Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2003
Senor Member

new article- Jam Music, august 25

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMusic/aug25_jayhawks-sun.html
Old 08-25-2003
mellow

Interesting article. Gary Louris sure has a negative outlook, doesn't he? I wonder if he's always such a grumpy pooh, like I've been lately for missing half of their recent concert in Toronto. Although I hear through the grapevine, the band had nothing to do with going on stage so early!

Maybe this negativity is where all the beautiful music comes from.
Old 08-25-2003

Gary, cut back on the booze. Sounds like its getting to you.

Take a tour of the nothern rockies or something, play some small town festivals, get away from the strip malls and sprawl.
Old 08-26-2003
Lenno

like those links to older articles, click away to some interesting interviews.
Old 08-26-2003

good article. As far as the downer feelings Gary talked about, I can so understand. Some days, I get real down, and just wonder what will become of me, and how I will overcome some problems,etc. Then other days I feel like "snap out of it! You have it better than 99% of the people in this world who don't have a place to live, food, family,etc" Then I'll have a day with perfect weather, or a beautiful night with the sky full of stars, and I think "wow". It all depends on the day, just like for everyone I suppose. Maybe Gary was having one of those downer days....
Old 08-26-2003
Lurker

Yes, I also know what Gary is talking about. Sometimes, while sitting in my artificially illuminated office, pushing papers across my desk as an anonymous worker ant for a corporate behemoth, I think to myself:

The only thing worse than this would be if I was a musician, travelling around the country and world playing music that I was incredibly talented enough to create, to adoring crowds of people whose lives are made better by my music on a daily basis.

Ah yes, terrible indeed.

Old 08-26-2003
Squatter's Rights

I've been down since I began to crawl

The line I found most interesting was how Mark left to go find GOD with his wife...
I never heard that spin on it before
It was always like he's following the path of Gram living out in the desert aka Joshua Tree
Of course the bitter self hating rants are always popular up here in the midwest (Born Under a bad sign...obscure Martin Zellar reference)
On another note: the strip malls and Urban sprawl that Galcier speaks of do exist here in MPLS, but Gary and the boys live in MPLS proper not in the suburbs. A tour of the Rockies should be on everyone's short list, however I believe Gary enjoys fishing and boating to hiking and biking in the foothills.
I really like the comment about the 3 groups of fans and how the HTH people are the best/most likeable but the weirdest to talk too of the group, high praise indeed.
Old 08-26-2003

obscure reference

Hey there Musky!

Isn't 'Born under a bad sign' a song/album by Albert King? "If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all?" I really love that line. How is it a Zellar reference? Just curious. Not familiar with his work.

Creativity often comes from cognative dissonance. I tend to view pessimisim as realism because the more you know the worse it is. Cheery, eh?
Old 08-26-2003
Squatter's Rights

Born Under was Martin's first solo record for Rykodisc...as usual I've taken liberties and distorted the facts and inserted half truth's, just to see who is paying attention.
Moondancer gets the prize this time!
Someone put a lil-star by her name!!!
And you get the bonus prize too for not mentioning Clapton...
Old 08-26-2003
Scooter Pilot

article: comment about the 3 groups of fans

back up the truck there, Musky...

The article says this about SOL fans:
"In a way that's my favourite record. It's the only one where we got drunk and played," Louris laughs. ..... It's usually the people who like this record the best we like the most."

and this about HTH-fans:
"The people who like Hollywood Town Hall the best," Louris admits, "are usually a little unforgiving and can be a little strange to talk to."

Now, these aren't my words, so none of you HTH folks should take offense. Or maybe if you drank as much as us SOL-folk, you'd all be a little more laid back and there'd be no offense taken?
Old 08-26-2003
Squatter's Rights

Drug Store Truck Driving Man

He's only saying that because of the whole re-birth of the band, his nasty divorce and oh yeah the binge drinkers that crawled to the shows and packed the club in the late 90's...(these folks are now the fan base for many local acts)
Remember, I was there when the Bunkhouse album hit record stores in the mid 80's, played tracks from Blue Earth on College radio in the late 80's, saw them many times before HTH even came out in '92.
So I'm the weirdest M.F.'er out there I suppose
Riflesport where you been???
Thor of MPLS remember the 80's???
Anybody remember the label BIG MONEY INC ???
Old 08-26-2003
Dog Whisperer

Actually, I've been thinking Gary sounds like a grumpy gus, too. I'd love to meet him, but I think I'd be scared to talk to him. (and this is coming from someone who met Neil Young who seems like the ultimate grump, but is really nice) I really empathize with Gary, though. He and Marc pretty much launched the whole alt.country scene, but Jeff Tweedy is the one who's treated like a god.

Alot of times depression goes along with creativity, too. I certainly am one to look at the glass half empty. That's just some peoples' natures.

An interesting thing is the idea of three camps of fans. It's funny, when SOL came out, I hated it! I blew through the begining of each song and put it away for about two years. I felt like it was a personal attack that a band I loved "changed" their sound. When I found it again at the bottom of my CD pile, I immediately loved it, and realized that it wasn't really a departure from their sound at all. I also loved most of Smile right off the bat except for some of the drum machine tracks. I've been listeing to SOL at work alot for the past few weeks. I think Save it is my favorite of all so far--just for the exquisite songwriting and vocals. The Jayhawks rule. Gary, cheer up!!!
Old 08-26-2003
Boston's biggest fan

Send a message via AIM to Sue B
I've been to three Jayhawks shows so far (w/ the 4th and 5th ones coming up soon!!!). After the first, an outdoor concert at City Hall in Boston that took place about three years ago (I think), I waited for about a half hour w/ a few other diehard fans to meet Gary and the other band members. He dutifully (if not cheerfully) signed my Smile CD, but looked rather dour when I noted that Hollywood Town Hall had saved me during grad school (through repeated listenings). He didn't seem to understand how I could care that much about a CD. I also said that I had thought they had broken up, and he said yes, he was still surprised they were together. I didn't exactly get a warm, fuzzy feeling from him, but then again, he'd just played a 60 minute set, might have been travelling that day, etc.

Anyway, I was rather disconcerted by the article saying that he thinks little of those who love HTH, b/c I'm one of those LONGTERM fans who does, and I do b/c it's a damn fine album! Doesn't mean that I can't appreciate other CDs the band has put out, b/c I do (obviously), but what's wrong w/ enjoying a well-down record? And I'm not a lesser person b/c SOL doesn't work as well for me.

Mr. Louris really does need to lighten up, and I'd be happy to tell him that when I see him in Northampton in about five weeks.
Old 08-26-2003

I think he probably just needed a nap. We all have our cranky moments. Gary's nice enough to talk to. Perlman's the one who emotionaly bitch-slapped me. Some kind of misunderstanding.
Old 08-26-2003
LiladyK

To me the article sounds "chopped up".....

By that I mean, I think there was a lot more said by Gary surrounding all that he said about the 3 groups of fans.....more elaboration on his thoughts, but the writer just didn't put them in the article.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: