The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2011

Manchester

Just a quick recap from last night's show.

Mark and Ingunn came on just before 8 to a fairly packed crowd and a warm welcome. Mark was surprised that there were so many there - he probably remembers playing the same venue a couple of years back (in the smaller room downstairs) when about 25 people turned up.

The Jayhawks came on before 9. Great atmosphere, great show. Setlist similar to previous nights I think. A lot of TTTG/HTH and a few from the new album, which went down well. Only 1 encore though of 3 songs, finishing with High Water Blues, which sounded great to me. Not sure why they didn't do another encore, but they seemed genuinely pleased with the reaction from the crowd.

Some highlights - I'd Run Away, Tampa to Tulsa, Over My Shoulder, Gary's guitar playing
Lowlight - having to ask the couple standing directly in front of us to stop talking throughout the show. To be fair to them, they did

Enjoy London - it'll be great
Old 08-05-2011
Blondie

Sounds great! I'm very excited about tonight.
If your rhythm ever falls out of time,
You can bring it to me and I will make it alright.

My Flickr Account
Old 08-05-2011

A brilliant night

What a great show last night. You could tell it was going to be a good gig when the box office had signs up saying "The Jayhawks - SOLD OUT".

I only got into the Jayhawks around 2000, so honestly never thought I would see the current configuration of the band playing live. With respect to all other former members of the band, there is a reason that this line up is considered the classic line up.

Gary's playing is immense. Only slight downer (IMHO) was that his mike was too low, so couldn't hear his vocal that well. It was fine when he was lead (I'd Run Away for example), but when there was the "univoice", to me it seemed a tad Mark heavy. Still good though.

Mark was very good too, and seemed to enjoy playing with the band.

Karen was awesome, and her keyboards (and vocal) really complemented the songs.

Tim seemed to smile throughout the WHOLE concert! Glad he got to sing Tampa to Tulsa too. He's the Jayhawk's dark horse.

Marc just ooozes "cool" - solid playing as always.

Atmosphere was really good, and the band seemed geniunely appreciatative. Not 100% on the order of the Set list, but it seems roughly the same as the Glasgow one, with a slightly different encore:

Witchita
Two Angels
Real Light
Red's Song
Nothing Left To Borrow
Closer To Your Side
Two Hearts
Settled Down Like Rain
Take Me With You
She Walks In So Many Ways
Blue
Pray For Me
I'd Run Away
Miss Williams Guitar
Black Eyed Susan
Bad Time
Waiting For The Sun
Up Above My Head

Encore

Over My Shoulder
Tampa To Tulsa
Sister Cry
High Water Blues

The new songs were very good - SWISMY is a brilliant, poppy, uplifting song, and Black Eyed Susan was immense - the outro was really good, and I can't wait to hear the studio version.

Highlights - I'd Run Away (NEVER heard a bad version of that song), Nothing Left to Borrow, Tampa To Tulsa, Up Above my Head (especially the start), and suprisingly for me, Reds Song (never really been a favourite of mine, but hearing it live was awesome).

Lowlights - none really, except for a a nasty wiff of BO from the bloke next to us.

Thought Mark's opening set was pretty good too.

All in all - a brilliant night.
Old 08-05-2011
Queen of Green

Thanks for sharing! Getting ready to buy my Pittsburgh tickets this morning!
Old 08-05-2011

Just echoing the views of the others, great show, good atmosphere, good energy about the band. Mark seemed to be having a ball, Gary's guitar playing was excellent. I do think Mark's voice has become quite harsh, and at times overpowered the other voices (a minor criticism). Really enjoyed the setlist, although the odd later track surely wouldn't have gone a miss, i'd love to hear Mark on Stick In The Mud or Tailspin etc.
Song highlights for me were, Take Me With You, Miss Williams Guitar, Over My Shoulder and Tampa To Tulsa. Thought they ended a bit strangely with High Water Blues, seemed totally alien to the rest of the night, not bad, just different.
Jay, you and Christine will have a great night tonight, enjoy!!
Old 08-05-2011

Looks like a great set. I'm so psyched for NY even though it seems years away.

Have to look up High Water Blues -- seems like an odd way to end but the band must like it. I remember Golden Smog ending their show at the Bowery with a cover (with the guy from Hold Steady??). I forget what it was and it wasn't particularly bad but was a bizarre way to end the show and I'm pretty sure most fans would have preferred a Golden Smog song. I guess the band has to have fun, too!
Old 08-05-2011
doriann

I think High Water Blues is a tune on the new record.
Old 08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmweiss View Post
...I remember Golden Smog ending their show at the Bowery with a cover (with the guy from Hold Steady??). I forget what it was and it wasn't particularly bad but was a bizarre way to end the show and I'm pretty sure most fans would have preferred a Golden Smog song. I guess the band has to have fun, too!

I was there, and I'm pretty sure the show closer with Craig you are recalling was "I Wanna Be Your Dog."

This?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8TJmjDtJRc
Old 08-05-2011
Blondie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Jay, you and Christine will have a great night tonight, enjoy!!
Thanks man!! We'll be heading off for London in about 30 minutes.

Sounds like a great gig man... again, shame you can't make the London one... there's a spare ticket if you want to jump on a train now?
If your rhythm ever falls out of time,
You can bring it to me and I will make it alright.

My Flickr Account
Old 08-05-2011

Yes, exactly. Kind of interesting -- Craig almost killed the people in front with the microphone but I don't think it fit the show at all and there might be a million songs that I would have preferred (without Craig even though I like him otherwise).

Note to bands: The encore is not the time to experiment with some krap that the crowd doesn't want to hear. Do your big hit, do one of your old songs that nobody has heard for awhile --- send the crowd off on a good note!

P.S. Plenty of time for the krap during songs 5 through 9 -- nobody can quite remember what was played at that time anyway. "Well....they opened with Witchita....and I remember Settled Down Like Rain...and Blue near the end was great..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Fan View Post
I was there, and I'm pretty sure the show closer with Craig you are recalling was "I Wanna Be Your Dog."

This?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8TJmjDtJRc
Old 08-05-2011
semi-retired, fully wired

Hmm... Guest stars, covers, fooling around, little sloppy around the edges ... Doesn't sound like a Golden Smog show at all!
Old 08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
Hmm... Guest stars, covers, fooling around, little sloppy around the edges ... Doesn't sound like a Golden Smog show at all!
Always the smart ass. It was a great show. I Wanna Be Your Dog didn't ruin that fact but it was a poor choice for me and didn't fit in with any part of the rest of the show. If the band enjoyed it, then great. If some people thought it was cool, then great. Like I said, I could have thought of any number of songs that would have been better.
Old 08-05-2011

Send a message via AIM to philipgar
I think covers during an encore aren't a bad option, especially if it's a cover most people know. Ending on a new song (that hasn't been released yet) is a bit odd because the crowd isn't familiar with it at all. I like new songs in the set, but I could see why that would be odd.

For a smog show, I think all rules are thrown out the window with regards of what to play and when.

Phil
Old 08-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post

Sounds like my idea of a good time, personally.

No snark: I hope that Gary will still find some time for Smog in his life, even though the Jayhawks have reformed and he is clearly very busy.

I think it is a good outlet for him.

- Glenn
Old 08-05-2011
Bad Spellerr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Fan View Post
Sounds like my idea of a good time, personally.

No snark: I hope that Gary will still find some time for Smog in his life, even though the Jayhawks have reformed and he is clearly very busy.

I think it is a good outlet for him.

- Glenn
I am totally with you. There is something off-beat and very cool about GS. So many talented writers and players. It seems like they don't feel any pressure live- like they're WAY relaxed and can play some sweet music and have loads of fun at the same time.

When I saw them in San Fran on AFD, I remember watching Gary get annoyed with Dan Murphy when Dan decided to solo over Gary's solo- of which Gary backed out. Standing in the front watching Gary look at Murph like, "What's that all about??" was pretty funny.

Tim O supported that show and came out and played drums on Jennifer Save Me. Cool times.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: