Tailspin (with Wesley Stace)
I'd Run Away (with Wesley Stace)

---

Settled Down Like Rain (Gary solo)
Queen of the World (Gary solo)
Angelyne (Gary with John Jackson)
All the Right Reasons
Sister Cry
Until You Came Along (with Wesley Stace)

---

* John Jackson (mandolin, acoustic guitar, Telecaster) played the entire set with the band.
Old 04-30-2017
Sal Paradise

I was there last night. I've seen the jayhawks at least 20 times in just about every line up. Sadly, last night was maybe the worst show I've seen from them. Maybe it's fatigue being the last night of the tour, but very little energy and they didn't look like they were having much fun.
Old 05-01-2017
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS43 View Post
I was there last night. I've seen the jayhawks at least 20 times in just about every line up. Sadly, last night was maybe the worst show I've seen from them. Maybe it's fatigue being the last night of the tour, but very little energy and they didn't look like they were having much fun.
Really? They were having a blast from what I saw. I just watched a little bit of the video and even Perlman was smiling at one point. I thought they sounded fantastic and the sound mix was superb. They were in extremely good spirits after the show; hanging out at the merch table for almost an hour after the show, laughing and having a good time, accommodating every fan until there wasn't anyone left. They were indeed tired after 3.5 weeks on a bus - and Karen was so sick the day before she almost didn't make the Madison show - but my observation is exactly the opposite of yours.
Old 05-04-2017
Blondie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
They were in extremely good spirits after the show; hanging out at the merch table for almost an hour after the show, laughing and having a good time, accommodating every fan until there wasn't anyone left.
I love it when they hang out... a couple of us spend quite a bit of time chatting with Gary and Mark after their Glasgow duo show. That was cool.

And back in 1995 (I think... it was the Tomorrow The Green Grass tour) they played my little town in the Netherlands... a friend of my friend (who I was at the gig with) played in the support act... the Jayhawks were meant to play and run to get to Germany for the next night's gig, so they'd told the support act they could invite peeps backstage as they would be gone anyway... so my friend and I were invited backstage to drink the beer the Jayhawks were given by the organisers... the Jayhawks ended up hanging with us for like 2 hours as we all drank our way through their rider... chatting about all sorts from music to life to living on the road... that was a cool experience.
If your rhythm ever falls out of time,
You can bring it to me and I will make it alright.

My Flickr Account
Old 05-04-2017
Guru

That's awesome! did they have any good stories they told you?
I've never really got to hang with the full band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayB View Post
I love it when they hang out... a couple of us spend quite a bit of time chatting with Gary and Mark after their Glasgow duo show. That was cool.

And back in 1995 (I think... it was the Tomorrow The Green Grass tour) they played my little town in the Netherlands... a friend of my friend (who I was at the gig with) played in the support act... the Jayhawks were meant to play and run to get to Germany for the next night's gig, so they'd told the support act they could invite peeps backstage as they would be gone anyway... so my friend and I were invited backstage to drink the beer the Jayhawks were given by the organisers... the Jayhawks ended up hanging with us for like 2 hours as we all drank our way through their rider... chatting about all sorts from music to life to living on the road... that was a cool experience.
Old 05-01-2017

Live stream from last night, about 30 minutes in the middle of the set and the last 2 minutes.

part 1
https://www.facebook.com/jayhawksoff...8661952491134/

part 2
https://www.facebook.com/jayhawksoff...8738779150118/
Old 05-01-2017
Sal Paradise

To each their own SR. My intent is not to troll the Jayhawks. Been a satisfied customer for a number of years. Saturday night's show just didn't have the same energy as the 20 or so previous shows I've seen. With that said...the next time they're in Chicago, I'll be there like always.
Old 05-01-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS43 View Post
To each their own SR. My intent is not to troll the Jayhawks. Been a satisfied customer for a number of years. Saturday night's show just didn't have the same energy as the 20 or so previous shows I've seen. With that said...the next time they're in Chicago, I'll be there like always.
Certainly not accusing you of "trolling." Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion. But I was just surprised since all of the reactions I heard from the many people I talked with at the venue after the show were overwhelmingly positive, as were the opinions I saw on social media.
Old 05-01-2017

Send a message via AIM to mystic_spiral_3 Send a message via Yahoo to mystic_spiral_3
Hope that Karen is feeling better!
Old 05-07-2017

Sister Cry without Mark seems impossible. How did it go?
Old 05-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweekend View Post
Sister Cry without Mark seems impossible. How did it go?
Judge for yourself. Here's Sister Cry from the night before, live streamed from Madison:

https://www.facebook.com/jayhawksoff...7639819260014/

Sister Cry is 11:35-19:05

And here's a pro-shot version from Sellersville:

https://youtu.be/iv8xJ2sVFjs

Sister Cry is 1:36:15-1:42:40

Sister Cry was pulled out of mothballs on this tour for the first time since the 2009-2012 period with Olson, where it popped up occasionally. Before that it was played a tad over 100 times from 2000-2004 without Olson and, of course, many times during the 91-95 era. My favorite versions are from 2000 when Gary and Kraig Johnson often engaged in very memorable guitar duels, sometimes pushing the song past the 10 minute mark. These 2017 versions sound fantastic - a very welcome return to Jayhawks setlists.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: