The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014

Location: The Magic Fingers Massage Parlor at Manchester & Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
No full band outtake for "In the Canyon." We decided to use the live version to showcase how good the Stephen McCarthy version of the band was in concert. Plus, for some reason, Gary omits the actual phrase "In the Canyon" from the demo version so it was good to get a "proper" version of the song on record. For whatever reason, this song has definitely taken on a life of its own as a fan favorite, a phenomenon that started right here on the Fanpage courtesy of an audience recording of this very performance. Pretty good for a song that was only ever played twice in concert!
I think the Zombie and I have been and still are about the biggest Fanpage advocates of this song. It's just a great tune - imagery by the boatload and a catchy-as-hell chorus. I loved it the first time I heard it at First Ave. in July 2001. Gary has kindly obliged me a few times by playing it at his solo shows since 2010. And big thanks to PD for his role in getting versions of it on both the ...North Country set and the RDM reissue. Hopefully it will see the stage on the current tour. The acoustic versions are great, but I think a full band version with this line-up would be incredible.
Old 07-09-2014

Random thoughts on the previously unreleased bonus tracks from the caffeine-scrambled brain of a zombie, part 1:

Kirby's Tune (studio outtake) - pretty kewl Krautrawknoise jam.

It’s Up To You (alternate version) / Sound of Lies (rough mix) -

It's interesting to hear the early/alternate versions. Especially love the stripped down "SOL", it reminds me of those recent Louris/Grotberg duo shows.

A Part Of You (demo) - When I first heard this, I thought it kinda sounded familiar, but I didn't know why. Then it got to the line, "this world is crazy" and a light bulb went on.

It's an early version of the song that eventually was released as "This World Is Crazy" on Jessi Alexander's album, "Honeysuckle Sweet". Gary collaborated on the song with her and Gary Nicholson. They joined Gary onstage at his solo show in Nashville in September 2002 to perform it. (If you listen to the audience recording, Gary even mentions that he called it "A Part Of You".)
Couldn't find her studio version on YouTube, but here's a nice live version of Jessi performing it:

This World Is Crazy

Life’s Little Ups And Downs (live) - O'Reagan always knocked this one out of the park. His former bandmate (in Joe Henry's backing band), Eric Heywood, guests on pedal steel. Plus a chance for people to hear Jen Gunderman's fine work. Her backing vocals blended well with Gary and Tim, and she did a terrific job of filling Karen's shoes. The whole band was firing on all cylinders that night after being on the road for much of the year. Might be my all-time favorite Jayhawks show.

Greta Garbo (demo) - This song title was on the setlist for the secret "Yellow Leather" show at the (late, great) Lounge Axe in Chicago in 1998. A recording of that show never surfaced, and I've always been curious about what this song sounds like. Now I know...

Five Cornered Blues (demo) - It's always nice to see another "Mystery Demo" get officially released. Saw them perform this one at First Avenue in September 1998. This has some additional lyrics that aren't on the original "Mystery Demo" version or the recording of that live performance.
Old 07-12-2014

PD, are the expanded editions of HTH and TTGG being reissued? It looks like all Amazon has in print are the straight albums. It isn't clear exactly what they are; the release dates are from 2002, which seems to suggest they are from when Universal took over distribution the last time.
Old 07-21-2014

Thoroughly enjoyed the liner notes on SOL PD!
Old 07-21-2014

Send a message via AIM to mystic_spiral_3 Send a message via Yahoo to mystic_spiral_3
I also enjoyed reading PD's notes. I thought the liner note writer choices were interesting. There was an archival perspective from PD, a view of what it was like to work with the band from Bob Ezrin, and an fan perspective from David Wild on RDM.
Old 07-22-2014

Discovering that "This World is Crazy" is not really a writing collaboration between Louris and Jessi Alexander but a 95% Louris original ("A Part of You") puzzles me. It makes me question a lot of the other co-written tunes Gary has been involved in.
Maybe his publisher finds ways for him to place songs on more mainstream albums, on the condition that the recording artist gets a co-writing credit ? Some Dixie Chicks songs come to mind (Everybody Knows), some of the Kelly Willis stuff, maybe Courtney Jaye ? It would be very interesting to know which of the "co-writen" tunes are proper collaborations and which are pure Louris songs given away.
Old 07-22-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebe11 View Post
Did the first five tracks from the initial Rainy Day Music bonus CD not make the cut?

-------------

The initial release of Rainy Day Music included a bonus CD, entitled More Rain, which included:

1. "Fools On Parade" - 3:29
2. "Say Your Prayers"(Demo) - 3:35
3. "All The Right Reasons"(Alternate Mix) - 3:30
4. "Caught With a Smile on My Face"(Demo) - 3:49
5. "Tampa To Tulsa"(Alternate Mix) - 4:08
6. "Waiting For the Sun" (Louris, Mark Olson) (Live performance by Gary Louris on April 26, 2002 at The Woman's Club, Minneapolis, MN ) - 4:07
This is the version I have too. Pet peeve of mine to have to have multiple copies of the same CD to be a completist.

Last edited by DoubleBellybustr : 07-23-2014 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-23-2014
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleBellybustr View Post
This is the version I have too. Pet peeve of mine to have to have to have multiple copies of the same CD to be a completist.
The original plan was to have the reissues be double CD editions with a second disc devoted to rarities, unreleased material, etc. If that plan would've held, the original RDM bonus material would definitely have been included. However, as it turned out, the project got scaled back to single disc versions, which left about 25 minutes of room for bonus material. Universal was insistent that as much "new" bonus material as possible be included this time around so it really wasn't viable to recycle the previously released bonus material because it wouldn't have left room for any "new" bonus material. In the case of SOL we used some previously released material for bonus tracks because there simply wasn't that much useable stuff to be found in the vaults. For RDM, it was the opposite situation - there was (is) tons of potential bonus material.

And, frankly, the original bonus material on RDM doesn't hold a candle to the new stuff IMO. In 2003, there was one legit outtake - "Fools on Parade" - and two legit unreleased demos - "Say Your Prayers" and "Caught With a Smile on My Face." Of those 3, CWASOMF is the clear winner and probably the only track we would've used this time around if we were to have picked a previously released bonus track for the 2014 edition.

As for the remaining three 2003 bonus tracks, the 2 "alternate" mixes are, at best, curiosity pieces and the live "Waiting For the Sun" is merely recycled from one of the Women's Club live albums.

Speaking of pet peeves, I always prefer to have new bonus material versus paying for the same rarities again. And again, in some cases (Elvis Costello, Bowie, The Byrds, etc). That was likely the thinking from the Universal marketing people and, frankly, I'm a bit surprised that people are actually bitching about this. If we would've simply recycled the 2003 bonus material and not included any new rarities I imagine there would've been a whole slew of people griping about not getting anything new. A classic "no win" scenario if there ever was one.

Last edited by sacred roots : 07-23-2014 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukpac View Post
PD, are the expanded editions of HTH and TTGG being reissued? It looks like all Amazon has in print are the straight albums. It isn't clear exactly what they are; the release dates are from 2002, which seems to suggest they are from when Universal took over distribution the last time.
The digital versions of the HTH and TTGG reissues from 2011 and the 2CD version of the North Country Anthology have been restored to iTunes (or will be shortly - it looks like HTH is still the old version). As for physical copies, vinyl versions of the 2011 HTH and TTGG reissues will be repressed and will come out with the the SOL/Smile/RDM reissues.

Universal currently has no plans to repress the CD versions of the HTH and TTGG reissues nor the North Country Anthology which are all now currently out of print. As hard as it is to believe, those titles are only available as used items after less than 4 years from the original issue date! Welcome to the modern music biz.

Any move to repress those OOP CDs will have to come directly from the American Recordings people (i.e. Rick Rubin and his minions) and we plan to make the case for that sooner rather than later once all of the hoopla from the current batch of reissues subsides.
Old 07-23-2014

Quote:
The original plan was to have the reissues be double CD editions with a second disc devoted to rarities, unreleased material, etc. If that plan would've held, the original RDM bonus material would definitely have been included. However, as it turned out, the project got scaled back to single disc versions, which left about 25 minutes of room for bonus material. Universal was insistent that as much "new" bonus material as possible be included this time around so it really wasn't viable to recycle the previously released bonus material because it wouldn't have left room for any "new" bonus material. In the case of SOL we used some previously released material for bonus tracks because there simply wasn't that much useable stuff to be found in the vaults. For RDM, it was the opposite situation - there was (is) tons of potential bonus material.

And, frankly, the original bonus material on RDM doesn't hold a candle to the new stuff IMO. In 2003, there was one legit outtake - "Fools on Parade" - and two legit unreleased demos - "Say Your Prayers" and "Caught With a Smile on My Face." Of those 3, CWASOMF is the clear winner and probably the only track we would've used this time around if we were to have picked a previously released bonus track for the 2014 edition.

As for the remaining three 2003 bonus tracks, the 2 "alternate" mixes are, at best, curiosity pieces and the live "Waiting For the Sun" is merely recycled from one of the Women's Club live albums.

Speaking of pet peeves, I always prefer to have new bonus material versus paying for the same rarities again. And again, in some cases (Elvis Costello, Bowie, The Byrds, etc). That was likely the thinking from the Universal marketing people and, frankly, I'm a bit surprised that people are actually bitching about this. If we would've simply recycled the 2003 bonus material and not included any new rarities I imagine there would've been a whole slew of people griping about not getting anything new. A classic "no win" scenario if there ever was one.
Thank you for the excellent explanation.
Old 07-23-2014

Quote:
Exactly.
Old 07-23-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhousetunes View Post
Exactly.
You like the "...bitching about..." part?

Just stop it. No need to hammer a newbie poster. No wonder there is few on this forum.
Old 07-23-2014
Bad Spellerr

Quote:

Just stop it. No need to hammer a newbie poster. No wonder there is few on this forum.
i don't think it was meant personally. no board drama :-)
Old 07-23-2014

No hammering at all. If we can't air our pet peeves here where can we?
Old 07-23-2014
VILE

Quote:

AW GEEZ...NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN.

If you want to see a hammering, wait for greekguy to show up.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: