The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2002

a little green grass surprise

Last night I went to see Tift Merritt here in Indy. To my surprise the music being play over the PA while waiting for Tift, was none other than TTGG! I couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe how good that album sounded over the loud speakers. I knew that the album was great, but it just really struck me how great it was hearing it there when I wasn't expecting it. I can't wait to see the Hawks in a few weeks. It will be my 6th show, but I get more excited with every show. Also, Tift was great live. If she travels to your town, I highly suggest that you go check her out. She has such a beautiful voice, and she is a great guitar and piano player. Her band was great also.
Old 10-15-2002

mmmm. Tomorrow the Green Grass is one of my favorites. I never get tired of it.
Old 10-18-2002
Keeper of Water

Tift Merritt

leonard,

i agree that tift & the carbines are great. i have a tape of this oooold 3 piece that tift was a part of back in '96 or so.....it's definitely one of a kind & potentially emabarrassing! kinda mazzy star-ish. anywho! i am new to the board, saw your post, and thought i'd share that!

Old 10-18-2002
Squatter's Rights

Bramble on rose

Yeah I must say Tift is quite a talent, she's a cross between Lucinda Williams and Nanci Griffith. I found a promo copy of "Bramble Rose" release on Lost Highway records USED in my old record store for $7.75 so I picked it up. It's got some really good stuff on it...I also found the New Vic "Sing Some Old Songs" (used) and the new JAck Logan "Woodshedding"(used) as well. But the real score was PAul Wellers "Days of Speed" solo acoustic Live recording from various dates in jolly old England. That's a great recording of live music, PAul is definitley one of my all time favorites going back to my youth and playing lot's of Jam records for my Deadhead friends. At least I was trying to show them there was more to life than 60's rock...
Old 10-18-2002
Keeper of Water

have you ever heard the $2 pistols? they are another great rockabilly band, tift has done some songs w/ their singer, john howie.

(i wonder if the apartment complex i grew up in still exists in indy? gateway court?)

Last edited by Jules : 10-18-2002 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-18-2002

That sounds like a very interesting tape. What is embarrassing about it? I have not heard of the $2 pistols. Are the songs with Tift on one of their records, or do they not have anything recorded?

Also I am new to Indy. I am originally from southern Indiana. I haven't heard of Gateway Court. What side of town was it on? I will let you know if I find out that it is still here.
Old 10-21-2002
Keeper of Water

here's a link to some $2 pistol's info. they're awesome, you should check them out!

$2 Pistols

Old 10-22-2002

Jules

Thanks for the info! I love new musical territory.
Old 10-23-2002

The Leonard Bass

It's cool to see a fellow board member from Indy! How long have you been in town? I wish I could catch the Jayhawks show at the Vogue but unfortunately I have to work that night. Oh well, maybe next time.
Old 10-23-2002

Sean

I have been in Indy for a year and half now. I am a second year dental student at IUSD. I was in Bloomington at IU for four years before that. That sucks that you have to work. No way that you can get out of it that night? I think I would be sick that day. I will definitely be there. You don't play music do you? Myself and the guys I play with have been looking for a bass player and a drummer. Drop me a line sometime when you are going to a show around here. I show up at a lot of them.
Old 10-24-2002
Keeper of Water

Leonard....

i love finding new music as well......

here's another band i really dig.

Hobex

be sure to check out the "musicians/past musicians" part of the site......there is a jayhawks association......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: