The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2003

Back from national parks

Whats the latest Jayhawks news? Any recent tours?

I must say how absolutely amazing the northern rockies are, and what a complete jag-off Bush is for trying to drill , log and basically end the last wild places we have left in this country.
Old 08-12-2003
The Morning Rambler

Send a message via AIM to GuitarMatt
I second that! I've never been to the Rockies but they look amazing. And maybe if Bush took the money he would use to drill and damage up there and put it towards research to eliminate or lessen our dependence on fossil fuels we would not ever need to worry about this kind of crap happening ....
Old 08-12-2003
done mama proud

Send a message via AIM to ericcd
I'm off from Connecticut to Colorado on Friday. I have a week of river rafting and mountain biking planned, not to mention a tour of the area breweries. It's my last ditch effort to do something before my entire summer vacation is over. I can't wait to see the Rockies...
Old 08-12-2003
LiladyK

Quote:
Originally posted by ericcd
I have a week of river rafting and mountain biking planned, not to mention a tour of the area breweries. I can't wait to see the Rockies...
Alright then, it's all set! I'm packed and ready to go, just waiting here for your phone call........where should we meet exactly?

Really, I'll sneak away from Mr. Lilady somehow

Good Gaaawd, am I ever jealous, EXACTLY my kind of vacation...
Old 08-12-2003
LiladyK

Re: Back from national parks

Quote:
Originally posted by glacier55
I must say how absolutely amazing the northern rockies are, and what a complete jag-off Bush is for trying to drill , log and basically end the last wild places we have left in this country. [/b]
Glacier that IS the nicest thing you've ever said here I think!

...and we've had the means to use alternative fuel methods for years, but we haven't, and we won't, because it's the end of the rich oil tycoon powers that be if we do. Battery powered vehicles are not impossible, and we've even managed to learn how to recycle the energy in them! But no, $$$ talks. Nuff said 'bout that.

.....perhaps he may dream about invading the Nat. Parks for oil, but he ain't touchin' em. Those will remain untouched. He's already fighting tooth and nail to invade the Nat. Mon. areas. The Nat. Forests have already been fair game for him. Let him have those as long as the Nat. Parks stay pristine I say. IMHO, I don't even believe that fishing should be allowed in those Nat. Park places especially where Grizzly habitat is. Let there be a few places on earth where the fish belong to only the animals that need those fish to survive I say.

Hurray for Clinton for designating all those acres of Escalante Canyon and surrounding, in the Utah area for a Nat. Mon., only days before he left office.....gaawwwd, did you read all about how feverishly pissed off the Bush admin. still is about that?!?!? And how they tried so hard to turn it all around??

....and I said I wouldn't talk politics here, but enviro-activism topics set me off on an opinionated whirlwind

Last edited by LiladyK : 08-12-2003 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-13-2003

\\.....perhaps he may dream about invading the Nat. Parks for oil, but he ain't touchin' em. Those will remain untouched. He's already fighting tooth and nail to invade the Nat. Mon. areas. The Nat. Forests have already been fair game for him. Let him have those as long as the Nat. Parks stay pristine I say. IMHO, I don't even believe that fishing should be allowed in those Nat. Park places especially where Grizzly habitat is. Let there be a few places on earth where the fish belong to only the animals that need those fish to survive I say. \\

I agree, and I fish. I went out to northern Yellowstone, Glacier national park, and other wilderness areas in Montana where the grizzly bear lives. I also fly fished the rivers where they filmed "a river runs through it". Fantastic.

Glacier is on fire right now.

Bush is also trying to privatize the Park Service, as well as the USFS. And you are right, he is getting his way with the USFS pretty badly. Heis easily the worst park and conservation president we have ever had. I so wish Mcain was i nthere. Anyone else but Bush. This White House is extreme to say the least, and ignores every simple basic scientific study for their idiotic ideology.

\\
Hurray for Clinton for designating all those acres of Escalante Canyon and surrounding, in the Utah area for a Nat. Mon., only days before he left office.....gaawwwd, did you read all about how feverishly pissed off the Bush admin. still is about that?!?!? And how they tried so hard to turn it all around?? \\

Yep, and they still are. So much so they ignore public comment on it.

\\
....and I said I wouldn't talk politics here, but enviro-activism topics set me off on an opinionated whirlw\\

I hear you. It's very, very bad right now. IF you are a fan of clean air and water, BALNACE in national forests, public lands, and wilderness recreation/habitat, it's a very troubling time.
Old 08-13-2003

Funny...

I thought this was a board about the Jayhawks.
Old 08-13-2003
The Morning Rambler

Send a message via AIM to GuitarMatt
not so funny...

And Jayhawks fans aren't allowed to show their appreciation for nature on this board?
Old 08-13-2003
Count no 'count

While the Bush administration's environmental record is pretty damn scary, what really is appalling is Ashcroft and Rumsfeld's attack on civil liberties through such things as the various Patriot Acts, the new mandatory federal sentencing guidelines, re-newing the "assault weapons" ban, and the National ID card proposal. Drilling for oil and strip mining in the national parks is the least of my worries with these folks.

We will never lessen our dependence on petroleum as long as we have the internal combustion engine. I personally will not give up my trucks for a solar, electric, or tofu powered vehicle. I'm not against the development of said vehicles but I aint holding my breath. The reality is that we are stuck with the internal combustion engine for the forseeable future and we need to develop SENSIBLE and RESPONSIBLE means of getting petroleum.

ps- welcome back Glacier
Old 08-13-2003
Boston's biggest fan

Send a message via AIM to Sue B
Re: not so funny...

Quote:
Originally posted by GuitarMatt
And Jayhawks fans aren't allowed to show their appreciation for nature on this board?
Amen, GuitarMatt (and Glacier55, etc.) If anyone is a fan of The Daily Show, and I sure am, there was a great piece on this last night w/ Ed Helms (and a recent one w/ Rob Corddry).

The Jayhwawks are tremendous, of course, but it's nice that the board members are well-rounded and concerned about current events!!! BTW, are Gary and company environmentally-involved? (I should prob. know but don't.)
Old 08-13-2003

\\
Amen, GuitarMatt (and Glacier55, etc.) If anyone is a fan of The Daily Show, and I sure am, there was a great piece on this last night w/ Ed Helms (and a recent one w/ Rob Corddry).\\

That show is great.

I just want a moderate back in the white house. I dont care what party it is. Just *please* get a moderate, mainsteam prezback inthe white house, not some ideological right winger who wants to take us back to yesteryear.
Old 08-13-2003

I second the opinion about The Daily Show...it's where I get my news. And I wish for an extreme green to be in the white house. I know there is no chance, but I can dream, can't I?

Hey, glacier, ever been to Banff?
Old 08-13-2003
Boston's biggest fan

Send a message via AIM to Sue B
FROM TONIGHT'S DAILY SHOW:

President Bush, when asked what he thought about the gubernatorial race in California: "I'm a follower of American politics."
Jon Stewart: "And here I thought the President of the United States would be a leader of American politics."

Touche, Jon. Touche.
Old 08-13-2003

FYI

There's a new organization forming called the Wellstone Action Network which aims to create a national network to address the issues dear to Senator Wellstone r.ip. The above listed issues and more are being addressed from a grass roots strategy. There are a bunch of really interesting people on the board of directors including Warren Beatty and Robert Redford et al. If interested there's more info at Wellstone.org. He was one of a kind and I had the pleasure of volunteering on his campaign and meeting him. Norm Coleman isn't half the man Wellstone was.
Old 08-14-2003
Lurker

fuel your fire. read atrios all day: http://www.atrios.blogspot.com/

moondancer you were very lucky to meet wellstone....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: