The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2003

Stranger's Almanac

Wow, so there's a lot of people on this board that really loathe this album. I have to say it's one of my favourites. Granted it peters out towards the end but I think it's a really great collection of music. I like all three of the Whiskeytown albums, actually.

As for Ryan's solo stuff....it's kinda hit and miss, isn't it? I've been somewhat disappointed with all of his solo stuff. Heartbreaker wasn't what I expected, Gold didn't really stand up to repeated listenings and Demolition was sort of a mixed bag. I really like Nuclear, Hallelujah, Desire and Chin Up, a few of the others too, but some of the others I just can't stand.

I've given 48 Hours a listen, however, and it's pretty good.

That said, has anyone had the pleasure of listening to either or both of Caitlin Cary's albums? Incredible stuff! I really enjoy her music.

Might be The Jayhawks' influence seeping in through Jenn Gunderman's keyboards, huh?

- Mike
Old 08-22-2003

Strangers Almanac is better than anything else Ryan has done in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2003
mellow

Zoody...I too love Stranger's Almanac. One of the best alt.country (and alt.rock) albums of the late 90's.

Did you get a Whiskeytown vibe from Kathleen Edwards at the BR show???

br
Old 08-23-2003

hmmm...

A "Whiskeytown vibe" from Kathleen, huh? I'm not too sure. I was impressed with her performance, though....I like how they take her real quiet songs on the album and kinda rock em up a bit more in the live setting. I still think seeing her in a smaller venue would help. I've only seen her this past Thursday and at Sarstock last month. I don't feel I've really even gotten the "Kathleen vibe" just yet!

I miss Whiskeytown though. Ryan said a few months ago that he wanted to get back with Caitlin and Skillet and make some more Whiskeytown music, but then apparently that's not going to happen anymore.

I've e-mailed Caitlin a few times and she's e-mailed back. Very sweet woman.

Oh, and I took the plunge and bought myself an "I LOVE BLUE RODEO" t-shirt the other night. I love it!

- Zoody

Last edited by Zoody : 08-23-2003 at 11:05 AM.
Old 08-23-2003
Guru

personally i love this album.. i learned a couple songs on there. i agree that its among his better work.
Old 08-24-2003

It's a true classic.

Speaking of classic, Tommy Stinson is playing with the Figgs all over the midwest this coming weekend, they will surely Rock it to Russia.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: