The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2004

What Was Your Coolest Musical Moment at First Ave.

Mine would be....Man, there are so many, I mean it....But it might be Richard Thompson singing 1952 VINCENT BLACK LIGHTNING way back in the day, 1993 maybe. One light was on in the whole place, the spotlight on him. You could have heard a pin drop by the time he crooned "and he gave her his Vincent to ride"
The crickets all leapt up and met the moon with a standing ovation.
Old 11-03-2004
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Oh man Thor...never at the place but Richard Thompson and that track...fucking aces!!

Scrobbler
Old 11-03-2004
Blondie

Mine would be watching the Wilco DVD.
If your rhythm ever falls out of time,
You can bring it to me and I will make it alright.

My Flickr Account
Old 11-03-2004
Senior Alleycat

Mat's major label signing party @ the Entry in '85 - back to back nights of booze, mayhem and Bob in a dress walking around the crowd with that silly ass smirk! just one of many!!!
Old 11-03-2004
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Wow..sorry to hear about that BF...I would rather a bit of room too at a gig but that's just because I'm a fat folker!

And tell the truth...you were trying to hit that guy up!!We won't judge you....although some states would!!

Scrobbler
Old 11-03-2004
51-7

my goodness, can there be only one ...??

the annual jayhawks holiday shows over the past several years...
the flops, trip shakespeare, semisonic, et al...
cracker and CVB shows...

first avenue holds so many good memories its so
sad to see that its doors have been closed.

how ironic is this... even if we make such an obstinate debacle of
the presidential election... certainly in a democracy such as ours...

and surely with all the grassroots support that first avenue
has garnered over the years and across the masses there
must be some willingness to undertake an effort of organizing
some sort of fundraiser or benefit or something like that at
another nearby club to petition the reopening of first avenue
or the public lynching of allan fingerhut or some other such
sensible directive?

just that i can't sit here quietly and believe that first avenue
will close its doors forever and we will all be content to let it
quietly fade into the shadows ...??
Old 11-03-2004

1st Ave

I was thinking about what were my favorite moments at 1st Ave as well. Without seeing Thor's post I came to the conlusion that my 2 favorite shows were Soul Asylum in July of 1991 and the same Richard Thompson show he mentioned, which I think was actually March of 1994 (toring in support of his box set).

The SA show was the band at it's peak playing in front of a packed house in sweltering heat. 2 sets, acoustic and then full on electric. The band was previewing the songs for Grave Dancers as well as playing all my favorite songs from Hang Time and Horse They Rode In On.

The RT show was saw fun to watch a musical genius at work in all of his varied styles. No opening act. His backing band was fabulous and at times it was just him, completly captivating the audience (eg Vincent Black Lightning).

As for the Entry, my favorite moment was seeing Bob Mould give a solo acoustic show there March 1991. In addition to playing his great solo & Husker songs, he gave a sneak peak on some songs that would later wind up on Copper Blue.
Old 11-03-2004
Scooter Pilot

too many to choose from

I agree with Nat'l joe, there's too many.

In recent memory, the Honeydogs 10,000 years cd release party stands out, that was an awesome show with some 14 or more musicians on stage at the same time.

Of course the December Jayhawks holiday shows (so sad not to have one this year!). All those times that they'd say "We're gonna try out some new songs tonight." What a treat! And the fabulous double-headers: Jayhawks plus Bellwether, Jayhawks plus the Program.

NRBQ. Those guys are crazy, and they hardly ever come to the midwest.
Old 11-03-2004

Workin' hard at 1st ave

When I think about First Avenue I get such a flood of memories but one of my favorites is of Wilco. I’m pretty sure it was during the pre-Being There tour. This was the Wilco with the over flow of on stage banter and “Easy Rockers.” I had been coming to First Ave. for several years and pretty much had a handle on my best route to the front of the stage. So there we are front and center with just one row of people in front of us, two of whom were young guys 17-ish. It’s about half way through the show and, these kids are particularly laying on the stage, arms are bent up with their heads resting on there palms just staring blindly up at the band, completely unenthused. Tweedy walks over to these young gentleman and says, “Did your mom drop you off?” “Com’on, man we are working hard up here.” It was one of those moments that I’ll always remember.

Here’s hoping there are many more memories to be made.
Old 11-03-2004

I've spent 20 minutes listing all the shows I have seen at First Ave over the years (over 80, and I haven't hardly delved into the somewhat fuzzy college years), and I am still having a hard time identfying the "best" show or the "coolest" moment. First Ave was just always THE place to go to see a show. It always sucked to see a show that I was enthused about taking place at the sub-standard Quest or Fine Line.

The oddest moment that I ever saw took place at the Seventh Street Entry, where one of the bouncers paid a stripper to do a modified pole dance (using the microphone stand) while a band that contained a couple of guys I knew played. Sure, the bouncer stopped it before it got too out of hand, but it was quite memorable. I think the band broke up shortly afterwards, probably knowing that they had reached the apex of their career that night, and there was little reason to go on.
Old 11-03-2004
Mental Midget

Jay Farrar-2003

Though Jay's performance the last time he was here may not be the most awe inspiring show I have ever seen in comparison to a few Jayhawks shows I have seen, it easily tops my list when thinking about this topic.

Usually, when my wife and I go to shows we try to get up front and into the mix. That weeknight, Greekgal suggested that we hang back a little bit, listen to the music.

We started and ended the night to the left of the stage as you face it, next to the edge of the dance floor. My wife sat on the rise or whatever it is that surrounds the stage and I kind of stood behind her. It must be said that the two of us consider Jay's music and his incredible voice to be one of the greatest blessings on music today.

I have heard the song "Tear Stained Eye" many times, but it has always had a special place in the heart of my family as our youngest daughter is named for a relative called Genevieve.

So I am in the perfect position, watching an absolutely kick ass show (the tour he did with Canyon), in my favorite place to ever see a band,and towards the end Jay did a couple of accoustic songs before the rocking finale. As you can probably guess, he played that song...perfectly. It is one of the few times that I couldn't hold back tears in thinking that I am with this woman who has helped to make my life so damn happy sharing a moment that could not have been scripted any better. I walked out of that show determined to do nothing more than remember just how much I care about her, on a daily basis. Nothing has changed to this day.

I only hope I can do it again, though it won't be at First Avenue next Thursday when Jay was supposed to perform again.

Sorry for the sappy message, I just have never been able to tell that story to anyone who would understand besides my wife...sniff, sniff.
Old 11-03-2004
Charming legs

Send a message via MSN to illbecominhome
Holy Christ, greekguy, that was some beautiful post!!!

"This evening the pigeons turned to bars of gold in the sun’s last light"
Old 11-03-2004

Snif

I think that there are more than a few on this board who can appericiate the power of a song and it's ability to cement a perfect moment. Thanks for sharing yours.

(Here I thought my boy thininkg of me and "Pecan Pie" was sweet.)
Old 11-03-2004

Jay

One of my favorite "moments" was when Jay & Mark played "Within Without You" the day after George Harrison passed away. It was a needed pick me up.
Old 11-03-2004
VILE

Hey Opie, don't you mean "Love You To"?

"Each day just goes so fast...
I turn around it's past...
You don't get time
To hang a sign on me-e-e-e-e-eeeee..."

Or something like that.

*My own favorite moments at FA to come soon...after class.*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: