The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2005

Olson and Louris in Madison

A hell of a show! I was completely amazed to see Mark and Gary on stage and playing together. It is something I never thought I would see. Just an outstanding show. I would of been happy with just the performance of Blue to be honest with you. Sure, they needed to tighten things up in a few spots, but overall I was very, very impressed with what I saw. *easily* my favorite show that I have seen by any Jayhawks member.

It is pretty damn obvious what Olson brings to the table. He brings a spark, and some drive and fire to the live shows. I especially loved him doing harmony on Tailspin. I was very impressed by Gary's technical ability and by Mark's bass playing plus keyboard ability. They really nailed the Hollywood Town Hall stuff. They made some of those songs EPIC last night.

I have to say I was also highly impressed with Razz. That guy is a hell of a talent and has a very interesting voice. It was incredible hearing the string parts live and in person. He could also play a mean organ. Mark had mentioned he was retiring at the end of the year. Too bad.

The drummer seemed to do a pretty good job as well.

I really don't know what to say after seeing a show I never thought I would see. This is just one of those moments where it still feels like it didn't really happen. Very cool.

I had a couple interesting run-ins with some drunks and smokers, which were fun. Overall though Madison is a great town. It would be a fine place to live.

THANK YOU Mark and Gary for such a great time. I can't believe it ever happened.

Last edited by PretentiousWilco : 02-20-2005 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-20-2005
Drive By Tukker

Quote:
I was completely amazed to see Mark and Gary on stage and playing together.
Like, what are THEY doing here?

So you were at the show and got home OK? You mean no one recognized you??

I bet you were in disguise, wearing a "I'm not Glacier" sticker.

Glad to hear you had a great time!
Old 02-20-2005
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Send a message via MSN to Calexico Send a message via Yahoo to Calexico
Great review PW....sounds like a blast and a historic moment in Jayhawks history!!

Drunks and smokers eh?That mean you ran into musky and norma?

I am so jealous now it is untrue!!

Scrobbler
Old 02-20-2005

awesome

I agree with Wilco, what a night!!! I unfortunately never got to see The Jayhawks Olson/louris era although I've followed them since '95, this was a dream for me seeing those two together. I didnt expect the relationship that i saw onstage. Gary, modest humble very comfortable, Marc, carefree jolly modest humble, the music was so simple yet so perfect. hearing all the jayhawks songs that marc wrote: Over My Shoulder, Two Angels....was perfect unbelieveable even the new Jayhawks songs like Tailspin, Angelyne with Marc harmonies was perfect. many highlights in the show that lasted 2.5 hours......

go see the band!!
Old 02-20-2005
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Hey Joe...(I couldn't resist that one)....don't forget that those songs you mentioned..Shoulder and Angels are credited to Olson/Louris.....not just Mark.

Scrobbler
Old 02-20-2005
Swim baby Swim

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito
Re: Olson and Louris in Madison

[quote]Originally posted by PretentiousWilco
[b]A hell of a show! I was completely amazed to see Mark and Gary on stage and playing together. It is something I never thought I would see. Just an outstanding show. I would of been happy with just the performance of Blue to be honest with you. Sure, they needed to tighten things up in a few spots, but overall I was very, very impressed with what I saw. *easily* my favorite show that I have seen by any Jayhawks member.

I'm glad that you had a great time.

Anyways, was Razz wearing his "plumb" tennis shoes? Mystic Sprial was commenting to Razz how much she like his purple shoes but he corrected her and said they were "plumb"! LOL.

Anyways I should get back to studing for a test in Consitutional Law.

~Kristy
Old 02-20-2005

Great show last night. Highlight for me was hearing "I'd Run Away." I think it was only the 2nd or 3rd song, but it was just outstanding.

As was noted, Olson looked like he was having the time of his life. Lots of energy, outstanding bass playing, some good crowd interaction. He was having FUN.

I absolutely loved the new song "Say You'll Be Mine." It was my first time hearing it. Propelled by a (for lack of a better word) very sexy bassline from Mark. I was very encouraged by the tune if that's what the new stuff will sound like.

Both Mark and Gary were generous with their time after the show. Pictures and autographs near the merchandise table. Played for right at 2 1/2 hours and still had energy and time to spend with the fans afterward.

Don't have a full setlist, but I know they played Waiting for the Sun, Crowded In the Wings, Take Me With You, Two Angels, Blue, Two Hearts, Over My Shoulder, Bad Time, See Him on the Street, Tailspin, Save It For a Rainy Day, One Man's Problem, and Angelyne. Plus, well, a lot more.

I thought a good audio mix. You could hear the harmonies quite clearly.
Old 02-20-2005

Oh, and a thousand thank you's to greekguy for letting me use his tickets. He was unable to attend but allowed to to purchase them at face value and attend an outstanding show. Thanks so much.
Old 02-20-2005

huff huff hufff

God hearing all these wonderful post-show remarks is making me so excited I'm gonna hyperventilate...about three weeks to go still for me. I hope i don't cry through the whole performance, it'll make my mascara run.

Thanks all
Old 02-20-2005
Jimmy's guitar sound...

Re: huff huff hufff

Quote:
Originally posted by JumboFun
God hearing all these wonderful post-show remarks is making me so excited I'm gonna hyperventilate...about three weeks to go still for me. I hope i don't cry through the whole performance, it'll make my mascara run.

Thanks all
Yeah,that's what happened to Lenno I heard too...very messy!

Scrobbler
Old 02-20-2005
Lenno

was that you PW at the Intowner talking over breakfast to some girl about My Own Jo Ellen and December's Child??
Old 02-20-2005
Mental Midget

Quote:
Originally posted by Dahlfan
Oh, and a thousand thank you's to greekguy for letting me use his tickets. He was unable to attend but allowed to to purchase them at face value and attend an outstanding show. Thanks so much.
Scot,

Glad you were able to use the tickets without any problems, and equally glad you had a good time!
Old 02-20-2005
On a Dusty road..

Quote:
Originally posted by Dahlfan

I absolutely loved the new song "Say You'll Be Mine." It was my first time hearing it. Propelled by a (for lack of a better word) very sexy bassline from Mark. I was very encouraged by the tune if that's what the new stuff will sound like.
Hiya Dahlfan,and welcome to the board
"Say you'll be mine" is a song Mark and Gary wrote together and is on Mark's/Creekdippers, Decembers Child album..unless they wrote another "Say you'll be mine" recently

J.P.

Living is easy with eye's closed.
Old 02-20-2005

""was that you PW at the Intowner talking over breakfast to some girl about My Own Jo Ellen and December's Child??""

nah I drove up from Chicago at around 6:30 PM and got in a few minutes before the show. We called the weathermans bluff and headed home after the show. Turns out they were full of shit as usual.

Awesome show. And I have to say, I listened to the Ames bootleg today and the Madison show sounds like it was much better. Sold out and a rocking crowd. Good to see a ton of young people at the show. That is a good sign for the band.
Old 02-20-2005

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.

Hiya Dahlfan,and welcome to the board
"Say you'll be mine" is a song Mark and Gary wrote together and is on Mark's/Creekdippers, Decembers Child album..unless they wrote another "Say you'll be mine" recently

J.P.
Thanks. Mark introduced it as "the song that got Gary and I back together," so I assumed it was a bit newer. Great tune.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: