The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2003
Dog Whisperer

OT: Pets??

Just curious. Do you have pets? What are they? I have a Doberman mix who was rescued from doggie death row. I want to rescue a Chihuahua soon and maybe another smallish mix like a Jack Russel or Shiba Inu. Music people tend to be animal people.
Old 10-10-2003

Yes! All the best people are animal people, I find. I have a great dog, from the shelter. She must have ten breeds in her lineage, but she came out like a red and white border collie. I personally prefer mixes, but like almost all breeds too. Just would not ever BUY a dog, glad you got yours from a rescue. Also have two cats, and they had been abandoned. Someone dumped the momma and her kittens, and I could only keep the momma and one baby at the time (living situation). The rest had to go to the shelter. That was awful!. Have had the cats for 12 years now, the dog for two. Love them all like crazy!
Old 10-10-2003
LiladyK

Oh yeah?! Well, I'm #1 critter hugger

Beyond pets, and just for the love of all creatures great and small, I'll fight anyone here for the title of #1 animal lover, and here's why

When I worked as Park Ranger/Naturalist for the Champaign County Forest Preserve District in Illinois, I handled snakes every single day at work, and I HONESTLY LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!

For the record, native wild snakes (nor any other wild animal) do not make for a good pet, besides being mostly illegal to own as a pet.

Petwise, I am in the process right now of trying to obtain a golden retriever puppy and 2 kitties....he he

Had a cat for 12 years that was my "real" best friend, I think he thought he was a dog. He literally ran into my arms each evening when I walked in the door coming home from work/school. Very unusual for a cat. Liked to sit on my lap and stuff.....not one of those overly independent snooty kind of creatures. Took me years to completely accept his death, that's how perfect this damn cat was.
I had friends/family that couldn't stand cats in general, but they all made an exception for this guy, it was unbelievable.

We have a giant 90 gallon freshwater fish tank w/some really really cool looking fishies.
They're all spoiled rotten you might say....not a "poorlittlefish" in that big ol tank!
Old 10-10-2003
Dog Whisperer

Re: Oh yeah?! Well, I'm #1 critter hugger

Quote:
Originally posted by LiladyK
I handled snakes every single day at work, and I HONESTLY LOVED EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!
That's cool. It's funny, I abhore all bugs and insects. I run screaming, but I like snakes, and I love lizards. My BF thinks it's insane that I'll readilly pick up a snake or a chameleon or other lizard, but I totally freak if I see one of those huge water bugs in the house. Can't handle bugs of any kind!!
Old 10-10-2003

My dog has developed a nasty habit (but of course she's the best dog in the entire universe). She likes to eat cigarette butts off the sidewalk, street, park anywhere she can cop a dose of nicotine. She particularly likes the mentholated ones. Then she comes inside and after a few hours pukes the filter out on the carpet. Just cleaned up two messes this morning. Perhaps I should contact a doggie Dear Abby. What's next I wonder? Heroine? It must be that crowd she hangs out with.
Old 10-10-2003

You know, I had a tiger, but this week my neighbors found out, and then the cops came and tranquilized it, and then they found my alligator...

Oh wait, that wasn't me. I just read about it in the Post...

-- GM
Old 10-11-2003
swimming in the water

Send a message via AIM to poorlittlefish Send a message via MSN to poorlittlefish
I don't have any pets. I really would love to have another dog, but my mom doesn't really like animals. (If she found out that I have been feeding canned tuna to the stray kitten that sleeps on our porch, she'd probably kill me.) I had a dog growing up and she was my best friend, but she got really sick when I was 11 years old, and my dad had to put her down. I sat with her all night long, the night before he took her. I begged my dad to let me go with him, but when I woke up the next morning they were both gone. Then I took in a baby bird that couldn't fly and nursed him back to health. He flew away. I had a beta fish named Greta, but she died about a year ago. Then there was this cute little puppy that someone abandoned downtown. I went outside for a smoke break at work, and he was just sitting out there. Cold and wet and lonely. My friend was gonna pick him up for me, but the security guards found him first and called animal control. I had a name picked out for him and everything. I was gonna go and get him, but my mom picked a huge fight with me over it. I really hope somebody claimed him, cause I didn't want those evil people at animal control to kill him. They should've called animal rescue.
Old 10-11-2003

Send a message via AIM to cindy30640
ONLY RESCUE ANIMALS FROM YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER OR ANIMAL RESCUE GROUP.

I have been doing animal rescue for 10 years now. All my animals have come from the pounds or groups. The best is to go to your local rescue group. They know the disposition of all the animals and the right mix for both you and the animal. My first dog was chosen for me. I went looking for a shepard but they made me take this border collie home with my kid. The best dog I ever had.

I have a dachsund (from Dachsund Rescue) and a Chihuahua that was dumped with big tumors (which have been removed), 3 cats (all with FIV, no one wants them). I did buy my bird from a breeder (oh, well, I was stupid then 12 years ago).

Look under www.petfinder.org for your local rescue group or by breed name.

Help us out so I don't have to walk so many dogs on my night and clean up the cages. Only kidding... so that they get a happy and loving home.
Old 10-11-2003
done mama proud

Send a message via AIM to ericcd
I rescued my cat. He's a black & white, and I named him MATO (after Mato Nanji of Indigenous). I found out later that MATO means "Standing Bear", which is exactly what the cat does. He stares at me from the dresser every night.

He's a good boy...
Old 10-11-2003

I have a chinese crested powderpuff that I guess you could say I rescued. The people who bought him brought him back after 118 months for whatever reason. He looks just like Emmylou Harris. Same grey/white hair, same haircut and fine features, same almond shaped brown eyes. Thus, his name is Emmylouis. He's irresistable.

On a sadder note, my friend has this teeny tiny terrier mix named Murphy who is all of 4 pounds. A couple weekends ago she got attacked by a black lab of all things and is now paralyzed in all four legs. There's a 50/50 chance she'll walk again but she's having a hard time of it. She can't get off her side and freaks out when she's left alone. So, any good thoughts you could send her way would be greatly appreciated.

I also foster dogs occasionally and recently had this poor beaten down yorkshire terrier that looked like Brillo pad. She had a great attitude though and now she's got a home in Knoxville.
Old 10-11-2003

Ok - pets it is

This is my boy Scrumpy

http://www.groundhogdave.pwp.blueyon...rumpy1_jpg.jpg

He was a rescue dog and was riddled in mange when we got him but a lot of tlc and excercise and here he is.

He got his name because he likes some of our favourite lethal west country Scrumpy to warm him up in winter!

He's a welsh / english border collie cross and we wouldn't change him for the world. He also sings along to the jayhawks pretty well.

His pet name is little shit when he's emptied the bin yet again!
Old 10-12-2003
Drive By Tukker

Crimson the cat,
and my favourite pet Mr. zernie.
Old 10-12-2003

Thought it was hilarious-yet heart warming when a guy/gal on this board once said they named their cat Louris. It just made me smile. Are you/Louris still with us?

The first CD I played for a baby parakeet when I brought it home was TTGG. I think it was the first time it heard music. We had fun singing together for three weeks (he was a good dancer too) but it just didn't work out between us *sniff sniff* and the dog.
Old 10-12-2003
LiladyK

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondancer
Thought it was hilarious-yet heart warming when a guy/gal on this board once said they named their cat Louris. It just made me smile. Are you/Louris still with us?

The first CD I played for a baby parakeet when I brought it home was TTGG. I think it was the first time it heard music. We had fun singing together for three weeks (he was a good dancer too) but it just didn't work out between us *sniff sniff* and the dog.
Oh no! Your dog killed the baby parakeet? So sorry to hear that, I'd be sick if that happened to me.

Ok, I have one of those door hanging ringtailed lemurs from the Wild Republic. He hangs from my rearview mirror in my car to help me spot it in a crowded parking lot. His name is Louris the Lemur, and he reminds me each time that I get into my car, not to take life so seriously as he hangs there w/his long monkey like arms. Does that count as a pet

But, honestly, we are looking at getting two sibling kitties and we want them both to be male (neutered male cats-best chance of best behavior as adults). I haven't run this idea by my family yet, but I'd love naming one of the lil guys Louris and the other lil guy Olson. That would be
Old 10-12-2003

Send a message via AIM to Flowerchild024
Here's my Baby!!!

Her name is Nebakanezer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nebakanezer40001.jpg (15.3 KB, 231 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: