The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010
Queen of the Suburbs

They're doing a different set each night, right?
Old 06-20-2010
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelyne View Post
They're doing a different set each night, right?
I sure hope so.

Last year I wasn't on Icehaid's bandwagon because I believed the show was a special one-off and I was happy to take anything with the entire reunited lineup. But now they've had time. I expect to hear some post-Olson material in the next two days, or I'm going to be disappointed. It isn't a good measure of the band if the setlist entirely avoids 1997-2004.

The show was excellent, but as Fisheye and I were saying this morning, absent anything at all from Sound Of Lies, a Jayhawks show is certainly missing something.

Oh, and yes...the dude screaming incessantly for "Ten Little Kids" needed to have a cork stuffed in his face.
Old 06-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeeugene View Post
I sure hope so.

I expect to hear some post-Olson material in the next two days, or I'm going to be disappointed. It isn't a good measure of the band if the setlist entirely avoids 1997-2004.
Most people know and recognize the Jayhawks from their peak years which was pre 1997. This is the "alternative" era of the band which is held in high regard(not that post Olson Jayhawks didn't write some fine tunes. Of course they did. But in terms of consistent albums they don't have the power of HTH or TTGG.)

Quote:
The show was excellent, but as Fisheye and I were saying this morning, absent anything at all from Sound Of Lies, a Jayhawks show is certainly missing something.
I don't think so.

Last edited by Pillow Pants : 06-20-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2010

Location: The Magic Fingers Massage Parlor at Manchester & Main
Quote:
I sure hope so.

Last year I wasn't on Icehaid's bandwagon because I believed the show was a special one-off and I was happy to take anything with the entire reunited lineup. But now they've had time. I expect to hear some post-Olson material in the next two days, or I'm going to be disappointed. It isn't a good measure of the band if the setlist entirely avoids 1997-2004.

Oh, and yes...the dude screaming incessantly for "Ten Little Kids" needed to have a cork stuffed in his face.
You should have done the stuffing, Prof. Amazing how it only takes one twit to mess things up, even if only a little bit.

I think the sets tonight and tomorrow will likely have the same 70% or so of core tunes, but the variance will be in the BE and Bunkhouse material. And I wouldn't be surprised if they do one of Tim's (that he wrote for the Jayhawks, not solo) songs.
Old 06-20-2010
Queen of the Suburbs

Quote:
I sure hope so.

Thanks axe. I too, would have missed Sound of Lies and Rainy Day Music era stuff as that is as great as anything else in their catalog.

Hope you have a BLAST!
Old 06-20-2010
Oldest Jayhawks Fan

Quote:
I sure hope so.

I can't complain since I wasn't there and I would have gladly accepted anything they wanted to play, but I would have expected and hoped for some post-Olson songs. Maybe they'll play some tonight or tomorrow, but since they are doing these shows mainly because of the re-release of their older albums, I guess it was to be expected.

Was good to hear all the older songs at the BBP last year, but now I would like to hear some newer ones added...well, that is if I was actually there to hear them..

Would be great to hear "If You Really Want Me To, I'll Go". See they played it at the in-store..

Last edited by jcarlile : 06-20-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_skoglund View Post

Here's "Last Cigarette" from last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSbyVsY9QTQ
I love this....sounds great, and the smiles are wonderful! Looks like everyone was having fun, and that can only be good for more music/shows/etc from them!

Wish I could be there! Have fun everyone for round two and three!
Old 06-20-2010

More videos please!
Old 06-20-2010
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlile View Post
I can't complain
Oh Joyce, you know me! As I have taken to saying, "I can always find the grey lining in a silver cloud." Seems I've done it again here!
Old 06-20-2010

Very, very nice! Now, book that NYC show!
Old 06-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutshell View Post
I love this....sounds great, and the smiles are wonderful! Looks like everyone was having fun, and that can only be good for more music/shows/etc from them!

Wish I could be there! Have fun everyone for round two and three!

Wow...with engaging, fun tunes like this and all the other great material it's easy to see why the post-Olson stuff gets bumped.

The Jayhawks peak years had this vibrant, bouncing rock n' roll sound and I think it just translates better live.
Old 06-20-2010
Oldest Jayhawks Fan

Quote:
Oh Joyce, you know me! As I have taken to saying, "I can always find the grey lining in a silver cloud." Seems I've done it again here!
Oh Andrew, I wasn't criticizing you....I feel the same as you, some newer songs added to the mix would be appreciated.. See I said I can't complain, but then I did anyway.
Old 06-20-2010

Location: The Magic Fingers Massage Parlor at Manchester & Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlile View Post
I can't complain since I wasn't there and I would have gladly accepted anything they wanted to play, but I would have expected and hoped for some post-Olson songs. Maybe they'll play some tonight or tomorrow, but since they are doing these shows mainly because of the re-release of their older albums, I guess it was to be expected.
I think that pretty much nails it, Joyce. If Olson's up there, the shows are going be overwhelmingly Olson-era stuff. The Bunkhouse re-release is the big news in Jayhawks-ville right now and they're going to promote it, especially given the amount of time and consternation it took to finally get it out.

And although I agree with Prof's statement that they've had time (to prepare some post-Olson material for live performance), I don't think that's the intent of these shows. These, IMO, are meant to be Jayhawks era "from the beginning through 1995" shows, which is fine. Obviously not *my* preference, but certainly fine.
Old 06-20-2010

Send a message via AIM to philipgar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelyne View Post
WoW, what a great set!! Seems like it must have been a long show.

So happy for those that could make it. What a treat to see them at all let alone at First Ave.

I got half a mind to drive up right now and see if I could get a ticket.
Tickets are still for sale!!! I'll be heading out to Minneapolis shortly myself, I can't wait.

Phil
Old 06-20-2010
Vibey-ness

Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_skoglund View Post
Here's "Last Cigarette" from last night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSbyVsY9QTQ
Yeah, I love how they do that song live. Best shuffle ever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: