The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2003

Sound problems on new album?

I love the new album, but there's something about the vocals that's catching my attention. Does anyone else think they sound like they're a little....well, fried? I'm not a sound technician, so I don't know the technical terms here, but it's kind of like the sound your speakers make when your amp is turned up too high...sort of a frayed, frazzled sound. Except I'm hearing this on the vocals no matter how soft or loud I'm playing the record. I hear it on my stereo, on my iPod, even on my shower radio/CD player.
Old 04-10-2003

i need one!

you have a shower/radioCd player?! man, i need to get one of those! Although I shudder to think what I might do while listening to maria mckee.
Old 04-10-2003

\\love the new album, but there's something about the vocals that's catching my attention. Does anyone else think they sound like they're a little....well, fried? I'm not a sound technician, so I don't know the technical terms here, but it's kind of like the sound your speakers make when your amp is turned up too high...sort of a frayed, frazzled sound. Except I'm hearing this on the vocals no matter how soft or loud I'm playing the record. I hear it on my stereo, on my iPod, even on my shower radio/CD player.\\

The vocals IMHO are mixed a little too heavy up front. It's not the most flattering style for Gary's voice. It does seem like there is some peak limiting going on, and im referencing them on studio headphones, studio monitors, home theater system ,car cd player and walkman.
Old 04-10-2003

I'm reading from the subscribed list that not everybody is experiencing this; my copies are perfect, for example.

As someone there suggested, somebody should tell Lost Highway there's a production problem with a certain run or percentage of the run, but I'm sure Sandy is already on it...

-- GM
Old 04-10-2003
done mama proud

Send a message via AIM to ericcd
Scratches......oh those scratches...

Yup! I heard them last night in my headphones as I was falling asleep. It sounds like Gary's voice is clipping a bit in the heavier parts of some songs. It's not as bad when it's not in headphones...

-eric
Old 04-10-2003

Talking

The vocals on this album are nice and raw -- one of the best things about the way it sounds. Put it down to the 'hawks' having the guts to avoid the trendy crap (effects) other bands put on their voices. Gary delivers some of his best vocals ever in my opinion. Yes, they were mixed kinda hot, but when the singers (yes all of them) deliver those kind of performances, they should be.

I am stoked about this album the more i hear it. i got it in the mail today and have listened to it (both CDs) three times already. So proud of them. They have given me what I want -- honesty in the recording process and pure, rootsy arrangements and instrumentation. And the icing on the cake is the harmony vocals all over the place. Yummy!

Suzanne in Alabam
Old 04-11-2003

agreed

love the album. that's it, there's nothing else.
Old 04-11-2003

Raw versus defective

I don't have any problem with groups sounding raw or honest or whatever adjective you want to apply, but I do have a problem with shelling out money for a defective mix. You can sound raw without the vocals breaking up and clipping.
Old 04-11-2003

shower cd player

And the shower CD player was a Christmas gift.

It's nice for NPR in the morning...but there's just not enough bass.
Old 04-11-2003
LiladyK

Re: Raw versus defective

Quote:
Originally posted by DC_Jeff
I don't have any problem with groups sounding raw or honest or whatever adjective you want to apply, but I do have a problem with shelling out money for a defective mix. You can sound raw without the vocals breaking up and clipping.

I think that you're confusing two different and unrelated aspects of music making. A defective mix doesn't have anything at all to do w/the style of the sound that is recorded. And vocals that break up and clip, are recording volume related problems.

Also, RDM may be 'stripped down' in comparison to the last 'Smile' release and SOL release post Olson, but I personally wouldn't classify it as 'raw'.

Mark Olson's solo post Jayhawks CD December's Child.....now I think that's 'raw'...and no breaking up/clipping/mix/production problems there.

Still waiting for Amazon to deliver my official one...lil ears here are still burning on the DJ advance copy for now!

Last edited by LiladyK : 04-11-2003 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2003

quote:

I think that you're confusing two different and unrelated aspects of music making. A defective mix doesn't have anything at all to do w/the style of the sound that is recorded. And vocals that break up and clip, are recording volume related problems.

Also, RDM may be 'stripped down' in comparison to the last 'Smile' release and SOL release post Olson, but I personally wouldn't classify it as 'raw'.

Mark Olson's solo post Jayhawks CD December's Child.....now I think that's 'raw'...and no breaking up/clipping/mix/production problems there.

Still waiting for Amazon to deliver my official one...lil ears here are still burning on the DJ advance copy for now!

No, I thought I made it perfectly clear that I was not confusing a raw recording style with a possibly defective disc. I love the album, I love the approach they took to recording. I'm just trying to make the point that the vocals on my copy of the CD sound clipped...that's all. Just wondering if other people have noticed this; aparently they have.

No offense, but I don't see how you interpreted what I wrote as a sign that I can't tell the difference. I wasn't the one who called RDM "raw" in the first place anyway...I really couldn't care less what adjective is used to describe it. It's a great album and I've been listening to it around the clock, but I wish I didn't have this nagging feeling that something went a bit haywire when they mixed it or mastered it or whatever.

Last edited by DC_Jeff : 04-11-2003 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2003
done mama proud

Send a message via AIM to ericcd
Middle Ground...

I think the effect we are hearing is not a defect...it's the desired effect, and it's cool. It's just a little grating sometimes when your looking for a crystal clear harmony. I heard/read it was recorded in an old studio once used by Buffalo Springfield, and the recording sounds like it was kept a bit unfiltered (as if to bring out some of that old magic). Not to sound too sentimental, but a lot of the album sounds like a throwback, and I have no problems with it whatsoever. Even if it wasn't done on purpose.
Old 04-12-2003

Send a message via AIM to wingchun100 Send a message via Yahoo to wingchun100
I noticed a sound problem too. Sometimes it sounds like there's a buzzing/scratching noise that shouldn't be there. This is called "clipping." It was a problem many people think is present on the debut album for Billy Corgan's new band Zwan. I will try to describe it as best I can here:

If you were to open up one of the song files in an audio editing program such as Soundforge or Goldwave, the song would be represented by a bunch of peaks and valleys. Naturally, the very tip of the peak should come to a point. However, if the peak is flat then that means the sound has been "clipped" and that's when you will get the buzzing noise.

Hope that helps. I'm not sure how many of you know what I'm talking about with the peaks and valleys thing, but I gave it a try LOL.
Old 04-12-2003

Send a message via AIM to wingchun100 Send a message via Yahoo to wingchun100
...and I'm a moron for not reading all the other replies to this thread cos apparently you people DO know what I'm talking about LOL.
Old 04-12-2003
LiladyK

wingchun is right about the peaks and valleys description. I record shows, and if the recorded playback sound hits the last horizontal bar at a particular peak, I've had the recording volume up too loud and experience "clip out". Not all of the song will be muffled sounding, just only at the places in the song where that particular peak went up too high. Doesn't matter how low I play the finished product, I have a ruined recording. There are editing programs for this, but they don't really do much 'magic', they only soften the clips.

Note to DC_Jeff: my earlier comments concerning 'raw' music... I am stating my generic opinion and nothing else.

Also, the way that you wrote your previous post reads as if you are relating 'raw' music to recording clip out.....I responded as to my interpretation of that post.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: