Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2016
Guru

Jayhawks on WFUV

Nice little interview and acoustic performance:

http://www.wfuv.org/content/jayhawks-2016
Old 09-26-2016
Bad Spellerr

This was a good interview. Some of the questions aren't ones we've heard so many times.
Old 10-25-2016

Inaccurately Reported Information

This WFUV article states inaccurate information:

"the one constant has been founding member Gary Louris".

Gary is not a founding member of this band, nor has he been completely "constant". Not only did he leave for a while after that car accident, but this band was founded by Mark Olson and Caleb Palmiter in 1984. Neither Mark or Caleb knew Gary when the band was founded.

"Currently, the band includes much of its original lineup (with the exception of Mark Olson)"

The band includes none of its original line up.

Appears that someone already made a comment on the article about it. I just noticed!

Last edited by Isabel'sDaughter : 10-25-2016 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-25-2016
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel'sDaughter View Post

Gary is not a founding member of this band, nor has he been completely "constant". Not only did he leave for a while after that car accident, but this band was founded by Mark Olson and Caleb Palmiter in 1984. Neither Mark or Caleb knew Gary when the band was founded.

"Currently, the band includes much of its original lineup (with the exception of Mark Olson)"

Appears that someone already made a comment on the article about it. I just noticed!
I hope you're applying your rigorous criteria to every music article ever written because the vast majority of them contain similar "inaccurate information." It would be one thing if this article contained bad info about something that really mattered, like "Gary Louris, who wrote all of the band's material" or "keyboardist Marc Perlman." But expecting your average writer in this era of limited, if not nonexistent, editing and fact-checking to possess the kind of detailed knowledge of a devoted uberfan is laughably absurd. The English call such people "trainspotters" and the growth of online fan communities has given ample venues for such people to debate trivial details and minutae rather than engage in something meaningful and productive. Gary's brief absence from the band in 1987 is very likely not common knowledge to 99.9% of those who consider themselves "Jayhawks fans."

Here's a test you can use on articles like this. Does the info in dispute fundamentally alter what the article is trying to convey? Furthermore, does the info really matter to the reader's understanding of the artist or the topic at hand? Granted, the statement "the one constant has been founding member Gary Louris" is factually incorrect. My old journalism professors would've called this a "fact error" and given me a failing grade if I submitted this. But does it really matter? More importantly, how many people on God's green earth really care about this? I can almost guarantee you that I know the answer and that I can count them on one hand.

Last edited by sacred roots : 10-27-2016 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2016

Yes, every article should be accurately written, with accurately stated facts, and about everything ever written, not just articles in relation to "The Jayhawks".

In addition, it is worth noting here that there definitely seems to be some sort of "illusion" that some of the current fans of this band wish to adhere to and promote as truth.
Old 11-12-2016
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post

More importantly, how many people on God's green earth really care about this?
Or to put it another way: "At this point, what difference does it make?"
Old 11-14-2016
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabel'sDaughter View Post

They say a lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is just getting its boots on.
Well, those boots were made for walkin', and you know how the rest of it goes...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: