The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2002
Fuzz Freak

Gary's Live Gear?

Hi everyone!

Man, I didn't realise 'til now that the jayhawks fanpage have a forum! This is so cool! Anyway, just wanna say "hi" to everyone.

And my first post is about Gary's gear. Being a guitar player in a band and a BIG BIG fan of Gary's tone and playing. I've been always interested on his gear. Did you kids noticed my user id "fuzzface71"? Some of you know that this is Gary's favorite fuzz pedal and I've been trying to emulate that sound (specially on TTGG and HTH) for years! The last time I saw them live, I had a chance to chat with Gary and Jen and even asked Gary about the famous Fuzz Face.

Does Gary still use the same set-up pedal wise?

FuzzFace>Teese Wha>FulldriveII>Phase 90

What kind of amp is he using nowadays? Is he still using the Matchless DC-30? I heard somewhere that he now uses a Rotosphere?

Old 12-10-2002

welcome!

Well, it's too damn bad you're way up in Canada! I'm thrilled to see another gear freak here, and I'm glad you found your way over from the musictoyz board!

Unfortunately, I have nothing to add to your questions right now, since I'm over here (New York) and Gary's over there (MN). I am REALLY HOPING (hint, hint) that some of our lucky friends on this board who will be at the electric First Ave shows will get up front and get a peek at Gary's feet.

Come on, folks, even if you don't know what you're looking at -- get descriptions, get photos, post 'em, and we'll figure it out!

Anyway, check out Sandy's 'gear' section for some old quotes from Gary from various guitar magazines, and let's hope that in '03 we get some updates, one way or another.

(And yes, I'm probably the person who pointed out the Rotosphere that Gary was using [acoustically] recently. I, too, have been able to talk gear with him once or twice.)

By the way, for pure tone, I also love the sounds on Sound of Lies. That, to me, is a real guitar record. To play along, you'll need a good tremolo pedal or amp; Gary's doing all that stuff with the Phase 90 these days, live.

All the best,

-- GM
Old 12-10-2002
Fuzz Freak

Re: welcome!

I was actually a member of the Jayhawks Fanclub before I found my way to the musictoyz forum.

Since I got a copy of HTH and TTGG, I've become so obsessed about getting closer to Gary's guitar tone. Just loved that Fender De Luxe and Fuzz Face combo. And I know that he know uses a Matchless DC-30. I've been examining all those live pix from the early days and noticed that he also used a Vox AC3o at one point. I have a Vox!

Anyway it's nice to talk gear directly in the Jayhawks forum. BTW, I'm in 2 bands.. one is an alt/country band, kinda like a cross between The Jayhawks, Whiskeytown and Steve Earl :
http://www.geocities.com/fuzzface_71...esomesite.html

And my main band www.shootingrubys.com
Old 12-16-2002

Did you ever see the promo video that the guys put out back in the HTH days. It's the one were Gary says he hates talking about gear. Oh well, I thought I'd bring it up.

That is all
Old 12-17-2002

Yes, I love that video, and always feel bad talking about gear with him for that reason. But when I have, he's always been very forthcoming! Oh well...

-- GM (In HEAVEN -- two NYC-area dates for January! Now, if we could just get an electric set or two later in the year...)
Old 12-17-2002

I wouldn't think otherwise of Gary.

GM (same initials) (also in heaven; Going to Hoboken and Alexandria shows)
Old 12-17-2002
Fuzz Freak

I find that weird! I have read a Guitar Player magazine interview with Gary and Craig. And they seem to love talking about gear (and in every detail mind you). When I talked to Gary, he's eyes lit up when I started the gear conversation.
Old 12-18-2002

Guitar Player magazine is some pretty darn good publicity. I'm sure his eyes lit up when he got that call.
Old 12-23-2002

Hey fuzzface,

I just finished listening to your bands sound clips and I have to say you guys rock. I'm just curious now what YOU are currently using live.

I'd gladly take a peek at Gary's set-up if they ever come to Portland again. Funny that last time i saw them i was in the front row (jan 2001) and I didn't own a single pedal so I didn't bother to look at the set up he had on the floor. I'd been playing "dry" for 7 years. later that year I saw the Crash Test Dummies (yeah yeah yeah, laugh all you want) and I fell in love with a certain sound that I found out later to be tremolo. Needless to say, now I'm always curious about with pedals everyone is using.

So what do you play?
Old 12-24-2002
Fuzz Freak

Thanks for listening to the clips and glad that you liked it! I used to have almost the same set-up as Gary's..fuzzface, Fulldrive II, Wha, and a phaser.
Here's my set-up:
http://www.shootingrubys.com/kirk.html

BTW what does our music remind you of?

Last edited by fuzzface71 : 12-24-2002 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2003
Fuzz Freak

Hi guys! Did anyone took a peep at Gary's pedals yet?
Old 01-01-2003
Administrator

Well unfortunately the stage at First Avenue is at least 5 ft. high and they had the monitors of course PLUS these big light boxes at the foot of the stage so it was pretty much impossible to see anything. He is still using the Matchless though....
Old 01-02-2003

Aarrrrgh! We need gear info! Since the NY shows will be acoustic, I'm afraid I will also have nothing to report...

-- GM
Old 01-03-2003
Fuzz Freak

From listening to the "Women's Club cd". It sounds like Gary is using some pedals. So that might be worth checking out.
Old 01-05-2003

Quote:
Originally posted by fuzzface71
Thanks for listening to the clips and glad that you liked it! I used to have almost the same set-up as Gary's..fuzzface, Fulldrive II, Wha, and a phaser.
Here's my set-up:
http://www.shootingrubys.com/kirk.html

BTW what does our music remind you of?
Hmmm, I had to take some time to think about this. I assume you meant "who do we sound like that is famous". So how about a cross between:

Gin Blossums
Toad the Wet Sprocket
REM
Golden Smog

Refering to musical style of course - not the vocalist.

I'm listening to the songs again. Damn, too good!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: