The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > OT:
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2009
Oldest Jayhawks Fan

Minneapolis restaurant help..

Jerry and I will be in downtown Minneapolis Tuesday night. We're looking for a nice (but not too expensive or fancy) place to eat that night. We won't have a car and will be staying at the Marriott City Center hotel on 7th street.

Any suggestions for restaurants within walking distance? Now, take into account the fact that I can't walk (comfortably) more than 3-4 blocks at a time, ok? Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 09-17-2009
Mental Midget

Well.

My first choice would be Solera. It is two blocks over on ninth and hennipen (you are on 7th and hennipen), so not too far a walk. You will walk right by The Saloon Bar and notice that there don't seem to be any women on the patio.

http://www.solera-restaurant.com/

It is a spanish tapa place with small plates that range in between 4-9 dollars. You only get 2-4 bites per plate, but the food is fantastic. You have about 50-60 choices on the menu so there is something for everyone. Get the spicy veal meatballs at all costs if you go there.

If you don't spend too much on alcohol, 50-60 bucks will get you a dinner that you would swear should have cost well over 100 dollars. As well, check out the happy hour specials as they sometimes have half price wine on off days. Not sure if a Tuesday is that or not, but check it out.

As well, you get the greekguy guarantee. If you don't like it, I pay.

Anyway, check out the website and decide for yourself.

Also, Palomino is good, but a chain. Hard Rock sucks. Rock Bottom is less expensive and has bad food and is a chain. Capitol Grille is way expensive and a chain.

If you are into Irish food, The Local is a good place to go and get a reuben and a bowl of delicious pea soup. A bit further walk but more on the bar food price side instead of pricey.

Also, I would be not doing you a favor if I did not tell you to go to Barrio. It is a "mexican tapas" type of place, owned by the same guys who own Solera (above). Stick to beer and the price is great. Order a $40 tequila off of the huge tequila menu and you can go deep.

Again, Barrio gets the greekguy guarantee, but only for the food. Service is spotty, but even the bad service you can overlook because the food is so so good.

I hope that helps.
Old 09-17-2009
Oldest Jayhawks Fan

Thanks for the suggestions GG! We're probably going to try Solera or maybe Palomino. The menus at both look great! The both are in my walking distance requirement also.

I have a question about the light rail from the airport. Have never taken this. Is it easy to navigate? We'd be wanting to go to the stop on 5th St. downtown.

Remember everybody, this question is coming from a small town gal so be kind....
Old 09-18-2009
Vibey-ness

Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
Hey Joyce,

The light rail is actually quite simple once you're on it as the stops are easily identified and there is plenty of seating. It's only one line, so at the airport, get on the train not heading towards the Mall of America.

The only issue I found was that getting to it in the airport was a little confusing because it wasn't very well signed. That whole airport could probably use more signage, but people are very friendly, so just asking people usually fills in the gaps and the airport does have maps here and there.

I hope you have a great trip!
Old 09-18-2009
Oldest Jayhawks Fan

Thanks Craig, I'm good at asking questions so it should work out. I saw where there was a shuttle bus also that takes you between terminals which I would like to use, since the Humphrey Terminal is the farthest from the rail line (I think)....
Old 09-18-2009
Vibey-ness

Yep, that shuttle is nice and fast too. It just takes a minute, but there is no seating in it.

It looks like the LRT stops at both terminals though. Here's a page with some more info: http://www.mspairport.com/GroundTran...t-service.aspx
Old 09-18-2009
Mental Midget

greekguy and Truscott, your Twin Cities connection!
Old 09-18-2009
Scooter Pilot

I find the light rail very easy to use and often take it to/from the airport. Better than cab really (certainly cheaper!). When you get to downtown, you'll be taking the train to the end of the route, how easy is that? You can walk up Hennepin Ave from the tracks, it'll be just 2 blocks to your hotel. If you decide to stray outside walking distance for dinner or entertainment, it's easy to get a cab, and the downtown bus zone is only 50 cents. As to GG's recommendation, I agree, Solera is lovely. I hope our current good weather holds, and you have a pleasant time in our city!
Old 09-19-2009
Secretary to the spirits

Sheesh, Craig knows more about the lightrail than I do...
Joyce, I hope you all have fun. I am in the city the day before and cannot stick around, otherwise I'd stop by and say hello...
Hope you have a great time!
Old 09-19-2009
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekguy View Post
greekguy and Truscott, your Twin Cities connection!
Hookers and blow service as well?

Enjoy your trip, Joyce.

Scrobbler
Old 09-25-2009
Mental Midget

So where did you end up going?
Old 09-26-2009
Oldest Jayhawks Fan

update

We had a nice leisurely time in Mpls. Wonderful stay at the Marriott City Center, great hotel! We ate Tues. night at Palomino, we loved it! Also the next day we ate lunch at Glueks. Cathy, I had the grilled cheese with broccoli, very good!

Didn't do much (I really didn't want to leave that hotel room!), walked around on Nicollet Mall, First Ave, just stayed in the few blocks around the hotel. The weather was not too great, cloudy, and looked like rain most of the time.

The light rail worked out fine. We didn't catch the shuttle bus though, so we did the walking through the parking lot, weird set up for sure. Funny thing I thought, we bought our tickets for the train, but no one ever asked for them, is that normal??

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Old 09-28-2009
Vibey-ness

I'm so glad you had a good time, Joyce! And isn't Glueks a cool place?! John and Cathy know the best places for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlile View Post
Funny thing I thought, we bought our tickets for the train, but no one ever asked for them, is that normal??
Yeah it's normal enough; our regional commuter transit does the same thing here. They go by the honour system most of the time and have random checks. Most users of the system are honest and pay their fare, but those who think they're clever and don't pay usually get caught sooner or later and the transit authority gets lots of money from them in the end.
Old 09-28-2009
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
Ahhh...you had one of the broccoli and grilled cheese sammies at Glueks !!! They rock!!!!
My Blog
My Business Website

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: