The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2011

Minneapolis Show?

I realize they played St. Cloud and the festival this summer, but there have been no dates in Minneapolis since last January. Any word on whether they will hit the home town during the winter months? Is there a better way to spend an evening than watching The Jayhawks during a cold Minnesota night?? I would hope the band would want to hit their "home town" now that the album is picking up steam and they are playing tight, amazing shows.

MT is amazing..
Old 10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetiver View Post
I realize they played St. Cloud and the festival this summer, but there have been no dates in Minneapolis since last January. Any word on whether they will hit the home town during the winter months? Is there a better way to spend an evening than watching The Jayhawks during a cold Minnesota night?? I would hope the band would want to hit their "home town" now that the album is picking up steam and they are playing tight, amazing shows.

MT is amazing..
You prefaced this one correctly, and I think you know it. Playing St. Cloud is basically playing a Minneapolis suburb. And two nights. I don't believe either night was sold out. Yes, I'd love to see them in Minneapolis because I always want more Jayhawks. But 2 shows in St. Cloud realistically covers the Minneapolis area just fine for this tour.

You sometimes hear that Twin Cities residents don't think anything north of St. Cloud exists. Now I'm finding out that's being generous.

Last edited by theweekend : 10-24-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-24-2011
Oldest Jayhawks Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekend View Post
You sometimes hear that Twin Cities residents don't think anything north of St. Cloud exists. Now I'm finding out that's being generous.
Yeah, I always find that strange. St. Cloud is only about 1-1/2 hrs from Minneapolis/St. Paul. We drove from IL for that show so I know. Driving long distances is nothing new for us since we live in the sticks and we have to drive to Chicago (1-1/2 to 2 hrs) one way for ANY show we want to go to. Oh well, I know people have jobs, other things in their life going on....and one of those shows was on a week night so that's understandable....

Also, hint, hint, band: A Chicago show would be so great!
Old 10-24-2011

I still don't get the two shows in St. Cloud. Also SE MN (Rochester) was left completely out of the loop, Mankato is nearly 2 hours away. Similar strategy was employed in other states, a friend of mine lives in Columbus, OH and instead of playing in Columbus, they played in a little burg there that was a long drive away. He couldn't figure it out.

Hopefully those stops were the 'warm-ups' for when they come back through again. I'd really like to see them.
Old 10-24-2011
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlile View Post
Driving long distances is nothing new for us
Well, *I* live a mere 35 minutes from downtown Minneapolis in the opposite direction from Saint Cloud, and when I have parties here the people in the Twin Cities area treat me like I live on the damned moon. I swear, it's like I have to offer them money to show. So there must be something in the hipster water or something that keeps them inside the 494-694 loop.

I went to the Saint Cloud "Gary and Friends" show this past summer and got all the Jayhawks I needed for the near future, so I didn't attend the more recent Saint Cloud shows. But I would have otherwise, even though my drive would have been basically twice as long as the one a NE Minneapolis attendee would have made.

All this being said, it doesn't make much sense to me that the Jayhawks are playing relative hamlets at all. Like it or not, Saint Cloud is *not* the Twin Cities, any more than Sheboygan is Milwaukee or Waukeegan is Chicago (not that they're playing any of those other places - it's the spirit of the point, not the letter).
Old 10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by axeeugene View Post
Well, *I* live a mere 35 minutes from downtown Minneapolis in the opposite direction from Saint Cloud, and when I have parties here the people in the Twin Cities area treat me like I live on the damned moon. I swear, it's like I have to offer them money to show. So there must be something in the hipster water or something that keeps them inside the 494-694 loop.
Yes, it's called "traffic".
Old 10-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlile View Post
Yeah, I always find that strange. St. Cloud is only about 1-1/2 hrs from Minneapolis/St. Paul. We drove from IL for that show so I know. Driving long distances is nothing new for us since we live in the sticks and we have to drive to Chicago (1-1/2 to 2 hrs) one way for ANY show we want to go to. Oh well, I know people have jobs, other things in their life going on....and one of those shows was on a week night so that's understandable....

Also, hint, hint, band: A Chicago show would be so great!
It's only an hour from downtown Minneapolis to St. Cloud. It's only a half hour from Maple Grove/Rogers/Elk River to St. Cloud.
Old 10-24-2011

They are in Milwaukee on November 9. Not a bad drive for eastern Minnesotans.
Old 10-24-2011
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekend View Post
They are in Milwaukee on November 9. Not a bad drive for eastern Minnesotans.
It's a drive I've made many, many times, and even sometimes to see a show.

Sandy can attest to that one time I made an especially treacherous drive through a stubborn snowstorm all the way to suburban Chicago for a Tweedy show

I think those days are behind me at last.
Old 10-24-2011
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicdoc View Post
I still don't get the two shows in St. Cloud. Also SE MN (Rochester) was left completely out of the loop, Mankato is nearly 2 hours away. Similar strategy was employed in other states, a friend of mine lives in Columbus, OH and instead of playing in Columbus, they played in a little burg there that was a long drive away. He couldn't figure it out.

Hopefully those stops were the 'warm-ups' for when they come back through again. I'd really like to see them.
I'm not so sure there's a lot to figure out. If I was in a band I would get bored playing the same old towns, same old venues, fanbase or not. It is an added kick to play somewhere you've never played. Even if some diehard fanpagers make a trek, you're still basically playing to a new set of folks who may have some of your records but are excited to see you play their town.
I think Dylan figured this out years ago when he started hitting the smaller "markets".
People are tickled pink to have a real celebrity in their not-so-big city.
It's fun to be in a band and travel around... That would be a win-win in my book.

Last edited by JoMama : 10-24-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 10-24-2011
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:

MT is amazing..
I have absolutely no "inside" info to go on, but I think there's a good chance they'll squeeze in a Mpls show in the coming months, possibly a holiday show. Keep in mind, they have played Mpls/St. Paul 8 times since summer 2009 (9 counting the private Fitzgerald show in September). Add in the 3 more shows within 2 hours of the Twin Cities and you've got 12 MN shows in a tad over 2 years - not bad for a band coming back from oblivion. There are many, many places around the globe that are in much greater need of a fix than the hometown fans. If you want an idea of where there's a demand to see them, just head over to the FB page and look at all the compla...I mean comments being left there.

Oh yeah, there are more announcements coming. Everybody is very serious about moving forward at full speed; they have no intention of "half-assing" anything. By the end of March 2012, The Jayhawks will, God willing, have played 100 shows (plus at least a few dozen radio sessions) in 15 months. Like I said, not bad for a "dead" band.

Hopefully we'll reach a point where there is at least as much positive feedback about this exciting new chapter in the bands career as there are complaints about tour and setlist omissions.
Old 10-25-2011

Okay folks, I get it. Don't treat St. Cloud like its not the Twin Cities. Guess what, its not.

Anyway, I've driven to Mankato for a show, etc. But the point is that Minneapolis has unique venues and is a bit more nostalgic. I would argue the band feels the same. Also, while they have played a lot here over the past few years, not one of those times was post MT. Every night we read the great reviews of how tight the band is and the MT material is stellar. Well, hopefully they can squeeze in a show for the home town. Not too much to ask is it..
Old 10-25-2011
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:
Okay folks, I get it. Don't treat St. Cloud like its not the Twin Cities. Guess what, its not.
Except that, in a certain sense, it is. We in the Twin Cities don't consider ourselves part of St. Cloud or Mankato, but concert promoters do. The contract for the shows in St. Cloud and Mankato had a standard "radius clause" that precluded the band from playing any shows within a 100 mile radius within a certain amount of time from the show date (usually a few weeks). Since most venues in the Twin Cities are affected by this clause, these shows for all intents and purposes were considered Twin Cities shows (the Fitzgerald show was a private event sponsored by The Current so it didn't count). It's also not uncommon in some big metro areas - LA and Chicago come to mind - to drive an hour or more to see a show, so I don't have a problem in stating that us lucky bastards in the Twin Cities have had a dozen chances to see The Jayhawks since the Basilica Block Party in July 2009.

Your point about no TC shows post MT release is well taken though. As I said, I would be very surprised if something didn't pop up here locally around the holidays. The good news is that they should be in tip-top shape by then since they seem to be steadily improving while they're on the road.
Old 10-25-2011
VILE

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
Except that, in a certain sense, it is. We in the Twin Cities don't consider ourselves part of St. Cloud or Mankato, but concert promoters do. The contract for the shows in St. Cloud and Mankato had a standard "radius clause" that precluded the band from playing any shows within a 100 mile radius within a certain amount of time from the show date (usually a few weeks). Since most venues in the Twin Cities are affected by this clause,

Thanks for this tidbit, sacred roots. As someone who's never once been anywhere near a performance contract, I find it a pleasure to learn information like this. It helps me understand more about the band experience, which I appreciate.

When the band signs the contract, to whom are they making the promise? Is it typically someone associated with the venue itself, or are there regional promoters who are protecting a series of venues as "their turf"?

Is it possible for you to give us any insight (generally, I mean) into who gets paid and how? For example, does the band contract for a specific payout plus a percentage of the box office? Does the promoter get a standard percentage of the receipts? How does band merch figure in? Do promoters/venues get any cuts of that? How much "turf" does a typical promoter hold sway over? Do bands typically establish relationships with specific promoters in particular areas, or do they just go with "whoever"?

I know that's a long series of questions. Answer any or none, as you see fit, and thanks again for your continued dispersal of information. It's definitely helpful.
Old 10-25-2011
Secretary to the spirits

It's a freaking syndicate, Axe. Not to jump someone else's train, but there's folks out there who control venues and promotion agencies not only locally, but regionally and nationally. Kind of sucks to learn just how many middle-men are in the biz and hear the tales of how slow the money is trickling back to the performers themselves.

As for market saturation in the Twin Cities region, it's all that and more, but Rochester would be nice, and that old fantasy of playing the Surf Ballroom would be a nice dream come true, perhaps on a double bill with BoDeans...
An MT show at the end of the long tour would be a nice homecoming for the band, and I for one am anxious to see how this tour seasons their sound.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: