The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009

Letterman

Hi - Frequent lurker who seldom posts here. Was anyone else disappointed in their performance last night? I really wish they would have picked a different song. "Turn your pretty name around" has great harmonies but frankly 90% of the song is them repeating the same line with little change in tempo or energy. I wish they would have picked a song that showcased Gary's voice at least occasionally. I felt like it was difficult to hear him with Mark's nasally tone drowning everything else out. My wife made the comment, "If I had never heard these guys before, this song song wouldn't get me to run out and buy their album."

I love almost everything these guys have done together, but last night just didn't do much for me personally.

Thoughts?
Old 02-06-2009

zzzzzzz

I fell asleep and missed it. Are there any links anywhere yet? I can't find any (youtube, etc)
Old 02-06-2009
LiladyK

I think it would have sounded perfect if we could have even heard Gary's vocals. I commented about this on another thread. Mark kept looking at him trying to match up with him.

This is a very typical occurence I notice over and over and over when they perform, it's like Tony gets sawed in half or something, and it frustrates me.

Mark's voice is bold and Gary's isn't. On the C.D. it all matches, but it's like these sound guys need to be warned ahead of time of this problem.

Last edited by LiladyK : 02-06-2009 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2009
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
This would be the link that shows the musical guest from the show...looks like the last band that was uploaded on to the website was one from January 30th...and lists Mark and Gary as upcoming guest...they don't have the John Hiatt & Lyle Lovette performance on the site yet either...

You would think since they had Isla Fisher's interview up from last night they would have Gary and Mark performance...I dunno...maybe it has something to do with music clearance??!!

So here is the link...I'll keep an eye on it to see if they update it with Gary and Mark's performance...

http://lateshow.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/live/
My Blog
My Business Website
Old 02-06-2009
Vibey-ness

Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiladyK View Post
I think it would have sounded perfect if we could have even heard Gary's vocals. I commented about this on another thread. Mark kept looking at him trying to match up with him.

This is a very typical occurence I notice over and over and over when they perform, it's like Tony gets sawed in half or something, and it frustrates me.
Gary is a very soft singer and Mark has a strong voice, so it must be a big challenge to get them balanced properly.
Old 02-06-2009
Vibey-ness

Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
It seemed repetative because they had to cut out two verses to bring it into the 3:30 limit that the Late Show required. And yeah, Gary's vocals were hard to hear because the sound person got the mix wrong.

It's unfortunate things worked out the way they did, but hopefully they got a few more people to get the record.
Old 02-06-2009
Secretary to the spirits

I wondered same, Kim. And when all is told, editing is a tricky thing:
You can edit for time and the arrangement will take the life out of the song, or you can edit for quality and make the song uneven. It's something you have to play around with to find the tonal center or the moral crux or whatever "centers" the song for the listener. Who's got that kind of time when they are busy with other projects, family and getting ready for a record release? Not that it isn't worth the investment of time to consider for a proper impact...
Just look at how picky Neil Young is about sound, when all of us wait with drooling mouths for his archival issues that have been promised since the first "Decade" collection was issued.
Does anyone remember that far back?
I wish I could watch the playback with the eyes of those unfamiliar and guage the edit on innocent ears.
Since I can't, I can only say it was exciting to see them on national TV--as thrilling as back in the day when they went from Twin Cities band to getting to play "Waiting For The Sun" to folks nationwide...
Old 02-06-2009
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
Kim!!!!! Of topic...but I love your avatar!!! You look soo cute!!!!

{back on topic} OK...call me a dunce, but what part of TYPNA did they take out. I didn't notice it... And I was singing along!!!
My Blog
My Business Website
Old 02-06-2009

i thought it was mixed fine - listening again right now on dvr. are you guys listening in stereo? older tv's are going to give you only one channel which could account for gary's voice getting knocked out. tough to tell on song selection - it is mellow - but in a haunting way. it really showcases their harmony and is a diff kind of song. something like doves and stones may be a little more catchy and upbeat, but who knows what makes people buy records anymore.

Last edited by ohwellokay : 02-06-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-06-2009
scratch and dent girl

Send a message via Skype™ to true-k
The song that stuck in my mind all day after the Toronto show, like on a reel, was Saturday morning on sunday street.
I think THAT"S THE SINGLE.
It's soft, it's relaxing.. it's catchy...it's dreamy.. it's hopeful. It's adult contemporary. It's sexy, pure... cinematic.

So yeah, I sorta agree with you.. a song they sing out for exposure has to draw non fans in.. to get them involved to go back into the catalogue of old jayhawks. Discover the boys. Someone hearing on the tv has to go.. hey, maybe next time I will go check them out.
I agree typna might not get a new fan in.

There were time limitations. Maybe the sat morning song doesn't have enough of Mark.
My second choice I love that showcases them now is When the wind comes up. I love that for the simon and garfunkle feel, it's soft, its a unique for our time sounding song. For 2009, no one sounds like that. It would stick out and attract a listener. Again, hopeful words.. will you be there? When the times are tough,, are you gonna be there? The guitar after is so beautiful.
So.. again a nice single.
If there is such a thing as single anymore...
Go Mark and Gary.. keep that train a movin'' you are strengthening your fabulous brand.
Old 02-06-2009

"Black Eyes" has one of the more immediate melodies on the album. With that performance of TYPNA, non-fans were waiting forever for the hook, and it never really came because of the so-so performance.
Old 02-06-2009

+1 Who knows why people buy records? I would have picked Doves and Stones or Kick the Wood or maybe Bloody Hands, but no idea if that would hook non-fans. Just what I like best.

PP- I really like Black Eyes, but it has the same problem as TYPNA -- its quiet. So if what they played wasn't right for some people I doubt Black Eyes would have been better for them.

We are all hoping for the guys' sake that they get more fans, sell more records, make more money, etc. They were probably excited to be on Letterman and maybe nervous to get the song right. Probably don't even think like we do at all. They played what they like which is how its supposed to be.

From what I heard, it was an excellent performance. Gets me psyched for tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwellokay View Post
i thought it was mixed fine - listening again right now on dvr. are you guys listening in stereo? older tv's are going to give you only one channel which could account for gary's voice getting knocked out. tough to tell on song selection - it is mellow - but in a haunting way. it really showcases their harmony and is a diff kind of song. something like doves and stones may be a little more catchy and upbeat, but who knows what makes people buy records anymore.
Old 02-06-2009
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to solace
i have to agree some... great performance, but the levels should have been reversed.

Mark's vocals should always be just a touch lower than Gary's, as it's been pointed out, his voice cuts through easier. was really hard to hear Gary at all on Letterman
Old 02-07-2009
LiladyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl incognito1 View Post
Kim!!!!! Of topic...but I love your avatar!!! You look soo cute!!!!
Thanks...thought it was time to put that impersonating imposter cartoon bitch to bed alas! I mean really, this cartoon chick has been claiming to be me for how many years now....at least since 2004 if not earlier.
Old 02-07-2009
Haggischomper

We are all looking forward to the Devillady pic, if yer putting a new one up!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: