The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS43 View Post
The Jayhawks are a band that most people on the board appear to like. Can't we enjoy the current line-up of the band playing the songs they're playing now without drudging up other line-ups?
That's not a realistic outlook, especially considering how recent Mockingbird Time was.

It just feels classless, and is made even worse by the lack of new material.

The Jayhawks were right to move on, IMHO when Olson quit in 1996. But this new thing is just pure nonsense. The name, IMHO, has been sullied by this recent lineup instability.

It looks like no one has any idea of what to do.
Old 09-03-2014
Mental Midget

Honestly that is the biggest thing that bugged me about that sniggerdly bastard coming back to try to ruin The Real Jayhawks a few years ago. The onstage attitude that seemed to indicate he thought the crowd was there to see him lead a band he was not a part of for so many years. In particular the part at one show in which he said, "Let's hear it for the band!" as if he was Gladys Knight and there may or may have not been some Pips back there backing her up.

Seems as if the arrogance he is displaying about something so trivial as the name of the band he sucked at being in would prove my perception to be a reality on that day. A day that until a few months ago I had assumed would be my last Jayhawks show before The Real Jayhawks announced this tour.

Good riddance.
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Jenkin View Post
It just feels classless
Mark's comments do feel classless.

Quote:
The name, IMHO, has been sullied by this recent lineup instability.
Mark sullied the name by leaving? Interesting theory.

Quote:
The Jayhawks appear to be doing just fine. Can't speak for Mark Olson.
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekguy View Post
In particular the part at one show in which he said, "Let's hear it for the band!" as if he was Gladys Knight and there may or may have not been some Pips back there backing her up.
Was that at the Basilica show? I remember hearing/seeing that at least once. I'm not sure if he meant to be condescending, but it certainly felt odd.
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekguy View Post
Seems as if the arrogance he is displaying about something so trivial

This was a guy who refused to ride in an expensive tour bus, so his actions seem to contradict your perceptions.

Also, he moved to the desert and recorded albums in a shack. Maybe if he moved to Hollywood, demanded top producers and insisted on using the Jayhawks name for himself, you might have a point.

So far, Olson has never sued for the name, never used it for his own, and seems to live a simple life in rural areas. Not really "ego" red flags.

But it is nice chatting with you all again. Prior to this Olson news, this forum was dead for years.

Last edited by Brown Jenkin : 09-03-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2014
Mental Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukpac View Post
Was that at the Basilica show?
Yup
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
This was a guy who refused to ride in an expensive tour bus, so his actions seem to contradict your perceptions.
How is refusing to ride in a tour bus evidence of not being arrogant?

Quote:
So far, Olson has never sued for the name, never used it for his own, and seems to live a simple life in rural areas. Not really "ego" red flags.
He's never used it for his own because he doesn't have a right to.
Old 09-03-2014
Mental Midget

Baby wants to take his ball and go home.
Old 09-03-2014
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calexico View Post
Suffering mother of Jesus. This back and forth fuckarama is just like being transported back to 2004/5/6.

Who gives a fuck is Olson created/named/gave birth to the band? Simple fact is he agitated more than once to get the fuck out of there and he's welcome to go back to spouting his (mostly) unlistenable bollocks.

This is a bit of a shitstorm. I think everyone would have been better served by keeping their mouth shut. That includes some contributors on this board.

In interviews, written or spoken, Olson always struck me as if he felt he was the only "authentic" member of the band. He was the one carrying the torch of Gram and Townes. As if he was somehow better than everyone else in the band. In short, he always struck me as the kind of tool you would cross the room to avoid in the pub.

Retiring the band name? Honestly, no one gives a fuck. People buy tickets based on who/what they know. If they were called Exploding Testicle Talking people would say "oh yeah, they used to be The Jayhawks" and go or not based on that name recognition.

No doubt, Louris had his issues and was probably a pain in the fucking arse to get along with too at times. Most musicians are completely self involved and egocentric twats. So no one is innocent here. Shit sticks to everybody.

It's just a pity that they can't either ignore each other now or just agree to exist seperately and have done with it rather than vomiting all this fuckery into the press and written by a real dickhead too. Everything I've read from this guy gives me the impression that he feels he is Minneapolis' version of Donovan. He was instrumental in the creation of all rock music to emerge from the cold north. I'm sure he had a hand in The Beatles formation also.

Here's a fucking novel idea : If you like the band's output then go see them when they appear near you. If you don't then don't fucking bother

As always, sir, your words of wisdom cut to the quick.

For the record, Gary and the rest of The Jayhawks have absolutely not said a word about this unfortunate affair other than a very brief statement made to the Strib several months ago for the article that finally saw the light of day last week.

The statement from Gary:

Quote:
I have the utmost respect for Mark Olson. We have shared many great years together as a duo and with the Jayhawks, and I look back fondly on the legacy we have left behind.
That's it, the sum total of The Jayhawks' public output on this matter. No back and forth on their part, nor any "fakery vomiting" either (nice turn of words there). The Strib chose to patch together what they did when they did because...well, I guess because that's what music journalism is these days. The band is very much ignoring the situation and is more than happy to "exist separately." They've got 3 fantastic reissues that have just been released and are concentrating on promoting them and preparing for a fall tour and, hopefully, some more dates in 2015.
Old 09-03-2014
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
They've got 3 fantastic reissues that have just been released and are concentrating on promoting them and preparing for a fall tour and, hopefully, some more dates in 2015.
Is there an officially set release date on the vinyl reissues yet?
Old 09-03-2014
Unbridled Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jacieb Send a message via Yahoo to jacieb
Quick intermission:

Hello, strangers!!! I'm loving all the activity (though it's all rather nutty). Since The Jayhawks never get out west, I still live vicariously through the board.

It's good to see the rest of the band doesn't have to get into a public feud with Mark - they have the fanpagers ready to fight the good fight (with each other!!!)

And Cale, I always try to read your BRILLIANT posts with an appropriate accent from the land of Cork. I especially like the way you say "f*ck", which I imagine is a bit more like "foock" rather than my local "fuhck".

(Sorry for the swears, though they were in context.)

Carry on...
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
The Jayhawks have absolutely not said a word about this unfortunate affair other than a very brief statement made to the Strib several months ago
Why would they? It would only draw attention to Olson's claim, which some consider valid.

I'd avoid talking about it too if I was in the band. It has a De-legetimizing power. I'd probably sweep it under the rug of denial and move on.
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
But this new thing is just pure nonsense. The name, IMHO, has been sullied by this recent lineup instability.

Do you ignore things that have been previously written on purpose or...wait, don't answer that.

What is "nonsense" about a group of musicians who made 3 albums touring to support reissues of those album using the name they were released under? What are they supposed to do, stay home? Tons of bands would kill for a chance to have a record company reissue their records and have the chance to go on tour to support them. Your bias is obviously clouding your judgement but this is the way the record biz works, even in this compromised era.

You're free to think that the band name has been sullied but I'm afraid you're in a very very small minority there.

The band totally has an "idea of what to do" and they're doing it. Reissue albums (as part of a long term project that was formulated, approved and funded long before Olson rejoined the band BTW). Promote said albums. Tour to support said albums. Repeat if necessary. Exactly the same thing they did for HTH/TTGG. Exactly. You could possibly be the only person in the universe who doesn't get this but, then again, what else is new.
Old 09-03-2014
VILE

Quote:
You could possibly be the only person in the universe who doesn't get this but, then again, what else is new.
Oh he gets it. He's just a troll, and trolls deserve to be derided, not engaged. Point and laugh; don't argue.
Old 09-03-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeeugene View Post
Is there an officially set release date on the vinyl reissues yet?
Sept 30, knock on wood. Virtually the entire UMe reissue calendar for August had their vinyl release dates pushed back because of Vinyl Mania, which shows no signs of abating.

BTW, vinyl editions of HTH and TTGG will also be re-released on this day so all 5 of the band's major label albums will be available at the same time on vinyl - a truly momentous occasion.

Sadly, the Sony/Legacy CD reissues of HTH and TTGG from just a few years ago are out of print. Again. As is the North Country Anthology. The fact that Rubin and American Recordings have changed label affiliations every 3 or 4 years is not helping catalog availability for bands like The Jayhawks.

Last edited by sacred roots : 09-03-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: