The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2003

Neil Young Day

just picked up Greendale and On The Beach yesterday. i like some of Greendale but neil jumps around to much with the theme. i saw the Greendale show earlier in the year and it was a good show, but the album really shows off the material best and has good backing vocals.

On The Beach is just a great great album. now it will always be around. lyically is just very strong and the musicans he had on that session brought the best out of neil.

just curious what u guys think of the new releases??

did anyone pick up Star N Bars, Re.ac.tor, or any other albums??
Old 08-20-2003

Im not even going to give Greendale a spin. This is based on Neils last 6 or so awful releases.
Old 08-20-2003

Neil Young Day

I just picked up Greendale,On the Beach,and American Stars and Bars.Greendale might be one of the greatest Neil Young records ever,very much like Zuma meets Tonights the Night.
Old 08-20-2003

I decided to pick up On The Beach, American Stars n' Bars, and Hawks & Doves and to hold off on Greendale. I'm sure I'll eventually get it, but these three will quench you thirst for Neil for quite a while.

Has anyone checked out the bonus DVD that comes with it? if so, what's it like?

Peace-
Jeff
Old 08-20-2003

the dvd isn't particularly great. "On The Beach" is great.

glacier, got to give him credit for trying something new and different....
Old 08-20-2003
Dog Whisperer

Geez, you guys are being too hard on Neil.
I like the new album. I agree with the other poster--it kind of reminds me of Zuma. I saw his concert earlier this year. It was raining and most of the people in the audience were just yelling out old requests over his new stuff, but I really enjoyed the performance and the "play" aspect of it. I think it's strong Neil music and not at all "weird" like some of his earlier more experimental stuff. I live the DVD that comes with it, too.
Old 08-21-2003

Give him credit

Neil -- over twenty years ago in 1981:

"I see a lot of people who are my contemporaries -- who were my contemporaries in the '60s and '70s -- who just haven't tried to continue what they were doing in the first place. They've tried to recreate what they already did, thinking that's what success is... [But] what they really did first was to do something new that people liked -- so they should try and do something new again."

This is a huge point -- and the point of Neil, and why he is an artist and not just a musician. Could say the same for Gary, and Tweedy, and others. They don't see their careers as just recreating On The Beach, or Hollywood Town Hall, or Being There.

They believe (and I do, too) that a big part of the reason fans dug that stuff is that it wasn't available before. And they want to keep giving us stuff that we haven't heard. If you want to hear HTH or Being There rehashed by the Jayhawks or Wilco for twenty years, you're going to be disappointed by these guys.

So -- you get Re*ac*tor. You get Sound of Lies. You get Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. But you also get Harvest Moon, and Rainy Day Music. I'll take it all, thanks! If I don't dig one as much as the next, I can always look forward to another release (hopefully).

-- GM
Old 08-21-2003
LiladyK

Ok, this is my opinion of the Greendale act (when we went to Mpls to see Neil)......

thought it was a pretty cool idea basically, played out nicely live....some really good rocking during the songs...

BUT

it was simply toooooo looooooong.

The act was 2 hours. TWO HOURS!

Crazy Horse then plays 4 old songs for the last 15 minutes, and the audience is on fire and aching for more!! ACHING I tell you. Then Neil just up and walks away.....

I think the Greendale thing was unique, different and creative, and I respect that alot....but it should have been maybe one hour long.

Then one more hour of Crazy Horse tunes...that would have balanced things out better. People in the audience were complaining all around us. But Neil has never been out to please his audience, just himself, and he candidly admits it.

Anyway, if Neil plays Mpls. again w/out the Greendale act, and we read the reviews of what to expect ahead of time from him, we'll most definitely be back up to see him again. He still has this kind of stage presence that just draws us in somehow. We discovered it first when we saw him at the very first Farm-Aid back in '85.
Old 08-21-2003
Scooter Pilot

Greendale

Yeah, the Greendale show was long, and yes I was dying to hear more old stuff at the encore, but during that show there were two or three songs that I enjoyed so much on first hearing that I knew it'd be worth the money to buy Greendale when it came out. I don't have my copy yet, but I'll get around to it this weekend. Innovation is as important to me as old favorites, and Neil will always give us plenty of both. In fact, he is so prolific he probably puts out more "hits" and more "misses" than most.
Old 08-21-2003

Send a message via AIM to Bizz105
I also saw the greendale thing, it was alright for the first hour but after that i couldnt handle it anymore. Being a guitarist i loved his guitar playing, that was great.
Old 08-21-2003

Greendale

i loved the show!
Old 08-21-2003

anyone get Re.ac.tor or Hawks and Doves???

just curious what people think, because i didn't.
Old 08-21-2003

Location: The Magic Fingers Massage Parlor at Manchester & Main
Smile Re: Greendale

Quote:
Originally posted by buttercup
i loved the show!
Whoa - that's *two* arena shows for you in less than a year!!
Unprecedented, eh?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: