Old 07-06-2009
Haggischomper

I see amazon finally dropped price to $19.99
Old 07-07-2009
Secretary to the spirits

I snagged the Amazons at 3 in the morning, and I'm a twenty-minute drive from the local Best Buy. I hope Ben doesn't snag all the bonus discs!

I woke up with "Darling Today" and "Ten Little Kids" going through my brain, I don't know why, but I had listened to the Amazon tracks in the middle of the night so it must have been a Jayhawk soundtrack in my dreams...
Old 07-07-2009
Vibey-ness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
This is probably a dumb question, but why do our friends in the Great White North pay more for books etc? There's always the US price on books, and the Canadian price. I'd be ticked if I were Canadian.
It's actually rather complicated, though the basic reasons are to protect the Canadian publishing industry which was almost non-existent for a while until certain practices were put into place; currency fluctuations are one of those reasons which this takes care of. Also, Canadian magazines and books are often cheaper with the Canadian price than the US price here.

So while there is a lot to get ticked about in these Canada/US markets, the sale price of books is not one of them.
Old 07-07-2009

Just picked up the Best Buy version a few minutes ago. A few random comments:

- the Rainy Day Music tracks have (in my opinion) a nicer EQ than on the original CD, and don't seem to exhibit the distortion present there. I'll check out things in detail more later, but this is promising.

- Ken Callahan is not listed as playing drums on the HTH tracks; that credit goes to Charlie Drayton. Did Ken in fact not play on that album?

- Falling Star is listed as "Courtesy of Lost Highway Records under license from Universal Music Enterprises" and "P 2003 UMG Recordings, Inc." That would seem to suggest Universal owns the rights to the Bunkhouse album, not American. I could have sworn that American was credited on the Lost & Found CD, but all I can find at the moment is "The Jayhawks appear courtesy of American Recordings, LLC.", which could apply to Fools On Parade and not necessarily Falling Star. If Lost Highway in fact now owns the rights, a future release could be problematic. Let's hope it isn't.

- the packaging looks nice, but it's a bit of a pain to get the discs and booklet in and out.
Old 07-07-2009
Unbridled Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jacieb Send a message via Yahoo to jacieb
I remember hearing the complaints about the RDM sound, where GL's mic sounded "hot". (Not that kind of hot, Kristi). I wonder if the remaster will be more balanced. I don't hear GL in front on Smile or SOL the way I do on RDM.
Old 07-07-2009
Vibey-ness

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukpac View Post
- Falling Star is listed as "Courtesy of Lost Highway Records under license from Universal Music Enterprises" and "P 2003 UMG Recordings, Inc." That would seem to suggest Universal owns the rights to the Bunkhouse album, not American. I could have sworn that American was credited on the Lost & Found CD, but all I can find at the moment is "The Jayhawks appear courtesy of American Recordings, LLC.", which could apply to Fools On Parade and not necessarily Falling Star. If Lost Highway in fact now owns the rights, a future release could be problematic. Let's hope it isn't.
I think the first Jayhawks album has been bumped around a few times, so that's why there's the confusion. IIRC, when that album was remastered and the live album was supposed to be released, Rick Rubin moved from American to Lost Highway and brought the Jayhawks material with him. The timing of the "Lost & Found" compilation might have been such that the label difference was noticeable.
Old 07-07-2009

Quote:
I remember hearing the complaints about the RDM sound, where GL's mic sounded "hot". (Not that kind of hot, Kristi). I wonder if the remaster will be more balanced. I don't hear GL in front on Smile or SOL the way I do on RDM.
The problem didn't have anything to do with Gary's mic, but rather the mastering. The audio was VERY overloaded in places, which resulted in very audible distortion. The tracks on MFTNC are not overloaded at all, and thus do not exhibit the distortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truscott View Post
I think the first Jayhawks album has been bumped around a few times, so that's why there's the confusion. IIRC, when that album was remastered and the live album was supposed to be released, Rick Rubin moved from American to Lost Highway and brought the Jayhawks material with him. The timing of the "Lost & Found" compilation might have been such that the label difference was noticeable.
My understanding is the band owned it and then sold the rights. I had assumed they had sold them to American, but it seems as if they may have been sold to Lost Highway for some reason.
Old 07-07-2009
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
Quote:
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ok...Gary IS going to throw garlic in my direction at the Basillica show on Friday!!!!!
My Blog
My Business Website
Old 07-08-2009
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
I really love the track I Remain Respectfully. Good to hear these lost songs.

Scrobbler
Old 07-08-2009

Pillow

So, it's been quite a while since I've been around "the Board". But a few of you (lil lady k, Haggis, etc..) keep in touch with me on Face Book. I came back to read up on the Anthology, but since I've been gone for a while I just have one question.......... Is Pillow Pants REALLY Glacier?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: