The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2011

great show last night, the sound was crisp, clear and loud.... just how I like it..... Gary started having feedback problems during "Black Eyed Susan", they ended up having start and stop it twice, but after all that, Mark promised us the best version of that song EVER, and I can't dispute that, they got it right on the 3rd try..... for those interested, here's a link to a photo of last nights setlist..... unless I'm completely suffering from amnesia, I don't think they did any of the songs listed on the 2nd encore....

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/...92a30449c9.jpg

Last edited by kubacheck : 10-01-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2011

Location: The Magic Fingers Massage Parlor at Manchester & Main
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubacheck View Post
great show last night, the sound was crisp, clear and loud.... just how I like it..... Gary started having feedback problems during "Black Eyed Susan", they ended up having start and stop it twice, but after all that, Mark promised us the best version of that song EVER, and I can't dispute that, they got it right on the 3rd try..... for those interested, here's a link to a photo of last nights setlist..... unless I'm completely suffering from amnesia, I don't think they did any of the songs listed on the 2nd encore....

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6014/...92a30449c9.jpg
Gah! A *typed* setlist from the Jayhawks? Noooooooooo!
Old 10-03-2011

Send a message via AIM to philipgar
I'll have a more thorough review of things later, but will post some initial impressions on the HSB show (and not the slim's show) here real quick. The show was awesome, probably the largest crowd for a show the jayhawks were headling (well the stage they were on at least) in the US.... possibly ever. The place was packed, and at least up front people were familiar with the new stuff, and obviously the old material.

There were also likely thousands of "old school" fans in the crowd, hopefully a fair enough number of them pick up the new album, seems like great publicity for the band, and perfect timing.

As for the show itself, the band was in great form. They really rocked the place down. I think one of the more interesting moments was for High Water Blues. This might be the first time I've ever seen this, but mark put his guitar aside, grabbed the mic and just led the song jumping around the stage. I haven't really seen him take charge like that before, and I don't think I've ever seen him singing without a guitar in his hands. It was really quite effective, and worked well for the song. High water blues has quickly become my favorite song off the new one. I'll try to post some more later. I'm still coming down from the shows at HSB... Just an amazing time.

Of course, try as they could, it was hard for the Jayhawks to top the act before them, when Justin Townes Earle finishes his set by inviting the 400 unit, as well as his father up on stage to play with him. I don't know when justin and steve last shared a stage, but it was something to see, that's for sure.

Phil
Old 10-04-2011
Bad Spellerr

I'll try to post some pics in a few days.

But for me it all comes down to this: It was my first time seeing Gary, Mark, Marc, Karen and Tim play together. I had to pinch myself a time or two. It was well worth the 4 hours up and 5 hours back (dumb Bay Bridge traffic).

Loved it. Absolutely loved it. Tampa to Tulsa sounded SO great. Karen on the keys, Mark on acoustic...it just added a new dimension to an already great song. More later.
Old 10-04-2011
Here to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipgar View Post
but mark put his guitar aside, grabbed the mic and just led the song jumping around the stage.
That's a first for sure! I'm glad the new songs inspire the band that much.

website on The Jayhawks with info on Precious Time projects vol. I & II
Old 10-04-2011
semi-retired, fully wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precious Time View Post
That's a first for sure! I'm glad the new songs inspire the band that much.
He's been doing that on HWB pretty much since they started playing it live this summer.
Old 10-04-2011
Here to stay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacred roots View Post
He's been doing that on HWB pretty much since they started playing it live this summer.
Sorry I missed those shows....

website on The Jayhawks with info on Precious Time projects vol. I & II
Old 10-04-2011
Dog Whisperer

The HSB show was great, but I feel kind of bad for The Jayhawks because since they were one of the headliners on Sunday, I could see the crowd fading out. A lot of people were leaving during their set, no doubt exhausted after such a great weekend, but I felt bad for the band and hope they didn't take that personally. I tried to get close to the stage, but one of the volunteer staff was shutting us out, which I thought was strange since the rest of the weekend was really mellow and awesome. Oh well, you always get one over-zealous guard at these big outdoor events. I'm anxious to see The Jayhawks later this month in a regular theatre setting. Too bad I didn't get to meet up with any of the West Coast fanpagers.
Old 10-04-2011

Send a message via AIM to philipgar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
The HSB show was great, but I feel kind of bad for The Jayhawks because since they were one of the headliners on Sunday, I could see the crowd fading out. A lot of people were leaving during their set, no doubt exhausted after such a great weekend, but I felt bad for the band and hope they didn't take that personally. I tried to get close to the stage, but one of the volunteer staff was shutting us out, which I thought was strange since the rest of the weekend was really mellow and awesome. Oh well, you always get one over-zealous guard at these big outdoor events. I'm anxious to see The Jayhawks later this month in a regular theatre setting. Too bad I didn't get to meet up with any of the West Coast fanpagers.
Don't forget that the Jayhawks were playing at the same time as Emmy Lou Harris. I don't think the Jayhawks would look down on anyone who left their set to go see her perform. In fact, I'm sure they were amazed that this many people would rather see them!

Phil
Old 10-05-2011

HSB Sunday

I was one of those that left half way through the Jayhawks to see Emmylou, not wanting to miss seeing who would load the stage with her for the festival finale. The usher that was policing who could move to the front area for the jayhawks, "friends of those up there", told me I couldn't move forward but I said "I'm skinny and I'll just slink into an opening", and he said okay. He shouldn't have been stopping peoples, as yes, there were more people leaving than arriving for the Jayhawks.

And what was up with people not giving their rapt attention to the band, looking around, talking to their friends, not grooving. A *big* difference from the rowdy drinking and toking party vibe at the Arrow stage on Sunday where the bohemians crushed forward, with lots of people up-front, focused on the bands, dancing and singing in tight quarters, those with big tarps near the stage be damned.

Dark Star Orchestra was late getting started there, and heard only one song before moving to the Jayhawks at the Rooster. They're a Grateful Dead cover band and were playing the GD's Golden Gate concert of 1974 Sunday. Also at Arrow, Moonalice with Pete Sears and Barry Sless was excellent, and enjoyed Hot Buttered Rum, The Mother Hips and especially the hillbilly old-timey acoustic trio, Devil Makes Three. They had the place hopping.

Ryan Bingham with Bill Kirchen and Robbie Gjersoe adding guitar wizardry was my favorite on Saturday and M Ward and Robert Plant on Friday.

Quite the three days of music. Never made it to any after-festival shows. Too burnt out. My review with a link to my photos at the Seattle Music & More Forum:
http://mtheads.yuku.com/topic/2337/H...Bluegrass-2011
Old 10-05-2011

Jayhawks Photos at HSBluegrass

Freeloosedirt has some good photos of the Jayhawks HSB performance at flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freeloo...n/photostream/
Old 10-05-2011
Fast driving Jennerbug!!!

Send a message via AIM to girl incognito1
Great photos Jiff!!!!!
My Blog
My Business Website
Old 10-06-2011
Dog Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
Freeloosedirt has some good photos of the Jayhawks HSB performance at flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/freeloo...n/photostream/
These are fantastic and bring back memories of a few days ago! My camera is dying and sucks. I saw so many of those people like the cat guy and the bearded guy selling beer. I can't believe that one photo of someone getting busted for selling beer. Beer???? OMG, with everything else that was being sold, that's astonishing. I'm surprised I didn't turn up in any of those photos. The guard who harshed on me when I was trying to get closer to the Jayhawks stage is in one of the photos.
Old 10-06-2011

Photos

Yeah, I managed to talk that guard into letting me go forward. I was surprised that I was stopped, coming from other stages where there was no ushering. A few painted aisles, kept clear of standing by guards, would have been nice at all the stages.

Beer selling: I guess the police figured they had a shot at shutting that down, but smoking weed, no way. I was ill prepared and carried around warm beer in a bag, but had a few cold ones from the sellers.

Yeah, I looked through a lot of flickr photos looking for myself. Saw someone's that were taken all around me, but no me. I take a lot of audience photos just cause I find them more interesting than redundant musician photos and there are plenty of those taken by people with better cameras than my little pocket Panasonic.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: