The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2004

Question How did you hear?

Someone recently posted a thread wondering if anyone had been turned on to the Jayhawks, by a Jayhawk.

I had nothing of value to contribute to that brilliant question. But it did cause me to ponder another . . .

How did everyone first hear the Jayhawks? I think it could be the subject matter of quite a wonderful tribute. You know, like when someone asks you to tell the story of how you met the love of your life. How your eyes light up, and your heart starts to beat a little faster, your brain turns to mush . . . you get the idea.

So send your stories. And if you ask really nice, maybe I'll tell you mine.

Quote:
Stood by unbelievin' . . . stood by on my own . . .
Old 01-08-2004
done mama proud

Send a message via AIM to ericcd
MTV

Once...and only once...I saw the Jayhawks video for "Waiting for the Sun" on MTV. As I recall it was black and white, but it's been a long time. I rushed out and bought Hollywood Town Hall and was hooked immediately.

Later...

I was suspended from High School (for fighting) the day Tomorrow the Green Grass came out, so I took the city bus to the mall and hung out there with my walkman all day listening.

I've been a fan since...
Old 01-08-2004
Lenno

reconstruction

1993: heard "Take Me With You (When You Go) on the radio, was a minor hit over here)
1993: saw them on TV perform on the Pinkpop Festival.
1996: bought the I'd Run Away single for a buck
1997: I stumbled across TTGG and thought, hey, this that nice band I have a single from. Let's buy it
2000: bought Smile and thought it was the follow-up from TTGG
2002: finally purchased a copy of "HTH"
end 2002: signed up on this board and then I became infected with the good vibe here...."And now it's all this".
2003: went to my first Jayhawks shows (May/Sept)

As you can tell, a slooooooow start and running now at full speed!
Old 01-08-2004
Squatter's Rights

I remember it like it was yesterday

I was 19 years old and working in a mom and pop record store when we got a box of records in it from TCI.
In it was a plain white album that said The Jayhawks on it.
It was on some obscure/unknown label Bunkhouse
Knowing a little about the MPLS scene from working my way through college on the radio station, and being a big fan of the Gear Daddies.
I took a chance and bought it new for about $6.00
A couple weeks later I got the program director for the radio station to get a copy.
I used to play "Stregnth" by the Gear Dads then "Six Pack on the Dashboard" every night before signing off the air.
(sigh)
Couldn't wait for Blue Earth to come out.
Moved to MPLS in '90 and started hanging out with the wrong crowd...
Well that's my whole life in a nuttshell...
I remember getting a cass of HTH demo's
I remember the day I got TTGG

Mostly I remember listening to alot of Frank Zappa in the back of a VW....
Old 01-08-2004
I'm fae Fife Man

Saw Blue video as chosen by Metallica as their favourite band on a late night metal tv show. I was pissed and we only had four channels to choose from.
Old 01-08-2004

i first got into the Jayhawks when Hollywood Town Hall came out. i heard "Waiting for the Sun" on the radio, and i was hooked. i loved it. it was not like anything else i'd ever heard at the time. so i got HTH, and then every album since.

Last edited by hellaciousc : 01-08-2004 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-08-2004

Christine(member from this board; dunno if she still visits) convinced me to go see them live. I had probably heard some of their stuff before, but never really payed much attention. Loved there live acoustic set, and listened to more of their stuff, and loved it all.

tbh I always ment to ask Christine where she had heard them but never got around to it.
Old 01-08-2004

I saw the Blue video on VH-1 in 1995 and I fell in love with it. Bought TTGG the next day. It really changed my outlook on music b/c at the time I was into alternative rock stuff such as Nirvana, Pearl Jam, NIN, etc...... After hearing Blue it started my path to getting hardcore into roots music which continues to this day.
Old 01-08-2004

I moved to Minnesota in 1990 for college, walked into the Electric Fetus, asked the guy there to clue me into a couple local bands, and purchased Blue Earth. Was that really 14 years ago?
Old 01-08-2004
Mental Midget

I used to work with a guy back around 1990 who would always talk about "The Jayhawks" and how much he loved their music. Based on what the guy looked like, I just assumed they were a crappy local hard rock band and decided that, since I never agreed with this guy on anything, that they probably sucked.

Over the next 8 or 10 years, I would occasionally hear their name come up and had them dismissed in my mind as a local band hanging on in the same vein as Lamont Cranston or maybe even the Rockin' Hollywoods.

It was then that my wife, greekgal brought home a burned copy of Smile from this guy that we know. She also had in her hand something called Son Volt and Uncle Tupelo. I had noticed that Jim Walsh had given high praise to Smile so I brought it to the car one morning for the ride to work. I listened to it a few times and realized that maybe I had these guys pegged wrong. I mean, could John Gangl have been right about these guys 10 years ago and I didn't even listen? Maybe so.

Over the next month or so, I found myself coming back and back to that disc (actually, I bought one of my own). It was getting close to Christmastime in 2000 and we noticed that they were playing First Avenue over the weekend. We got tickets to the Saturday show and they played something like 34 or 35 songs and even though I had only heard 10 or 12 of the songs before, I was hooked. We were particluarly impressed with the fans that night. We stood about 5 rows back from center stage and not once did we get pushed or slammed into. Even when Gary Jumped into the crowd right in front of greekgal there was a politeness from the crowd that I did not expect. I will say that this politeness has not occurred in recent years as much as that night. We talked for days about the passion of the fans at that show.

Anyway, I loaded up on the rest of the albums and holed up in my basement and played them over and over. I think we have missed maybe 3 local shows since then and let the hawks run our schedule when they are in town, in spite of the fact that we have two kids who play hockey.

Side note: At a later date I tried out those other two bands and found out that they were pretty good also, even though they were no longer with us. I would have to say that the simple act of one guy burning a disc for us absolutely changed my musical interests and in some ways my way of life (overdramatic statement, but I know some you know what I mean). I am against music piracy for reasons like the Jayhawks and bands that deserve support, but without that act, there are countless albums that never get sold because I don't buy them or none of my converted friends did either.
Old 01-08-2004
Scooter Pilot

A friend brought over HTH and said that he'd never heard anything that captured he feeling of rural Minnesota as well as this album did, and that I'd better listen to it. I did, and he was right.

I waited eagerly for the release of TTGG, and I remember they played "Blue" on the radio the day it was released. I had already arrived at work but sat there in my car in the parking lot with the radio cranked until it was over. Bought TTGG that very day.
Old 01-08-2004
Administrator

Seems like I've told this one a million times but here it goes again...

I was a big Replacements fan and after their breakup I kinda watched for what they were all up to afterwards. Well one day in 1992 I noticed a photo of this "supergroup" called Golden Smog in the Random Notes section of Rolling Stone magazine. There was ex-Mats drummer Chris Mars hanging out amongst the trees with a few other guys. I'd heard of Soul Asylum and Run Westy Run but didn't know who the heck the Jayhawks were. But I went and ordered the "On Golden Smog" disc from Crackpot. I absolutely fell in love with the vocals on "Easy To Be Hard". Since they guys were using their smog names in the liner notes I didn't know who was doing what really. Well fast forward to the fall of 1992 and WXRT here in Chicago started playing "Waiting For The Sun"....it was like "there's the voice!". I didn't pick up the cd until October though, I was at a Sugar show and I remember thinking I can either buy a Sugar t-shirt tonight or go buy the Jayhawks HTH cd. Well the next day I went over to Rose Records and bought Hollywood Town Hall.
Old 01-08-2004

I bought HTH in 92 listened to it for months then put it back into my c.d collection not really giving it much play.In July 2000,my girlfriend,now my wife,and I were shopping for music to take with us on our vacation to Maui.I remember this like yesterday,as she was scrolling through the "J" section she said "Oh cool I like these guys and they have a newc.d.Well i looked at her as she was checking out Smile and said yea I have an old c.d of theirs to.She bought Smile TTGG and Sound of Lies,I thought she was overduing it a bit but what the hay.Well the soundtrack of our 10 days in Hawaii was Smile and it reconverted us both back to being huge fans.I still thank her for reintroducing me to the best group in America...hands down.
Old 01-08-2004

Send a message via AIM to mystic_spiral_3 Send a message via Yahoo to mystic_spiral_3
I probably heard of the Jayhawks in 1994. My friend Joanna and I had recently discovered Soul Asylum and "alternative rock" in general, and Joanna's mom worked at a library, so she'd bring back old issues of Rolling Stone with SA articles for her daughter. One of these mentioned Dan being in Golden Smog and how GS had members of the Jayhawks among others.

Then in Fall 1994 there was a girl in my chemistry class in high school talking about going to a Tom Petty concert and that the Jayhawks opened. My ears perked up at hearing that name again.

In early 1995 I heard "Blue" on the radio and I probably saw the video late one night on MTV. Also, Rolling Stone had some small articles on the band and the new cd. I loved "Blue" and thought it was so pretty and sad and even that it appealed to my teen angst at the time.

So I'm at the mall with Joanna and her friend Matt. I'm holding a cassette of TTGG and debating whether or not I should buy it for just one song. Matt rips the tape out of my hand and buys it for me.

I took the tape home and listened to it alot and ended up liking every song. As for Matt...Joanna claimed he had a crush on me but then ended up going out with someone else...oh well. At least I got Jayhawks fandom out of that.
Old 01-08-2004

Late arrival to the Hawks. In 1996, a local station ,96 WAVF, started playing The Jayhawks, Wilcp, Son volt etc. They actually had a concert which featured The Jayhawks, Son Volt , Wilco, Cowboy Mouth ,. Funny, the Honey Dogs played the night before at a local bar. Also had Blue Mountain. What a show.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: