The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2003
Oldest Jayhawks Fan

Favorite Song?

Well, I got the official release last night and although I'e had an advance copy for several months, it was nice to see the artwork and liner notes. Kudos to Sandy for her mention in the liner notes. Way to go there Mrs. Barney and very well deserved I might add!!

For me what I like most about the record is of course Gary's beautiful voice. That always does it for me, pure and simple. It's so up front on all the songs. Oh, and the way "Stumbling thru the Dark" bookends the whole CD is just great! I love all the songs, some I like some more than others, but my favorite, that's like asking me to pick a favorite child. Can't be done. Although I'm partial to "All the Right Reasons" and "One Man's Problem". Why? Don't ask, just a feeling I get when I hear them..... I'm hoping Gary sings All the Right Reasons solo at the Metro show Mon. night.

Well, not much of a review, I'll leave that to people much more eloquent than me. Just my gut feelings.... Take care all, enjoy the record as much as I am. Hope to see all the usual suspects Mon. night. Joyce
Old 04-09-2003

nice gut

i'd say those are good gut feelings!
Old 04-09-2003
Boston's biggest fan

Send a message via AIM to Sue B
My favorite songs so far are Save It For a Rainy Day (which I figured), Stumbling Through the Dark (Matthew Sweet is so amazing, and I can't wait for The Thorns debut release), and One Man's Problem. This CD will grow on me--I like it more everytime I listen to it (and I haven't even gotten to disc two yet, but I've only had the CD for a day )-- but right away it's apparent that the the singing is as sweet as ever, the lyrics are thoughtful, and the harmonies are wonderful.

Thank you, Gary Louris, for being my favorite musician, bar none.

Old 04-09-2003
LiladyK

Quote:
Originally posted by norma023
on the Letterman show.

Maybe someone else here (CZ?) may know for sure. I know I've seen the video clip (poor quality) of what they played.
I know that they've been on Letterman twice already, once for TTGG and once for HTH if I remember, I have a vid of both.....
Old 04-09-2003

sue b

you haven't gotten to disc two yet? on fools parade the guitar is mind blowing, at one pont it's 3 leads all going at the same time and i almost feel like each lead is ignoring the other, just doing whatever it wants. kind of hectic and insane in a good way.

gary rules
Old 04-09-2003
Boston's biggest fan

Alright, you've shamed me into listening *this very minute*. Off I go.
Old 04-10-2003
If they move, kill 'em.

Disk II is very strong. Love the acoustic version of 'Waiting For The Sun' (listening to it now) and as someone else pointed out, 'Tampa To Tulsa' is great.

On to disk I...

gotta get off my ass someday and see these guys...

Last edited by kegs : 04-10-2003 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-10-2003
Boston's biggest fan

Okay, though I *haven't* listened to the 2nd disc yet, I HAVE listened to the 1st one over and over. My other new favorite song is Tailspin. I LOVE IT!!!

You *must* see this band. They are superb in concert, as you would expect. I have seen them twice, and will get tickets the SECOND go on sale in the Boston area.

Old 04-10-2003

Thumbs up All too good to pick just one

How could I pick one or two songs from this album? No way. This CD set is amazing. I love Tim's song. i love Marc's song. I love all the others. Everything from the songwriting to performances to final production is top notch real roots rock. This one is going to go down as one of their best. And I don't even know what the critics have said about it nor do i care!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: