The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2003

hey everybody.

It's fucking ART!! there are no rules, they can do whatever they want. Listen closely to the guitar on "Saigon" by John Prine or to some Rolling Stones albums if you you think there is a problem here, you'll shit. I think the album is a classic.
Old 04-12-2003
Squatter's Rights

Re: hey everybody.

Quote:
Originally posted by JustinP.
It's fucking ART!! there are no rules,

Hey I like this kid!!!!
Go get em'

I see the board has exploded lilady and your head will too if you try and keep everybody happy!!!

I hope you folks know that Gary and Marc do read the posts from time to time...and they have opinions too!!! mostly about us...
Old 04-12-2003
Fuzz Freak

Re: Sound problems on new album?

Quote:
Originally posted by DC_Jeff
I love the new album, but there's something about the vocals that's catching my attention. Does anyone else think they sound like they're a little....well, fried? I'm not a sound technician, so I don't know the technical terms here, but it's kind of like the sound your speakers make when your amp is turned up too high...sort of a frayed, frazzled sound. Except I'm hearing this on the vocals no matter how soft or loud I'm playing the record. I hear it on my stereo, on my iPod, even on my shower radio/CD player.
They do sound dry. I think that's what you meant. It's more honest and raw sounding. Not much reverb.
Old 04-12-2003

i like this kid too!

Hey, i didn't know we could cuss! I wanna cuss too! This album is fuckin kick ass! And gary's guitar solos on FOOLS PARADE is fuckin AMAZING!

that was fun.

oh, and yeah, I agree with Justin P there are no rules for art, and if someone thinks there are - they should go back and listen to THE BEATLES for a refresher on breaking the rules.
Old 04-12-2003

More thoughts

Didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities. Again, I was just curious as to whether anyone had noticed what I'd noticed, and if they thought this was a problem with the disc or something that was done intentionally.

At the same time, though, I have a hard time picturing Ethan Johns saying, "Hey, let's set the levels so that when Gary really starts belting it out, his voice breaks up."

So...one more time:

1. I love the album
2. Some people call it "raw." Some people call it "stripped down." I just call it great.
3. I'm curious about something, and I think my curiosity is completely separate from any opinions I have regarding the album's artistic merit. My question was a technical question, but since I don't have the technical expertise to word it properly, people might have misinterpreted the point I was trying to make.
Old 04-12-2003
Squatter's Rights

Justin Time

Quote:
Originally posted by Dignan
Hey, i didn't know we could cuss! I wanna cuss too! This album is fuckin kick ass! And gary's guitar solos on FOOLS PARADE is fuckin AMAZING!

Quote w/curse words, how fun is that
Who said they don't make good rockers anymore?? (glacier55)
I can only hope they'll pull that one out this summer, it rocks my world bigtime!!! See Jony Gary really does like Spain for some weird reason lol!!!

Song also reminds musky of Villge Idiot from Soul Asylum's Horse disc with bonus tracks...
Old 04-12-2003
LiladyK

Re: More thoughts

Quote:
Originally posted by DC_Jeff
Didn't mean to offend anyone's sensibilities. Again, I was just curious as to whether anyone had noticed what I'd noticed, and if they thought this was a problem with the disc or something that was done intentionally.

At the same time, though, I have a hard time picturing Ethan Johns saying, "Hey, let's set the levels so that when Gary really starts belting it out, his voice breaks up."

So...one more time:

1. I love the album
2. Some people call it "raw." Some people call it "stripped down." I just call it great.
3. I'm curious about something, and I think my curiosity is completely separate from any opinions I have regarding the album's artistic merit. My question was a technical question, but since I don't have the technical expertise to word it properly, people might have misinterpreted the point I was trying to make.

Lilady says: Hey DC! No sweat dude....who said you offended anyone?? When communications are typed rather than spoken, meanings can get lost, points misinterpreted.

And I agree w/you on the Ethan Johns comment. I just can't picture it....it doesn't sound like something Gary would want to have happen on his work, but maybe I'm wrong. On the other hand I know John Lennon woulda
Old 04-12-2003
Lurker

I'm with DC Jeff. I hear it. It's there. The levels are a bit too high when Gary hits some of the louder, higher notes.

Ever play a record with a dusty needle, and the music cracks on a particularly loud or high part? Reminds me of that.

Or, if you have a tape deck with adjustable recording levels, try recording something with the recording levels as high as they can go. You'll get the same effect (though a bit exaggerated).

It has nothing to do with the music, and surely isn't intentional- Could be a mistake in the manufacturing process, perhaps?

Everything sounds great besides that, though. It's like a whole different album than what I was hearing on that crappy amazon stream...
Old 04-12-2003
LiladyK

would someone please specify a specific place(s) where the clip out is happening....wanna check it out
Old 04-12-2003

quote:

LiladyK said:

would someone please specify a specific place(s) where the clip out is happening....wanna check it out

Listen closely to the chorus of Save It for a Rainy Day...and the "Searching for a little bit of truth" line on Will I See You in Heaven, as well as the second time they sing the chorus on that song.
Old 04-12-2003
Lurker

I first noticed it about 25 seconds into the first track. Listen to the line "running in circles why", it's pretty clear there for me.

I guess it's possible that it could only be on some discs? or only happen on certain stereos? or i'm just way too hyper about this sort of thing?
Old 04-13-2003
Squatter's Rights

I guess we'll hafta buy the viynal and compare.
How loud are you listening it?
does it go away? or is it always there?
do you think it's something in the mix? or manufacture of the disc cause it would be hard to compare unless you had multiple copies.
I hear slight over modulation
but that comes with some digital sounds as opposed to analogue sounds
now I'm confused
confused Mr.Toes
Old 04-14-2003

Sound Probs on European CD as well

OK, I'm new to this message board and i've sent a similar thread to the lost highway site. I've read thorough the comments and wanted to add my own. I got a European copy of the Album last monday and have played it to death. I'm not going to get embroiled in the 'raw' argument or how RDM was recorded. However, when I first heard it it was through a poor system - laptop and cheap headphones. I thought there were sound problems on the first four tracks - and only on Gary's really high notes. When I got home at the weekend i put it through good kit and with speakers and headphones it's still there. I'm not saying it detracts from how good the songs or album is as its perfect apart from this. I'm not sure if it's intentional or not - if it is it shouldn't be. It sounds like clipping and at this level with these producers it's sort of unforgiveable if it's an error. Anyhow - has everyone got the problem or is it just batches? There's colouration on my disc so it may be a batch. I'm going to take it back tonight to see if I can get it replaced again and check it out.

Looking forward to the UK shows!
Old 04-14-2003

I have tried it on 3 different sources now, one a Sony boombox - decent system, my new Dodge Ram 2500 Infiniti system, and my Yamaha home surround system. It is clearly evident on some high notes on my copy on each system. If it was not intentional, the producer has some explaining to do. If it was artistic and intentional, then I am ok with that, whatever. I almost think it has to be either a duplication problem or they meant to do it. You can't miss that, especially if you listened to it layer by layer, not at this professional of a level. I have tons of music with purposeful distortion ie early Pavement and other bands of that ilk. Pavement clearly meant to do their distortion, at least I hope they did!!
Old 04-14-2003

Send a message via AIM to wingchun100 Send a message via Yahoo to wingchun100
Well there is good distortion and bad distortion in my book.

Good would be if the sound didn't clip but the vocals sound fuzzed out.

Bad is if it clips...and sometimes, to add insult to injury, it doesn't even get fuzzed out...just clipped!

What I have heard on RDM is bad distortion.

Looking back over these posts, I think it's about time someone contacted the band/the management/the label. Does ANYONE know where we should go to get the most sufficient explanation for this?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: