The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > OT:
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008

Eagles

I went to my first Eagles concert and was thoroughly entertained. They played for nearly 3 hours to a packed arena in Worcester Mass. Having grown up with them (I'm 49 tomorrow), there is the obvious nostalgic connection. I bought their new cd last year. Half of it is good, and half not so good. One disc would have been enough. "How Long" is the best. Musically, they were on the money...top form, especially Henley's voice. Joe Walsh's iconic oldies were fun, especially because I hadn't heard them since the 70s, and had forgetten them. I'm split though...on one hand, I really liked a lot of the tunes; I tried to listen with fresh ears asking myself, "if this was the first time you heard this song, what would you think?" I know GS did an Eagles cover show. I'd love to get my hands on that. Long and short of it, my conclusion is that the following tunes (that they played) are terrific, no matter what: Take it Easy, Take it to the Limit, I Can't Tell You Why, Desparado, In the City, Lyin' Eyes, Hotel California, How Long and all the Joe Walsh/James Gang stuff.

I'd like to know people's opinions - especially those out there who are younger and hearing these tunes fresh.
Old 12-01-2008
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Hey, if you enjoyed it you enjoyed it. No harm, no foul. It's not rocket science, if it does it for you then that is great. Who cares what anyone else thinks? I enjoy the hell out of the Eagles when I hear them too. Don't know that I would pay the big bucks to see them but that's another matter. Good for you, glad you had a good time.

Scrobbler
Old 12-01-2008
Unbridled Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to jacieb Send a message via Yahoo to jacieb
Quote:
Originally Posted by facedown View Post
I went to my first Eagles concert and was thoroughly entertained. They played for nearly 3 hours to a packed arena in Worcester Mass. Having grown up with them (I'm 49 tomorrow), there is the obvious nostalgic connection. I bought their new cd last year. Half of it is good, and half not so good. One disc would have been enough. "How Long" is the best. Musically, they were on the money...top form, especially Henley's voice. Joe Walsh's iconic oldies were fun, especially because I hadn't heard them since the 70s, and had forgetten them. I'm split though...on one hand, I really liked a lot of the tunes; I tried to listen with fresh ears asking myself, "if this was the first time you heard this song, what would you think?" I know GS did an Eagles cover show. I'd love to get my hands on that. Long and short of it, my conclusion is that the following tunes (that they played) are terrific, no matter what: Take it Easy, Take it to the Limit, I Can't Tell You Why, Desparado, In the City, Lyin' Eyes, Hotel California, How Long and all the Joe Walsh/James Gang stuff.

I'd like to know people's opinions - especially those out there who are younger and hearing these tunes fresh.
I've seen them twice and they were great. They are my mom's favorite band, and she got me into them. I went through an Eagles period for a while, and I still am amazed that those diverse voices can make such sweet harmonies. I haven't listened to their new stuff so much - it seems a little too "big" for my taste, you know?

Peaceful Easy Feeling
Best of My Love
Wasted Time
Saturday Night
Tequila Sunrise

I could listen to those anytime. Take It Easy was one of the first songs I learned on guitar.

Last edited by jacieb : 12-01-2008 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2008

I was hoping they'd play Best of My Love. A great tune. THE slow dance song my freshman year in HS.
Old 12-01-2008

facedown...did they play "Already Gone"? If so, what'd you think? That's one of my favorites from the Eagles.
Old 12-01-2008
Haggischomper

I saw them 6 or 7 years ago and, while it wasn't bad or sucky, it didn't really inspire and was lacking in soul. Honestly, it kinda sounded a bit robotic and auto-pilotish.. Like I say, though, I didn't hate it at all.
Old 12-01-2008

sean - they did play it; I forgot to include it in my post. They let the crowd sing the OOH OOH HEWE part. I'd add that the guitar solo in Hotel C. was great - iconic.
Old 12-01-2008

Quote:

I saw them last Spring in Charlottesville, VA. They put on a fantastic concert. Yes, their new album should have been a single disc. That's the way Henley wanted it, but he was outvoted. "Gulity of the Crime" (Frankie Miller cover) is top notch just as "How Long" is.

I saw them last Spring in Charlottesville, VA---EXCELLENT concert. Yes, their new release should have been a single disc. Would have been a killer single CD. "Guilty of the Crime" (Frankie Miller cover) is right up there with "How Long".

Last edited by TheBowmanBody : 12-02-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-01-2008

I saw a bald eagle today, does that count?

My Tunes
Old 12-01-2008
Haggischomper

No. Bald eagles don't have fingers so how can they count?
Old 12-01-2008

What was I thinking?

My Tunes
Old 12-01-2008

Quote:
sean - they did play it; I forgot to include it in my post. They let the crowd sing the OOH OOH HEWE part. I'd add that the guitar solo in Hotel C. was great - iconic.
Cool, glad you got to see it live. That's a great rock & roll song.
Old 12-01-2008
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedey View Post
What was I thinking?
you were thinking: "...how long how long how long... rock yourself to sleep"
Old 12-02-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
you were thinking: "...how long how long how long... rock yourself to sleep"
The Eagles' version of J. D. Souther's "How Long" is a great song. So superior to the original.
Old 12-02-2008
The Charlie Browniest

I prefer midget eagles.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: