The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2006
Administrator

Gary's TO DO list...

I had asked Gary if he might be able to give us an update on what projects he is working on when I saw him at the First Ave Golden Smog show. He sent this report last night. *Please note that some of these projects are tentative* I have also put it on the News page on the main site:

Mark Olson flew in to Minneapolis so that we could start writing some new material. We are hoping to record a Mark Olson/Gary Louris record sometime in October. It also looks like I will be playing a bit on his solo record which he will also be recording hopefully in October.

I am taking a father/son RV trip to Mount Rushmore/The Badlands/The Black Hills in the middle of August....yee haw!

I am going to be making a trip to Nashville in late August to do some co-writing with various artists....no one specific to report.

There will be a new song of mine recorded in Spain in July that will be in a new movie entitled Off The Black starring Nick Nolte and Timothy Hutton....not sure of release date. Song is entitled "Be Still My Baby" basically performed by me with percussion by Paco Loco.

I am collaborating on a project entitled "Tuatara".....this is a band that includes Peter Buck and Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees) and Scott McCaughey (Minus Five/Young Fresh Fellows). What happens is they let different 'artists' choose songs that are already recorded sans melodies and words. It was great fun writing this way and I ended up doing three songs which will hopefully end up on the new disc which is still in the works.

Golden Smog dates coming up in September of course.

I have written and recorded music for a film entitled Men by Nicole Burdette (Chelsea Walls) that, in the fashion of Midnight Cowboy and The Graduate, is planning to have the film follow the music....so interestingly enough the music has been recorded before the movie has been shot....In the works but don't hold your breath.

I will be producing The Sadies next record at Paco Loco studios in Puerto De Santa Maria Spain. I hopefully will begin recording what may become my new solo album in December at Paco's. This record may end up being recorded at various studios...still in the conceptual stages....likely band member...Jonny Polonsky. Other potential collaborators include Richard Causon and Kraig Johnson......

I will be producing the new Sara Lee Guthrie/Johnny Irion record hopefully in Nashville in January...

There will be some bonus material which should include film footage of me recording "Every Word" on the upcoming dvd release of the movie Wordplay.

I am still trying to get that damned Live Jayhawks album released and hopefully someday some retrospective or odds and ends stuff...we are trying here but with all the labels that have been involved it makes it a real maze of a journey.

I will be cleaning out my basement in August.

I will focus on finishing my record after the completion of Johnny and Sara Lee's record .....

Rest assured there will be touring to support the various projects mentioned above at some point next year.
Old 08-03-2006
Grass Roots

Quote:
Originally Posted by takemewithyou
Mark Olson flew in to Minneapolis so that we could start writing some new material. We are hoping to record a Mark Olson/Gary Louris record sometime in October.
Bang.. splat!!!! What was that noise? Oh, it's the sound of Glacier's mind exploding...!

Best news all year. There is loads of cool stuff happening for Mr Louris over the next year... but that is the coolest!!

She started shaking to that fine fine music
You know her life was saved by rock'n'roll
Old 08-03-2006

Wooohooo! Gary is the man!
Old 08-03-2006
VILE

Quote:
I am taking a father/son RV trip to Mount Rushmore/The Badlands/The Black Hills in the middle of August....yee haw!

Thanks for the update, Sandy.

Gary (hoping you still read this on occasion), if you're in the Black Hills after the Sturgis rally (when all Hell breaks loose), I have two words for you: BEAR BUTTE! It's a wonderful place everyone in this part of the world should visit...WAY better than Mt. Rushmore. And if you're ok with feeling uncomfortable being a white male for a while, Wounded Knee on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is another place everyone should visit at least once. Bring some Robbie Robertson with you on your trip

If you find an extra couple of kitchen cabinets in your basement, I could use them. Oh yeah...and if there's a spare SG under some boxes, put my name on that, too
Old 08-03-2006
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to solace
oh man... as if the Gary/Mark record wasn't great enough news... there is going to be a NEW TUATARA album??? and Gary is working on it??????

Old 08-03-2006
Snoopyluver

Great news all around!! Thanks Sandy I needed that today.
Old 08-03-2006
norma023

wow, I like "a lot" of what's on that list!!

One thing fer sure, there's always neat little "goodies" in almost everyone's basement!!

And

My planned trip to Mount Rushmore in mid/late August might be even better now!
Old 08-03-2006
Queen of the Suburbs

Quote:
Oh thank Jah or whatever powers that be! I've been wondering about this!!!!

This is some of the best news I've heard all year. The solo thing is really exciting as is the Olson collaboration. WOW and that film soundtrack sounds absolutely intriguing!

Can we say prolific? You are amazing, sir! Way to go Mr. Louris!!!
Old 08-03-2006

Quote:
Mark Olson flew in to Minneapolis so that we could start writing some new material. We are hoping to record a Mark Olson/Gary Louris record sometime in October. It also looks like I will be playing a bit on his solo record which he will also be recording hopefully in October.
Awesome news. It will be great to get an Olson solo album and a Louris/Olson album in early 2007.

Quote:
Trust me on this - They should bypass that stuff ( or stop by Rushmore for an hour or two on the way )and go to Grand Teton/Yellowstone instead. There is no comparison, and the extra few hours drive is well worth it because the scenery effectiveness increases dramatically. Those are nice parks, but they aren't top level scenics.
Just some friendly advice from a national parks/national forests geek.
Old 08-03-2006
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Awesome news. It will be great to get an Olson solo album and a Louris/Olson album in early 2007.
He didn't mention WHEN this might come out or if it actually would...just that they are hoping to record some new material. That is one point I'd like to reinterate...some of these projects Gary mentioned are tentative and we may not see them or plans may change. But it's ok to keep your fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Trust me on this - They should bypass that stuff ( or stop by Rushmore for an hour or two on the way )and go to Grand Teton/Yellowstone instead. There is no comparison, and the extra few hours drive is well worth it because the scenery effectiveness increases dramatically. Those are nice parks, but they aren't top level scenics.
Just some friendly advice from a national parks/national forests geek.
Well speaking as my former 9 year old self it's a FUN vacation. I have very fond memories of doing the same thing with my family 40 years ago (Eeek!). I don't think I would of enjoyed Yellowstone as much as a little kid as when I was older. There are no Reptile Gardens or Wall Drug in Yellowstone Of course Yellowstone/Tetons is my favorite place on earth now...I've been there many times and never get tired of it. Wish I was headed out west now....
Old 08-03-2006
Snoopyluver

Quote:
Originally Posted by norma023
One thing fer sure, there's always neat little "goodies" in almost everyone's basement!!

heck ya!! I wanna go to his garage sale!! hahaha
Old 08-03-2006

Great news, man I wish all the artists I like would do this from time to time.
Old 08-03-2006

Talking Gary's to-do list

I'm excited about the Olson/Louris stuff!!
Old 08-03-2006

Quote:
Well speaking as my former 9 year old self it's a FUN vacation. I have very fond memories of doing the same thing with my family 40 years ago (Eeek!).
Absolutely. That would be an incredible trip and is alot of fun for kids. My point was that if one was to go to those parks, it's more of a couple day thing than a week thing - whereas Yellowstone/Teton are much more suited for a week or more. Not only because they are larger and have better scenery, but because there is more stuff IMHO. There's no question it would be a fun time for a kid. And there is some great scenery to be had compared to the rest of the lower 48. The Black Hills national forest is very scenic in comparison to most places. I will be at Badlands myself in late September for the day on the way home. Those who live there go to Montana and Wyoming for their road trips. There's a reason. People in Montana and Wyoming go to Wyoming and Montana for their road trips

Quote:
I don't think I would of enjoyed Yellowstone as much as a little kid as when I was older. There are no Reptile Gardens or Wall Drug in Yellowstone
True. But there is alot more wildlife and geysers, which are pretty cool. Plus if your kid likes to fish, there's alot more water in Yellowstone/Teton.

Quote:
Of course Yellowstone/Tetons is my favorite place on earth now...I've been there many times and never get tired of it. Wish I was headed out west now....
You are right, it's amazing country, and my favorite place. I easily put Glacier on the same page as Yellowstone/Teton though.

That's where I'm headed this weekend. Three weeks in Yellowstone/Teton national parks, three weeks in Glacier national park, and two weeks in the Gallatin national forest (which borders Yellowstone to the north in Montana).
Old 08-03-2006
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to solace
hey now... i spent 18 years of my life growing up in Montana, and while i agree that Yellowstone, and more especially Jackson Hole/Tetons, are amazing... we vacationed in the Black Hills numerous times as well.

Glacier Park is up there w/ Yellowstone/Grand Teton too, but i just love the vibe of Jackson Hole. i'd move there in a heartbeat if i could afford it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: