The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2003

\\I have tried it on 3 different sources now, one a Sony boombox - decent system, my new Dodge Ram 2500 Infiniti system, and my Yamaha home surround system. It is clearly evident on some high notes on my copy on each system. \\

You know it's bad when a guy with a Dodge Ram 2500 notices it......
Old 04-15-2003

I think that if it were a manufacturing problem, the "problem" would be across the whole mix and not just on the vocals. I don't know, it really doesn't bother me.
Let's just be happy the Jayhawks and Ethan John's took time out of thier lives to make a great album for us to listen to.
Old 04-15-2003

Send a message via AIM to wingchun100 Send a message via Yahoo to wingchun100
Quote:
Originally posted by JustinP.
I think that if it were a manufacturing problem, the "problem" would be across the whole mix and not just on the vocals. I don't know, it really doesn't bother me.
Let's just be happy the Jayhawks and Ethan John's took time out of thier lives to make a great album for us to listen to.
Thats not necessarily the case, my friend. Everything on an album has its own adjustable level so its possible for the vocals to clip and not the guitar. I have noticed that, no matter what the guitars are doing, there's no clip. It's not until there are vocals. Granted, it's not every single vocal line but I just gotta know if I'm hearing things right.
Old 04-15-2003

Yes, us hicks in the big trucks have quite the discriminating ears.......hehe
Old 04-15-2003
Lurker

it's officially driving me crazy. Frustrating mostly- I love the album but am constantly distracted by the distortion. I've tried it on two stereos, my car, and even my shitty work computer headphones. It happens everywhere.

Can't figure out where this could have happened. Seems like more of an engineering problem than a production problem, but I can't believe nobody would have noticed the problem when the album was being finalized. I can only assume that something went wrong when the CDs were being made- maybe the wrong masters were used or something?

Either way I guess I'll write to customer service at amazon, not sure what else to do about it.
Old 04-15-2003

By manufacturing I meant getting pressed at the CD plant.
I meant it's probably not a manufacturing problem, the album definetly left the studio that way.
I don't really think it could have happened on just the vocals at the CD-plant, which means either all the CD's, or none of them have a problem.
Old 04-15-2003
vocals, guitar

Thanks, DC_Jeff, for bringing this up and others for diagnosing it. I have this problem with a few other discs in my collection, but up to now, they have all been female vocalists. I even bought new speakers for my car last year because I thought the factory ones were the culprit; turns out they weren't. It is terribly annoying to have to listen to one of the best voices in music (Gary) along with this crappy distortion.
Old 04-15-2003
LiladyK

I still don't hear any distortion on either my DJ advance or my official one....

It's not quite as clear of a sound as the recording of the bonus disc, or Mark Olson's 'December's Child' for comparison...but I don't hear any clip out on either one of those copies.
Old 04-16-2003

" newspaper roses .....on the side of the road
born and so soon you leave home"

" never cried once in the dark , never cried when you once could have"

amazing.

I really didn't care for Decembers Child at first, then the songs started revealing themselves to me, the twists and turns and the ambience.

With Rainy Day, I liked a good bit of it right away, then as time went on not much of it. I still really like Stumbling (accoustic), angeline and tulsa.
Old 04-16-2003

I too hear the distortion and find it very annoying, especially on Stumbling Through the Dark, Tailspin, and Save it for a Rainy Day. Unfortunately these are some of the better songs on the CD. When I turn the volume up to moderately high levels, where I like to listen to music, the distortion is so harsh that it makes it impossible to listen to. Now when I listen to the CD, I unfortunately skip these tracks. I would consider my home theater to be upper middle-end and have never heard distortion this bad from a CD on it. I exchanged mine at Best Buy for another CD and the second one sounds exactly the same as the first. Both of these copies came with the bonus disc. I was wondering if anyone has heard this distortion on the CD that does not come with the bonus disc? Maybe this batch with the promo disc is bad?

I read an article where where Gary said with the bad economy they had to cut back on their touring expenses, i.e. going stripped-down acoustical with less band members. I hope they didn't drastically cut corners to save a buck on the CD too!!
Old 04-27-2003

Unhappy Distortion

I too find it incredibly annoying to have such harsh distortion on these great songs. I bought the cd without bonus disc at Tower last week. Obviously this is not the way it is supposed to be, and some copies were pressed wrong. I originally heard Save It For A Rainy Day on a MusicChoice channel on DirecTV, and it sounds fine, no distortion. So, those of you who think that's the way it is supposed to be are wrong, or maybe you have a better copy than I do!
Old 04-27-2003
LiladyK

Hi guys,
Hey not trying to criticize anyone's ear perceptions, just a suggestion of what you may be hearing.... I may be wrong if you all really do have defective discs, and I don't.

I don't hear distortion in the recording itself, but to me it sounds more like Gary's voice simply goes oddly hoarse at a lot of moments...do ya think it could just be his voice going hoarse that you perceive as voice clip out? Or are you guys hearing distortion in the music parts too?

Sometime early next week when I get a chance I will listen again and actually write down the exact moments that I hear this...or some of the moments anyway....and we can compare
Old 04-27-2003
Squatter's Rights

ringin' in my ears is heaven sent

F@%#Kin' A !!!!
my RDM is TAO
Bonus Disc too
Old 04-27-2003

I know what you're saying about Gary's voice, but that's not it. It's very noticeable distortion, so I think if you have to question it, you must have a good copy. You could create the same effect if you tried to burn a cd, but turned the recording levels up way too high. I have close to a thousand cds in my collection, and none have a problem like this. Since I said before that I heard a distortion-free advance copy of Rainy Day prior to buying my cd, you would have to agree that all of us complaining here have defective discs. I'm glad that some of you have good copies, because the songs are so good. The clipping is just so bad on my copy that I don't want to listen to it again until I get a good copy.
I hope the band or the record company respond to this soon.
Old 04-27-2003
LiladyK

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyB
Since I said before that I heard a distortion-free advance copy of Rainy Day prior to buying my cd, you would have to agree that all of us complaining here have defective discs.
ok, guess I missed reading that statement somewhere....so many posters here recently, hard to remember or have time to keep up or read thru it all

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: