The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2005

Political Rantings during concerts ?

Ok, I want to pose a question, and it is my hope that this does NOT turn into hate, trash talking political dialog between two parties (or any political figures).

For purposes of disclosure, I'm more right leaning than most on the board, and a HUGE Jayhawks fan since HTH.

I must admit, I was dissapointed with what appear may become regular stapes of these Marc / Gary shows: bashing George Bush. While I respect their opinion (that's what makes America great), I'm getting frustrated going to concerts (Lucinda Williams, Marc & Gary, etc) where they interject their political opinions.. I KNOW they are not aligned with me politically and I respect that, but blatant political angst towards one man, woman or party during a show can make the evening less of a joy for me. I always felt music was a place for expression, of course (I AM a Beatles fan and the Beatles, particularly Lennon, did this, but did it more on an issues basis than a political party basis), but also for bringing people TOGETHER, not dividing them.

As I gear up for seeing Marc and Gary in a week, I'm going to do my best just to brush aside their expressed opinions on GW and the Right Wing, BUT, it will be a bit frustrating as I didn't go there for that as much as to hear wonderful harmonies, two voices meant to be heard together, great music etc....

BUT, it raises an interesting question. how do others feel about this issue ? And in answering the question, try to consider going to a concert where you heard the artist express strong, not subtle opinions that differed from your own ? Would that turn you off ? Would that prevent you from seeing a show ? Just curious how others feel about this ?

Thoughtful discourse appreciated... and genuinely interested in folks thoughts...
Old 02-20-2005
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Yea jammincrowe I can see your point and I would imagine it gets to be a pain in the ass when the views expressed don't align with your own.

I am pretty ambivalent when it comes to this sort of thing.Unless it turns into a political rant.Some artists do things like this just to get a rise out of the crowd,some do it because of firmly held political convictions.Either way that's ok with me...showmanship or heartfelt.

But you know after a couple of proclamations,then get on with the tunes and let's enjoy what EVERYONE is here for..the music.

But you must admit,whatever your alignment with the GOP,that GW just is prime fodder for broadsides from artists.You may be right wing as you say but surely even you can see that this man is an idiot and a puppet.He is the reason that Americans and American policies are detested throughout the world.THAT is unfair because the actual American people are the nicest people you can ever meet.The real American people,not the politicians or the tourists that others encounter.But hey what do I know..I am just an outsider.Looking for a honest politician I suppose...pipe dream.

Sorry if this seems like a rant which you didn't want when you posted!

Scrobbler
Old 02-20-2005

It doesn't bother me that some artist rant in between songs. Many times these rants are just extensions of their songs, so if the rant sucks then the song ought to suck too. I've never really had to think about this dilemma in reality, but I probably wouldn't go to see a concert if I expected to hear right wing rants, songs or whatever
Old 02-20-2005

Nice avatar

Nice avatar Boogieman !!!

----

Also, interesting thoughts and perspectives so far.. thanks...
Old 02-20-2005

I'm with the crowe on this one. Although I am about as liberal as they come (Wellstone was a little right of my political affiliation), I just think all of the political crap gets soul-sucking BORING after the third or fourth mention. The Mark show at the Turf Club that I downloaded had a great sound, but I just couldn't go through yet another song about poor ol' GW.

On the other hand, if I go to a Lynyrd Skynyrd concert (as drugged as I would have to be), I probably shouldn't be too surprised that Old Glory gets run up the flagpole a few times.
Old 02-20-2005
Vicodin addict member

Quote:
Originally posted by Calexico

But you must admit,whatever your alignment with the GOP,that GW just is prime fodder for broadsides from artists.You may be right wing as you say but surely even you can see that this man is an idiot and a puppet.He is the reason that Americans and American policies are detested throughout the world.
Good point. Without even discussing ideas, it is easy to see how dumb this guy is, so I guess you can't not help but laughing at him, and if you don't agree with what he does then...

But, hey! I'd love to see a Ted Nugent show! Cat scratch fever!
Old 02-20-2005

I'm with ya jammincrowe. Mark can rant all he wants, but if that's where the shows/tunes are devolving toward, I'll stay home and listen to the good stuff.

To me it's all about manners--it's not polite to invite someone into your home and ambush them with "unwanted political advances". It's classless and childish.

After the George Bush malediction at the Madison show, we stood up and "saluted" Mark O with a little free speech of our own.

Overall it was a great show. Great to hear those beautiful harmonies again--but I hope we are not seeing the beginning of the end.
Old 02-20-2005

I think I agree with most of the opinions expressed here. Iím okay with a political comment or two, but I donít like to be bashed over the head regardless of my agreement or disagreement with the politics. Like Gandhi said, real change comes from touching peopleís hearts, not their minds (rough paraphrase). Thatís why I find music to be powerful and inspiring and speeches are usually boring and weak. Music is the language of emotions, and words are of the mind, so the words need to be subtle, in my opinion, so that the music can do what it does. I donít like overtly political music. If you want to sing about politics, sing about the emotions (like compassion and love or sadness or whatever) behind the politics and youíll have a more effective message. Iím not liking Mark Olsonís political songs, way too obvious.

Iím a political progressive from California living in the South (I know, I know what the hell am I doing here?) and I went to see Skynrd open for the Allmans recently. (Never seen Skynrd, I love the Allmans and have been seeing them for years). I felt pretty out of place and disgusted with the political opinions being expressed in the music, so I think I know maybe how you guys felt, jammincrowe and cheesegator. Skynrd kinda sucked anyways (past glories, present day pitiful to my ears) so I wonít go see them again, but if I liked them Iíd have a hard time subjecting myself to the political expressions of the band on stage and in their audience. Not fun. Itíd be easier for me if they kept it to themselves. I canít control it, though, so I have to take it or leave it. If artists are going to talk politics from the stage, itíd be nice if they did it in the spirit of open dialogue rather than bashing. But a concert is about music, so Iíd just as soon have no political talk at all, let your songs do the talking.
Old 02-20-2005

Example of subtlety

"Trouble that's what we had
And everything that goes around
Comes around in a bittersweet lament
Well my heart's already broken down
Looking for a sweeter sound
Looking for a brighter day

I'm face down on the pavement
Step aside, see the light, close your eyes
And let us live our lives
As they rally 'round the sinking ship
Looking for a better way
It was just the blind leading the blind"

These lyrics and this music expresses beautifully how I feel about being the person I am living in America and its current political/governmental/social scene.

"It was the blind leading the blind" describes what is going on in America pretty damn succinctly and articulately, in my mind. Sadness, reserved hopefulness, so very bittersweet, all emotions I feel. Lovely.

But its very much open to all sorts of interpretations and most people would probably get something very different out of it. That's the way I like my art.
Old 02-20-2005
Haggischomper

I couldn't care less about any political ranting. If it doesn't fit in with my ideology then so what? It is, after all, their opinion - not mine. I doubt I would change my opinion based on what anyone else said cos I'm my own man but I may gain a new perspective on something or learn something new. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-20-2005

I love the Jayhawks as much as anyone, and would love to catch a Mark and Gary show, but they're coming nowhere near where I live. However, after reading the set list from Ames and seeing at least two anti-Bush songs, I know that listening to that would have ruined the rest of the night. As a conservative and a proud American, it would be nice to see anti-Bush songs outnumbered by anti-Islamofascist songs by at least, oh I don't know, a two to one margin? How about 'Poor old GW' followed by 'Evil Old Saddam'? Too much to ask?

As a Jayhawks fan, I'd love to just hear the music. I love freedom of speech as much as anyone. So now do the Afghanis and Iraqis. It's your concert, Mark and Gary, so you can say what you want, but while you're bashing Bush, you might want to keep in mind that now, thanks to the United States, an Iraqi altcountry band on a two-man reunion tour can get up on a stage in Baghdad and criticize their government without fear of being thrown in a human shredder.
Old 02-20-2005
Vicodin addict member

Re: Political Rantings during concerts ?

Quote:
Originally posted by jammincrowe
Ok, I want to pose a question, and it is my hope that this does NOT turn into hate, trash talking political dialog between two parties (or any political figures).

Sorry, but I think that after what Dan has said your fears will become true...
Bitting my tongue for the moment...
Old 02-20-2005

Yes, I am the one who started the ball rolling with 'surely you can see that Bush is an idiot and a puppet.' But, at least that's not 'hate, trash talking political dialogue', is it.
Old 02-20-2005
Haggischomper

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Yes, I am the one who started the ball rolling with 'surely you can see that Bush is an idiot and a puppet.' But, at least that's not 'hate, trash talking political dialogue', is it.
That's okay - I mean you DO love freedom of speech, right?
Old 02-20-2005
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan
No that was me....I like rolling balls.

Scrobbler

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: