The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2004

Poco

Before I was a di-hard Jayhawks fan I was a die-hard Poco fan -- and am still a big admirer of those guys. This weekend I put on alot of old Poco albums just to revisit them. And the more I listened to them -- the more Poco reminded me of the Jayhawks - on may levels.

Including:
1. It still boggles my mind that these two bands -- as talented as they are -- never were more commercially succesful.
2. If Poco was country-rock and Jayhawks alt-country -- well, when pedal hits medal they can rock and really delight in experimentation.
3. Bands that can survive, change players, and reinvent themselves.

Outside the Warsaw in Brooklyn last year, I asked Gary about Poco -- and he smiled and said yeah "those guys were great".

Any thoughts?
Old 04-26-2004

Send a message via AIM to mystic_spiral_3 Send a message via Yahoo to mystic_spiral_3
Are you my dad?

Seriously, ever since my dad started listening to the Jayhawks he's been telling me how much they remind HIM of Poco! I'll have to tell him someone else feels the same way.
Old 04-26-2004

Poco

I agree,POCO was one of the original pioneers of country rock,I bought "Deliverin"when I was in the 7th grade.I think the Hawks should do a remake of "A good feeling to know"Thanks,tonight when I get home its the Poco happy hour.
Old 04-26-2004
Toothless In OTB

Ah, if I could only borrow Richie Furay's voice for a few minutes. I actually went out about a month ago to get A Good Feelin To Know on CD as my cassette finally gave out. Title track and Restrain are 2 of my favorites. I agree that the bands have a similar history, including the main founding member leaving the band after not hitting it big. For those of you playing at home, Poco hit it big 5 albums later with "Legend" with 2 big hits "Crazy Love" and "Heart Of The Night".
Old 04-26-2004

Poco

Legend is great but at times its painfully overproduced and poished,but hey wasn't that the mainstream for 1978?I actually have a tour jacket with that hoarse from the album cover on it.
Old 04-27-2004

I agree -- "A Good Feelilng to Know" would be very cool Jayhawks song - after Gary and the boys put their own spin on it.

If they can do Buff. Springfield's "Expecting to Fly" -- doing a Poco tune is a natural progression.
Old 04-27-2004

I wouldn't want the Jayhawks to become what Poco became at the time of Legend. I actually find that album way overproduced and yes, boring. I love their earlier stuff. I did see Poco on the Legend tour and have to admit they were quite incredible even w/out R. Furay and T. Schmidt.
Old 04-28-2004
Toothless In OTB

I'm not a huge fan of Legend either, my point was you never know. From The Inside is more my speed.
Old 04-28-2004

FYI. There's a pretty neat Poco website up and running these days -- though, of course, not as cool as this JH site. Interestingly, it appears Poco is on a come back that might include appearances with Richie. Really, how great would that be.

Also it appears band members actually provide personal updates on the websites from time to time. see www.poconuts.com

Poco opening for the Jayhawks -- wow. Gary & Richie sing Blue, Richie and Gary sing a Good Feelilng to Know.

Ah, pinch me I'm dreaming.....
Old 04-28-2004

Good feeling

Just went out at lunch and picked up"Good Feeling"on c.d Wow what a great record!
Old 04-28-2004
Toothless In OTB

I would love to hear Gary take on any of Richie Furay's songs. I think his voice would be well suited to the material.
Old 04-29-2004

i saw poco live as part of a free concert with pure prairie league (aimee) also on the bill.

i was impressed with rusty young's use of the lap steel. also, he mentioned how the band was actually on mtv, because they made a video for 'crazy love'. that was 15 yrs. ago now.
Old 04-30-2004

Smile

maybe we can get richie furay into the next reincarnation of golden smog?????
Old 04-30-2004
token middle-aged guy

You could do a lot worse than Richie Furay for a reconfigured Smog. In fact, that might make a good thread (unless it's been done already): who to replace Tweedy in GS? I vote for Jay Bennett. Or Alex Chilton. Or maybe Peter Case. Or Pete Droge. Or Pete Best...

I saw Poco last summer at a free, outdoors event sponsored by Clear Channel. The band It's A Beautiful Day (remember "White Bird"?) was also on the bill. The version of the band now features Cotton, Young and Grantham (?), three core members. Their voices ain't what they used to be, but I blissed out and sang along on "Rose of Cimmaron."

They don't even know what it is to be a fan. Y'know? To truly love some silly little piece of music, or some band, so much that it hurts.
-- Almost Famous
Old 04-30-2004

Send a message via AIM to mystic_spiral_3 Send a message via Yahoo to mystic_spiral_3
Looking for clarification...

Didn't Poco have an 80s song called "Call it Love?" I think this was late 80s, but I'm not sure.

Also, Tweedy's not in GS anymore?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: