Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2016

Oh boy. Troll alert.
Old 04-24-2016
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefCrowe View Post
Assuming they are not on the bonus cd, any chance of hearing them somehow in the future?
Probably not.
Old 04-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleo View Post
Oh boy. Troll alert.
Nah, trolls usually are at least a little funny. This is just musings of a bitter, clueless sad sack who thinks they know something that they don't.
Old 04-24-2016

Well, I thought I'd come back here to discuss the new LP…
Old 04-24-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortuleo View Post
Well, I thought I'd come back here to discuss the new LP…
Nothing wrong with that! The initial press, radio and fan reaction to the new album has been overwhelmingly positive, in some case extremely so. The record isn't even out and it's already generated more buzz and garnered more acclaims than the sum total of the last one. Hop on the positive train - it's crowded but there's still plenty of room.
Old 04-24-2016

Interesting how the album seems to bear the influence of geeky music conversations between Buck and Gary. Buck's co-production is felt through some obvious references (Byrds, Big Star, Power Pop, 80's college rock) and theories (how a guitar should or could sound, how to write a middle eight, how not to write a middle eight) more than through aiming for a specific sound.
I feel Gary has always had some kind of a complex of being too "poppy" or too much of a "melodic writer" and is often attracted to edgier, rockier or more experimental stuff, even if it's not what comes naturally out of him. This album obviously tries to balance things out between the two approaches. As I said in a previous post, I tend to prefer the poppier side of the Jayhawks myself, but the more I listen to the album, the more I think it holds well together. Just finished a Side 1 then Side 2 listening party on NPR, and I thought the sequencing was fantastic. Isabella's Daughter is a great side closer, for instance. It makes more sense as a side closer than as a stand alone song. Same with "Ace". It's groovy and interesting, but I prefer it as the first song on Side 2 than just in the middle of a 12 songs playlist. All in all, I think the LP is all the better for being their first real "vinyl first" release since their debut, some 30+ years ago.
Old 04-24-2016

I hear a nod to Alan Parsons at times on the new record. Really looking forward to pulling the shrink wrap off of the new vinyl
Old 04-25-2016
Bunkhouse Trading Post

I'm really anticipating this release. Even though the whole thing is streaming and they've made tracks available through Pledge Music, I've only randomly heard what the Current has played so far.

I don't want my first impression of the album to be based on an MP3 or a streaming version. I want to hear the full version.
Old 04-27-2016

Did the pre-order so got 4 of the songs. Really liking Quiet Corners and The Devil is in her Eyes. Looking forward to hearing the whole thing a few times through, but certainly can see those 2 being live favorites. Gorgeous vocals and some nice solos.
Old 04-28-2016
Secretary to the spirits

From streaming to vinyl...

Thanks to a friend, I got the vinyl a little before the release date, and it's of
no consequence.
Anyone who know's Gary's sense of direction doesn't need one format to "confirm" anything. The songs confirm themselves. The streaming sounds were fine in the headphones, and the truth is as always: Ear-worm-worthy melodies and counter-points, and enough studio noodling to add something extra.
You won't be disappointed.
Old 04-29-2016

The Dust of Long-Dead Stars and Lies in Black & White are awesome. Love that they are back to back. Happy days! And at first listen, I really liked Leaving the Monsters Behind (love the title) and Isabel's Daughter.

I notice the comparisons here and FB to Mockingbird Time and usually lots of criticism for MT. I'm not comparing, but I think it will be sad if Gary throws away stuff like She Walks in So Many Ways or Pouring Rain at Dawn which are great songs. Still really enjoy parts of MT and hope they will be played live. Quiet Corners is not so far off from She Walks...
Old 04-29-2016
Blondie

I've been listening to this album all day today courtesy of the official download... what an album, I love it.

I hear ya, km, about the criticism for MT... but, as much as I wanted to love that album, it just never grabbed me. I don't think any of it was horrible, but it just didn't hit me... it has some good songs, but the whole album sounds a bit like they felt they had to make it, rather than that they were burning to make a great new album... it felt almost as if they felt that they had to make because they were altogether again, and they then made an album that sounds like they thought an album with the "original lineup" ought to sound like.

This new one does feel like they had a burning desire to make a new statement. like they were in it for the joy of making new music... without trying to replicate previous albums made by the same lineup.

I'm not sure I'm explaining myself very well here... but, that all said, that's just my personal opinion, and I have no idea if any of this was actually the case and I'm glad you like MT.
If your rhythm ever falls out of time,
You can bring it to me and I will make it alright.

My Flickr Account
Old 04-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
This new one does feel like they had a burning desire to make a new statement. like they were in it for the joy of making new music... without trying to replicate previous albums made by the same lineup.
Bullseye. That's EXACTLY what happened.
Old 04-29-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmweiss View Post
but I think it will be sad if Gary throws away stuff like She Walks in So Many Ways or Pouring Rain at Dawn which are great songs. Still really enjoy parts of MT and hope they will be played live.
Unfortunately the MT period is still so painful to everyone in the band that I don't think the time is right to play those songs live, especially when there are so many other things in their repertoire that they love to play. You're right, though, even though the consensus is that MT is far from the band doing its best work there are some nice things on there would sound great live with the current lineup. Sadly, for the time being, MT is going to be something of a "lost" album, even though, ironically, it's only 5 years old.
Old 04-29-2016
Bunkhouse Trading Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
Anyone who know's Gary's sense of direction doesn't need one format to "confirm" anything.
Was this directed at my comment? I didn't need to "confirm" anything, it's just a personal preference of how I wanted to listen to the full album for the first time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: