The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2003
Haggischomper

Opinions?

So what's the fave's from RDM so far?
Old 04-08-2003

I'm having problems abiding all the CSN harmonies - too clean-cut.

But this is the first listen.

Eyes of Sarahjane (a back-in-the-day Louris guitar solo!)
Angelyne
You Look so Young

I'm sure I'll get into the first 4 tracks with time. . .

on to disc 2.
Old 04-08-2003
Haggischomper

I think I am digging Don't Let The World Get In The Way most after two listens.
Old 04-08-2003
LiladyK

I only have the advance still, and I'm still waiting for my official one from Amazon to arrive, so I haven't been able to listen to the bonus disc yet.

But from the advance copy, my favorite song definitely by far, is "You Look So Young" and here's why:

1)the perfect HTH sounding guitar sound, especially on the bridge done by Gary....it's sooo sweet. also, it goes from acoustic, to rocking it out on electric, then back to acoustic, brilliant......those changes and that mix make for a really great song.

2) I like the song's unique beginning w/just Gary's voice and no intro

3) I like the fact that I haven't figured out what this line means yet "toss your head against the window....beads form like crooked trains" (huh?! What does that mean?! I think that'll be kind of fun to find out, like solving a mystery or something...someone else here can ask Gary first tho if they want to, cuz the sooner I find out the better!)

4) kind of has a unique 'guilty' 'secretive' and 'haunting' sound to it....think it's about an extramarital affair, or an affair that is about to happen that he's really fighting the urge of. It reminds me A LOT of, is comparable to 'Dying On The Vine' off of SOL, as it has that same attitude and similiar sound behind it (song about the affair he had while married to his first wife)

5) The lil quivering quality in Gary's voice, especially in the line where he sings, "why fight what's carved in stone".....when he sings the word 'carved'. It's just SO very cool
Laugh at me for that, I don't care!

Never heard this one live, so we can't wait to hear and see this song played out! Scott is working on tabs and chords for it at this writing.

Last edited by LiladyK : 04-08-2003 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-08-2003

Oops, got the songs mixed up - - I meant the 'You look so Young' guitar solo/fills.
Old 04-08-2003
Mental Midget

Didn't they play a version of "You look so Young" at First Avenue within the last year or so? Somehow I know the melody in my head, but I haven't heard the new disc yet (Amazon). I am going to check the setlists now!
Old 04-08-2003
Mental Midget

Greekguy answers his own question. First Avenue, 12/27/02, that song was played. God, it doesn't seem like almost a year and a half ago that I heard that!

Greekguy is getting old!
Old 04-08-2003
LiladyK

Yes, you are correct about the song being played, but you are wrong about it being played a year and a half ago, silly, that was like only 3 months ago!

A big "spank" opita for Greek guy

We were at the Sat. 12/28 First Ave. show, and it wasn't played, but the Friday 27th show it was. Also, it wasn't played at the acoustic show I attended.

I have it on a bootleg or two, but not many....tho, still feels different from actually seeing it & experiencing it

Last edited by LiladyK : 04-08-2003 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-08-2003

tampa to tulsa

I actually like almost everysong, too soon for me to pick faves. but there is one I like that some reviews have dissed. I really like TAMAP TO TULSA. And I like the "Madman" one. ACK!!! I NEED MY OFFICAL! 3 MORE HOURS TILL I GET OFF WORK AND SPEED TO THE RECORD STORE!!!!!
Old 04-08-2003

You Look So Young was also played at First Ave on 7/28/01, I think. .I remember diggin' it back then, and it's even better on the studio version. My favorite so far though is Madman, which would've fit right in on CSNY's Deja Vu. I love all of the percussion that's going on in that song, and Gary's acoustic playing on that is awesome...And One's Man Problem is great too.
Old 04-08-2003
Mental Midget

Um, yeah...I guess it was just a few months ago. I was reviewing the setlists thinking that they went in reverse chronological order. (that is how they list the setlists in Greece)

No wonder the song seemed so recent in my head. Greekguy may not be getting old afterall, but perhaps senility is setting in a little early.
Old 04-08-2003

My Vote

I listened mesmerized by the first 4 or 5 songs the first time I listened to the CD, but by far Tailspin really blew me away. I love the solo guitar that goes to pedal steel and then to a fuzzed out guitar and then I love the understated banjo on it........thanks Bernie. This is a song that you can get in your car and get a ticket listening to!
Old 04-08-2003
LiladyK

Quote:
Originally posted by BluesisBlood
You Look So Young was also played at First Ave on 7/28/01, I think
Nah, blues dude!! Check out the setlist on the tour link of this site....
'twas played Fri. but not Sat...

Ditto on the Tailspin comment...again, and you said it exactly Jserfy dude....it's the change from rock to country, back to rock, the bridge, and the layering of the different instruments, especially the steel pedal and the banjo addition that gives the song depth and makes it good. I like this better on the commercial plugged in release than the acoustic version of it w/out the extra layers.....but I'm not saying that the acoustic version is bad, I just appreciate the added layering
Old 04-08-2003
mellow

The disk is AWESOME!!!

I think "Save It For A Rainy Day" is an instant classic. But the ones that have grown into my favourites are "Tampa To Tulsa" and "Will I See YOu In Heaven?" Absolutely stunning songs.

I just hope the CD gets some much deserved attention and accolades.

BlueRodeo
Old 04-08-2003

Tailspin

Yep the solo---pedal steel-------solo reminds me of the kind of stuff that Poco used to do in their prime. And yes the commercial version is better then the Woman's Club cd although I must say when I saw them do an acoustic version of it here during South X Southwest it had a real nice bridge because they had four players on it. Gary really played a mean lead......but I missed the pedal steel. I'm just sorry I didn't have a tape going at home on the recorder......

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: