The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2008

Carnegie Hall

Just bought Louris Olson tix for Feb 7th at Zankel Hall (part of Carnegie Hall).
Anybody know this venue? My seats are in the mezanine. Better seats seem to be already gone!
Old 11-05-2008
norma023

sounds like a sit down/reserved seating I take it (verus general admission)?

Sorry, I don't know this venue very well
Old 11-05-2008

have not been, but is supposedly a sick room. pictures look great and i have to assume the sound will be amazing. very small venue - mezz should be fine
Old 11-05-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwellokay View Post
have not been, but is supposedly a sick room. pictures look great and i have to assume the sound will be amazing. very small venue - mezz should be fine
Thanks for the info. Any other pagers attending?
Old 11-05-2008

hey facedown, my husband and I went to see Nick Lowe there last month. NL was part of the same Zankel series as Gary and Mark. Zankel Hall is a very nice newer space, sort of clean modern lines, and great sound. Not too big, (think someone mentioned 600 seats) and comfortable. I not usually a fan of the seated venues, but this one was really good. It helped that we had third row seats! Nick Lowe was awesome, btw....
Can't believe we will see Gary and Mark in this space. Here is a list from another thread about which fanpagers might attend:
kmweiss
goody59
facedown
Anodyne
JamesT42
UWSfan (remember him?)
mystic spiral??

ok, who else....
NYFan?
ellison?
who am I missing?
Old 11-05-2008

Yep, I will be there! From the website it looks nice, but never been to a show there.

Kenny
Old 11-05-2008
Toothless In OTB

I now have a major conflict that night that I don't see any way out of. As we get closer to show date, if my status is unchanged I'll offer my seats up to our group.
Old 11-05-2008

Send a message via AIM to mystic_spiral_3 Send a message via Yahoo to mystic_spiral_3
I have a ticket, so unless the weather sucks and/or something comes up at work, I should be there.

Does anyone have suggestions for where to stay overnight? I really don't want to travel back home late by myself, but I haven't stayed overnight before in NYC.
Old 11-06-2008

hmmm, not sure mystic spiral, I don't live in the city. Someone else may be better able to answer. where are you coming in from?

and Rob, sorry to hear that you have a conflict!...it must be super important...hope you can change whatever it is...

Last edited by nutshell : 11-06-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-06-2008

Send a message via AIM to mystic_spiral_3 Send a message via Yahoo to mystic_spiral_3
I was planning on driving to Poughkeepsie (I live near Albany) and taking the train from there. I did so with a colleague and his wife this summer, but I'm not keen on making the trip back at night by myself.
Old 11-06-2008

Really all depends on what you want to pay. Lots of hotels all around Carnegie Hall but most are not cheap. My wife and I once stayed at Le Parker Meridian on 57th between 6th and 7th -- very cool hotel (with a great burger joint in it!) but I doubt its less than 300/night. Never know -- dead of winter in NY -- probably could get some deals by calling up.

Kenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic_spiral_3 View Post
I was planning on driving to Poughkeepsie (I live near Albany) and taking the train from there. I did so with a colleague and his wife this summer, but I'm not keen on making the trip back at night by myself.
Old 11-07-2008
Administrator

Quote:
Does anyone have suggestions for where to stay overnight? I really don't want to travel back home late by myself, but I haven't stayed overnight before in NYC.
This is where I stayed with my daughter when we did the NYC art museum/galleries a couple years ago:

www.podhotel.com

It used to be the Pickwick Arms but they've remodeled the rooms into these cool little (and I mean little!) rooms. We took the cheaper route so we shared bathroom/showers with the other guests on our floor. There was a sink in the room though and we never had a problem with fighting for a shower. It's also within walking distance of a lot of stuff and close to the subway. Cool neighborhood. Didn't check the prices lately but when we stayed that summer it was $160-$200 a night depending on day.
Old 11-07-2008
Charming legs

Send a message via MSN to illbecominhome
Holy crap! I must have been extremely lucky but I got this COOL hotel just by the Empire St. for just 150 bucks a night the double room. It's in Little Korea and I think the name it was Red Roof Inn Mahnattan I think... very nice hotel!

"This evening the pigeons turned to bars of gold in the sun’s last light"
Old 11-07-2008

Quote:
I have a ticket, so unless the weather sucks and/or something comes up at work, I should be there.

check out the travel sites like expedia and travelocity. you should book yourself a room and then can cancel it a week before - then in the meantime, really good deals will open up as the date gets closer. i used to work in midtown and it is amazing how on short notice you can get 400 dollar rooms for 150 bucks - just have to shop around. normally you cannot get those deals directly from the hotel - you need priceline or something like that. you can book a few rooms and then keep the best deal the week before. there is a real cheap hotel in times square called hotel carter - 99 bucks - own bathroom. I make no warranties - i just pass it every day on the way to work - reviews are a little bit sketchy, but if you just need a place to put your head down, may be worth looking into
Old 11-07-2008
Mental Midget

Quote:
I have a ticket, so unless the weather sucks...I should be there.
So if mystic_spiral_3 misses the show on this account, can I pass the torch?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: