The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > OT:
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBowmanBody View Post
Henley & Lynne remain two of the greats.
Two greatly-exaggerated talents by, apparently, only you.

I gave "Wildflowers" (produced by Rick Rubin) and Harrison's "Brainwashed" a listen on a real good system and I can't stand Lynne's production input. He's ok when he occasionally leaves a song alone, but sometimes a great song is clipped by his sappy accoustic-guitar-strum rhythm sections and little keyboard blips that remind me that he once melded rock and orchestral values. Just like in ELO, some songs were miraculously left in simple form while others had layers of tweaking added to them.

As for Henley, he's damn lucky he's got Joe Walsh in his corner or the Eagles would've flown into the ground eons ago.

Last edited by JoMama : 06-25-2008 at 04:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMama View Post
Two greatly-exaggerated talents by, apparently, only you.

I gave "Wildflowers" (produced by Rick Rubin) and Harrison's "Brainwashed" a listen on a real good system and I can't stand Lynne's production input. He's ok when he occasionally leaves a song alone, but sometimes a great song is clipped by his sappy accoustic-guitar-strum rhythm sections and little keyboard blips that remind me that he once melded rock and orchestral values. Just like in ELO, some songs were miraculously left in simple form while others had layers of tweaking added to them.

As for Henley, he's damn lucky he's got Joe Walsh in his corner or the Eagles would've flown into the ground eons ago.
I like Lynne's production style & the acoustic rhythm guitars, to each his own I guess. Henley needs Walsh? How so? How many Eagles songs has Walsh written? Answer: not many. Seems at times that Walsh is along for the ride. Steuart Smith does most of the guitar work, not Walsh. Smith took Don Felder's place and is a huge part of the sound now.
Old 06-25-2008
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
I like Lynne's production style & the acoustic rhythm guitars, to each his own I guess. Henley needs Walsh? How so? How many Eagles songs has Walsh written? Answer: not many. Seems at times that Walsh is along for the ride. Steuart Smith does most of the guitar work, not Walsh. Smith took Don Felder's place and is a huge part of the sound now.
Walsh brings something to the Eagles that Henley desperately needs: A sense of humour.
As I recall, the Eagles Tour blog has lots of raves for Joe Walsh... Show after show, they all say the same things "The highlight of the night was Walsh's "In The City"... etc.
Jeff Lynne's production sound sucks, but so do you, so naturally you're fond of it.
Old 06-25-2008

Quote:
Walsh brings something to the Eagles that Henley desperately needs: A sense of humour.
As I recall, the Eagles Tour blog has lots of raves for Joe Walsh... Show after show, they all say the same things "The highlight of the night was Walsh's "In The City"... etc.
Jeff Lynne's production sound sucks, but so do you, so naturally you're fond of it.
You're wrong about Lynne as usual. I'll agree about Walsh & his sense of humor, that he does bring & it's needed. That really only counts in concert though, not on the records. I'm a big fan of Walsh, but his songwritng days appear to be pretty much over. Oh, & I don't suck, brother.
Old 06-25-2008
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
You're wrong about Lynne as usual. I'll agree about Walsh & his sense of humor, that he does bring & it's needed. That really only counts in concert though, not on the records. I'm a big fan of Walsh, but his songwritng days appear to be pretty much over. Oh, & I don't suck, brother.
Joe Walsh's solo albums are pretty consistent affairs, and he would be just fine without having to support The Eagles' effort. But hey, it's a big paycheck, so he's not likely to jump off that gravy train any time soon.
My opinion of Lynne's work is my own, as is yours. Neither are "wrong".
Old 06-26-2008
Grass Roots

I watched Beverly Hills Cop on TV at the weekend. The Heat Is On! Anyone who doesn't think that is the greatest piece of music ever associated with the Eagles is, indeed, WRONG.

She started shaking to that fine fine music
You know her life was saved by rock'n'roll
Old 06-26-2008

Quote:
Joe Walsh's solo albums are pretty consistent affairs, and he would be just fine without having to support The Eagles' effort. But hey, it's a big paycheck, so he's not likely to jump off that gravy train any time soon.
My opinion of Lynne's work is my own, as is yours. Neither are "wrong".
We'll agree to disagree then. When was the last decent Walsh solo outing? The Eagles are a gravy train for him. At the concert, I was surprised at how much of the guitar work was handled by Smith, not Walsh.
Old 06-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosdan View Post
I watched Beverly Hills Cop on TV at the weekend. The Heat Is On! Anyone who doesn't think that is the greatest piece of music ever associated with the Eagles is, indeed, WRONG.
We all know that song blows. Frey was not the brains of the Eagles, Henley was. He's the only one to have a decent solo career since 1982. The efforts of the others amounted to nothing.
Old 06-26-2008
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
We'll agree to disagree then. When was the last decent Walsh solo outing? The Eagles are a gravy train for him. At the concert, I was surprised at how much of the guitar work was handled by Smith, not Walsh.
I know it's been years since he released "Songs For A Dying Planet" but I've always liked his solo stuff. Regardless of the hired gun doing the guitar work you seem to expect from Walsh, I think he adds a lot of personality to an otherwise bland band. He's got a great catalog of his own songs he brings to their shows as well. When I said he could do fine without the Eagles, I sincerely meant it. I wish he would/could find the time.
Old 06-26-2008

Quote:
I know it's been years since he released "Songs For A Dying Planet" but I've always liked his solo stuff. Regardless of the hired gun doing the guitar work you seem to expect from Walsh, I think he adds a lot of personality to an otherwise bland band. He's got a great catalog of his own songs he brings to their shows as well. When I said he could do fine without the Eagles, I sincerely meant it. I wish he would/could find the time.
At this point Walsh needs the Eagles, they're his cash cow. I love the old Walsh solo stuff, but his solo career has come to a screeching halt.
Old 06-26-2008
Secretary to the spirits

Quote:
At this point Walsh needs the Eagles, they're his cash cow. I love the old Walsh solo stuff, but his solo career has come to a screeching halt.
If they all crashed and burned Lynyrd Skynyrd-style, leaving only Walsh, I doubt he'd suffer much. He's got enough material to put together another band and bring his solo career back. At his age, it probably wouldn't happen that way, he's likely got other irons in the fire.
But if he left the Eagles, they would press on, Who-style until forever. Which is alright with me, because I'm a bigger Who fan than you are an Eagle fan.
If Walsh left, or any others, Henley would just keep replacing leaving/dying members and call it The Eagles. Heck, he's already entertained a notion of building marionette lookalikes a taking them on tour with their movements synched to tapes of the songs. That way no one would argue with him anymore, and he'd be very happy. A happy Don Henley, now that's a win-win.
Old 06-26-2008

Quote:
If they all crashed and burned Lynyrd Skynyrd-style, leaving only Walsh, I doubt he'd suffer much. He's got enough material to put together another band and bring his solo career back. At his age, it probably wouldn't happen that way, he's likely got other irons in the fire.
But if he left the Eagles, they would press on, Who-style until forever. Which is alright with me, because I'm a bigger Who fan than you are an Eagle fan.
If Walsh left, or any others, Henley would just keep replacing leaving/dying members and call it The Eagles. Heck, he's already entertained a notion of building marionette lookalikes a taking them on tour with their movements synched to tapes of the songs. That way no one would argue with him anymore, and he'd be very happy. A happy Don Henley, now that's a win-win.
Don's not the happiest of people, true. Great singing voice, though. I say the Who is the Who as long as Townsend & Daltrey say it is.
Old 06-26-2008

I listened to This Magnificent Distance last night and I still think Palace is better.

I do think amg.com is usually pretty good at rating albums, but it's not perfect IMO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: