The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2004

Rick Rubin and The Jayhawks?

Something I've always wanted to happen......

Rick Rubin has always been involved with The Jayhawks. Although I see he's tagged as an executive producer on some of the albums, I've always wondered why he has never full-on produced one of their projects.

Does anybody have an ideas as to why this is?

He's produced some of my favourite CD's. In particular "Wildflowers" by Tom Petty. I've sort of always envisioned him bringing that sort of sound to the Jayhawks. Not to mention that it would likely create a "buzz" with him as producer.
Old 08-13-2004

yes...

I think it'd be awesome for that to happen. And considering "Wildflowers" is one of my favorite albums ever made...it would rock.
Old 08-13-2004
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Yea I must say I'd like to see him involved full force.He had struck me before as a bit of a publicity hound but he seemed to have a genuine interest in the likes of Johnny Cash.To actually want to help Cash and not his own career as a producer/mogul.

Quote from an interview Rubin did:

You’ve been fortunate that your personal taste has struck so many chords with the public. How do you think you developed that taste?
I was lucky enough to grow up with The Beatles. What little I know about music is from them.

How well schooled is that?

Scrobbler
Old 08-14-2004

It's funny because Gary speaks very well of Rubin and both Chris and Rich Robinson has mentioned many times how they don't want anything to do with him.

On the first printing of Shake Your $ Maker by the Crowes he isn't mentioned in the liner notes, but when it started to get really succesful he stuck "Executive Producer: Rick Rubin" on it.

Rick Rubin working with AC/DC didn't work out all that well either.

With the Crowes and AC/DC being my favorite bands and both having spoken in negative words about, I've always felt a bit suspicious about the guy

Last edited by BoogieMan : 08-14-2004 at 05:01 AM.
Old 08-14-2004
Haggischomper

I really enjoyed what he did with AC/DC. I think he has a knack, production-wise, of getting rid of all the bullshit and recording the essence of a band.
Old 08-14-2004
mellow

Rick Rubin produced two of my favourite CD's from the nineties....

The aformentioned "Wildflowers" by Tom Petty....

and "Nobody Said It Was Easy" by The Four Horsemen.

I think he could really bring that ultra-cool Rubin sound to The Jayhawks. The guy can lend his talent to different genres....going from The Chilli Peppers to Cash an if I'm not mistaken, he's also produced The Cult and Masters of Reality. But don't quote me on that.
Old 08-14-2004
Haggischomper

Quote:
Originally posted by bluerodeo
Rick Rubin produced two of my favourite CD's from the nineties....

The aformentioned "Wildflowers" by Tom Petty....

and "Nobody Said It Was Easy" by The Four Horsemen.

I think he could really bring that ultra-cool Rubin sound to The Jayhawks. The guy can lend his talent to different genres....going from The Chilli Peppers to Cash an if I'm not mistaken, he's also produced The Cult and Masters of Reality. But don't quote me on that.
I was gonna mention Masters of Reality too - I am fairly certain he did the first album (which is fabulous). I also enjoyed his stuff with Slayer (when I was a young lad and didn't know any better...).
Old 08-14-2004
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Ah but come on...AC/DC??They lost whatever grip they had on the plot when Bon Scott died.They lucked out with Back In Black,mostly cos most of the songs were already done.After that they just became a repetitive joke.

And that Johnson guy is just terrible.No way a replacement for Bon.

Scrobbler
Old 08-14-2004
Haggischomper

Quote:
Originally posted by Calexico
Ah but come on...AC/DC??They lost whatever grip they had on the plot when Bon Scott died.They lucked out with Back In Black,mostly cos most of the songs were already done.After that they just became a repetitive joke.

And that Johnson guy is just terrible.No way a replacement for Bon.
I wouldn't go out of my way to buy any new AC/DC material but I always enjoy seeing them live. Last time I saw them in Glasgow Johnson actually stole the show with a terrific performance - saw him in a whole new light as I always thought Bon was The Man previous to that.
Old 08-14-2004
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Live they are a diferent proposition I suppose.My mate dragged me kicking and screaming(he bought the tickets too!) to see them in Dublin and I did have a great time but still think they are has beens now.

Scrobbler
Old 08-14-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by Haggischomper

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy any new AC/DC material but I always enjoy seeing them live. Last time I saw them in Glasgow Johnson actually stole the show with a terrific performance - saw him in a whole new light as I always thought Bon was The Man previous to that.
While I never doubted his position as a frontman for the band, when I saw them last time around he kicked some serious ass and showed that it is not all about that guy in school uniform.

Bon was and will always be the man of course. Great singer and great lyricist. There is not one singer I know who could front the band and do a better job than Brian has done though. And after all, he did write the lyrics for the Back In Black album and should get proper credit for that. After that they made some albums that were not so good though but name one band from the 70s that went through the 80s sounding great. The last two have been pretty good in my opinion and the song Stiff Upper Lip is really great. I don't consider them to be has beens (I'm a really huge fan though. They're the reason I'm a fan of music), as you both say, they still provide the good stuff live. Plus they've got a great attitude as well, they've never released a Greatest Hits album and they've existed for 29 years!

Now, back to the topic. Their complaint about Rubin was that he was never around really and that he spent ages trying to get a drum sound. The resulting album sounds pretty good but maybe that wasn't all up to Rubin.
Old 08-15-2004
Grass Roots

Quote:
Originally posted by Haggischomper
I I also enjoyed his stuff with Slayer (when I was a young lad and didn't know any better...).
I guess I still don't know any better... the Rubin-produced Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven and Seasons In the Abyss are fantastic albums. I was blasting SoH only last week.

Slayer with Rubin have always delivered the goods. 'God Hates Us All' from a couple of years back is great too... it's another 'exectuive production' from Rubin!

She started shaking to that fine fine music
You know her life was saved by rock'n'roll

Last edited by Chaosdan : 08-15-2004 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-15-2004
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Reign In Blood rocks the house!!

Scrobbler

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: