The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2014
Queen of Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
Agree with Kim on Doriann - she's a true, dedicated music fan and is just about the nicest person you'd ever want to meet - a real sweetheart. She loves the band and supports them unabashedly. I have no time for anyone who has a problem with that.
+1 I'm proud to call Doriann and Kim friends. And I'm lucky to know them thanks to this board which Sandy founded so long ago and has done such a great job running. Nutshell and I have been going to shows for about 8 years thanks to this board. We all went to Minneapolis for the shows and had a blast thanks to the Fanpage.
Old 09-08-2014
Bunkhouse Trading Post

I think I'm remembering why I ceased to be very active in the online fan community.

Anyway, back to the music.....

I watched the replay a time or two today. Great stuff. Would make a fine "Live At First Avenue" DVD someday.
Old 09-08-2014
Unbridled Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jacieb Send a message via Yahoo to jacieb
Hi,

Many opinions of where things went wrong here (or right, depending on your perspective) , but several very clever members of the board took a certain phrase as homophobic. This phrase does indeed imply casual anal sex (http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=1914213), not just good friends joined at the hip. I thought it was a gay slam as well.

I get that isn't how it was intended (maybe it's a regional thing?), but since several took it the same way, I did want to point out that the phrase doesn't just mean bffs - just to prevent possible use of and offense to the phrase in a later setting.
Old 09-08-2014
Unbridled Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jacieb Send a message via Yahoo to jacieb
And yes, that video trended high all day, which is awesome for the band! And the fans...can't forget the fans.

I was actually telling my husband I would pay to see shows like that, especially live theater. Of course, this coming from the person who watched the season premiere of Doctor Who at the movies.
Old 09-08-2014
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KU97 View Post
Dorianne's page is private. She can run it as she pleases. If you don't like it, don't participate.
Done and done!

I think this whole hullaballoo is hilarious. We began by shredding a troll who posts with the obviously direct intent to stir shit up, and may I say he does an exceptional job at it - one that frequently goads me into response. The board is both more infuriating and more entertaining thanks to his presence. But then it descended into this ridiculous mudslinging of increasingly personal nature. I must say, I find the vitriol directed at non-troll accounts here particularly telling. It isn't difficult to determine who has the real problems here as a result.

As far as "Doriann" is concerned, I care not one whit in either direction for her. I literally know nothing of her other than what she posts here, but I will forever stand by my earlier comments on fascist attitudes regarding positivity on other sites. You can be the nicest person in the world, but if you can't handle criticism, then something is wrong with you, not with critics. Sometimes, "slagging" has its place. I bear no ill will toward the person behind the account. But I'll not bend to censorship, no matter its aim.

Neither do I care whether homophobic slurs were or were not uttered on this fanpage. I've frankly not found it beneficial to go back and read all the posts that have appeared in my brief absence from the board, but if words that can be easily interpreted as homophobic have appeared here, once again I think they speak for themselves. If you must know, I am friends with the guy who plays greekguy in real life, and when the shitstorm started, I thought it'd be entertaining to let him know ridiculum had started. I am not responsible for his antics - that's entirely up to him. Nevertheless, I think his work is funny...in its way. He's not my "butt buddy" in any sense of the word.

Where double negatives are concerned: if you had a few brain cells, you would realize double negatives are perfectly acceptable and grammatically proper when their meaning is correct and sensible. They are only "faux paux" (sic) when they indicate a meaning antithetical to the author's intent. My double negative was perfectly intelligible to people who can read. Shove that up your highly qualified science teacher's certificate, you goddamned moron, LilDEVILladyK, who had to create a secondary board ID in order to continue posting here because her original ID didn't feel comfortable being here anymore. Perhaps you could take a class from me and LEARN SOMETHING ABOUT COMPOSITION. I may be a curmudgeon, but you know nothing of my "boyhood dreams." I'll be sleeping well tonight, and I'll be going to a job I quite enjoy -and am good at - tomorrow morning. What can you do?

BTW, I think it's unbelievably awesome that we got to see some Jayhawks shows in their hometown this weekend. I only saw one, but from the reports, it was a grand set of concerts, and the band seems to have been in fine form. It's kind of funny that the fact that one of the band's former members' absence was able to generate this level of vitriol. I suppose this is the fruit of Brown Jenkin's labor, and I must congratulate him on stirring the shit better than I could have imagined possible. Regardless of what happens in this insular community, though, I am sure the band is doing what they love and having a wonderful time in the process, which I am immensely thankful for. They are a great group of artists, and fans are lucky to have them as a "going concern." No matter what fans think of each other, The Jayhawks persist, and I find that comforting. Good on ye, mates! Keep fighting the good fight. Talentless fans will hold down the internet fort - you guys do your thing the way real pros do!
Old 09-08-2014

Send a message via AIM to mystic_spiral_3 Send a message via Yahoo to mystic_spiral_3
Well it seems while I was at a convention in New Jersey I missed a great concert and a fair amount of drama.

(1) For those of you who went to the show, I'm glad you had fun. Sounds like it was awesome!

(2) The Facebook page is run by how the owners wish to run it. This point has been noted several times already.

(3) Regarding the "no slagging" rule: Calling someone a "fucking idiot" or "goddamned moron" qualifies as slagging. Such comments are not allowed on the Facebook page. Saying you don't like a Louris song, an Olson song, how the Star Tribune articles were written, opinions on the content in those articles, or that "Kirby's Tune" is several minutes too long of electronic weirdness is allowed.

(4) I've met Doriann and Kim and I consider them my good friends. I have a Ph. D. in engineering and believe I can tell whether someone is an idiot or moron. These ladies don't fit those descriptions.
Old 09-08-2014
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_skoglund View Post
I think I'm remembering why I ceased to be very active in the online fan community.

Anyway, back to the music.....

I watched the replay a time or two today. Great stuff. Would make a fine "Live At First Avenue" DVD someday.
There was a time when the rancor was only a part of the experience, though, as you'll recall!

I haven't watched the broadcast. I think I'll forever be a "concert memory" type guy. Hell, I hardly ever even listen to bootlegs anymore in favor of savoring a scrap of recollection. Must be the old fashioned curmudgeon in me!

There must be a TON of video footage in the can of a variety of qualities. I would bet a very respectable compilation release could be cobbled together were there money and proper demand for such an artifact. Sadly, as this place and the state of the recording industry would seem to indicate, I'd bet that's unlikely. It's really too bad the "What if you made a classic and no one cared" idea is more likely than anything to be the Jayhawks' legacy in the broader public mind.
Old 09-08-2014

Well okay...

I don't know any of you outside of message boards so I guess that makes me an outsider here (something I'll address here in a sec) but I'd just like to clarify a few things and then I will be on my way.

I re-read the thread to try to see what I missed and the first nasty thing I came across, that was directed to another person on the board, was Doriann calling axe "vile". I don't know the history between you guys or anything so that struck me as a very strong response to him saying he didn't like the page she runs. From there things obviously escalated between them and GG but I chose to comment on the usage of the term "butt buddy" because I found it tremendously offensive and shocking to read on a page of people I assumed were above that kind of term.

I accept that you may not have meant it that way Doriann (and I appreciate that you clarified that) but I honestly believe that most people hear that term and associate it with being a homosexual slur. Maybe it's regional, seems to make sense in a way, I'm in California and I can pretty much guarantee that no one would use that term loosely in any other context out here. Like I said though I absolutely take you at your word that you didn't intend it as such. As Jacieb pointed out now at least in the future you and anyone else reading this will know that some people hear that term in that context and think it's an ugly thing to say.

I also get everyone rushing to Doriann's defense and all but it's kind of crazy to read that someone is the nicest person you'll ever meet shortly after reading them throwing some pretty rough insults at people. Like I said though all I have to go on is what I'm reading so I am out of the loop. Which brings me to my larger point:

I'm gonna go back to lurking now because you guys are collectively not very good at making "outsiders" feel welcome. I've been on this board for ten years now and I still don't feel a part of the community here and judging by some other folks comments I'm not alone in this. It's something I really think the active members of this board should consider and see if there is anything they can do to change. I've had kindness shown to me by several of you ranging from Shug giving me background when I naively stepped into another argument years ago to the much demonized BJ/PP (same person for sure?) sending me a link I was looking for. However the net result of the energy here is that I don't feel like participating much.

This isn't a slam on people arguing or disagreeing, I think that is healthy and great and comes from a place of everyone feeling passionate about this band we all love, it's a slam on the tone of inside baseball that seems to be ingrained. Ultimately though that is all my problem not yours. Imma slink back into the shadows now but I hope you'll at least consider what I've written here. This place is a great resource for info and whatnot but might be more help to the band if it was a better community for people to get involved with.

TL;DR Lurker going back to lurking, airs grievances first.
Old 09-08-2014
Bad Spellerr

perspective was one of the first caualties. civility was a close second. i have had some terrible things said about me here, i mean way out of line, by somebody in this thread. I just don't get why it has to get so personal. I don't blame pathayes for bailing.
Old 09-08-2014
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekguy View Post
I've seen you. Believe me...nobody wants to hit that.
Let me guess, you're just trying to be cute and don't mean what you say.

Kim is a wonderful human being, as anyone who has ever met her in person would find out.
Old 09-08-2014

Well. I usually don't like to respond to threads that are filled with insults, baiting or whatever, but a few things here in this thread did make me want to add my two cents.

First of all, while I can see how Doriann's one phrase might be taken as homophobic, SHE certainly is not. I know Doriann, and consider her a great friend, and she is absolutely not homophobic in any way. Just wanted to clear that up, because no good, rational person wants that label associated with them.

Also, as Green Goddess pointed out, I've been lucky enough to meet and become very good friends with fellow Jayhawks fans because of this board. I still check in almost daily, and this board and the band's music helped me immensley when things in my life were really awful. I'm sad that some fun fanpagers don't post here anymore, but I understand why, and that is their choice. I happily will see then at shows when I can! I don't have a facebook account, it's just not my thing at this time. If I did though, I would join Dorian's page first thing. Some great people hang out there.

This page, however, still holds a dear place in my heart, again for reasons that I won't go into now. I feel like new fans might check this page out. I think the more people on here the better. I am glad that some great people, who I saw in Minneapolis over the weekend, still do post here. (CZ, for example!)

That brings me to another point. Patrickhayes, too bad you didn't feel a part of things here, and that you want to go back to lurking. I think most of what you posted, seemed to be reasonable, and well said, and it's a shame that you won't post more. Again, everyone is free to hang out and post where they want to though.

I might add more later, but I want to go comment on some of the positive things I just saw.
Old 09-08-2014

wow, what a great run of shows! Last time I saw a run of shows up to this caliber were the June 2010 comeback First Ave shows! And those were awesome!!

I do not care to take sides on the bashing currently going on, but would like to give a shout out to those from out of town that I was able to talk with after the shows (list not complete by any means) --> Kim, Dave Sk., Dorianne, GreenGoddess (who was the 3rd person in your group, another fanpager?), and the usual's of course - CZ, sandy, Ice etc etc

And if there is a poll going anywhere, count me in as being in favor of seeing this lineup on stage in front of me, as it's been waayyy to long......!

Last edited by Runningpotleaf : 09-08-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-08-2014
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutshell View Post

That brings me to another point. Patrickhayes, too bad you didn't feel a part of things here, and that you want to go back to lurking. I think most of what you posted, seemed to be reasonable, and well said, and it's a shame that you won't post more. Again, everyone is free to hang out and post where they want to though.

I might add more later, but I want to go comment on some of the positive things I just saw.
Hear, hear.

Scrobbler
Old 09-08-2014
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacieb View Post
casual anal sex
The is nothing casual about it. It's a very serious bidness!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	well-that-escalated-quickly.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	3179  

Scrobbler
Old 09-08-2014
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calexico View Post
The is nothing casual about it.
Funny! In talking with someone else re: this thread today, I cited that very same meme.

I mean that REALLY got outta hand fast.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: