The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2004
Vibey-ness

Send a message via MSN to Truscott Send a message via Yahoo to Truscott
Where I'm from, nobody liked this kind of music in high school. Everybody liked Rap, Dance and blubble-gum Pop, so all through high school I was the only person that I knew of who listened to something different. Back then, it was radio-brand Country. At the time, I had no idea alt.country existed, let alone the Jayhawks.

Around 1997 I became more and more disdainful of Corporate Country as I learned about Country music's roots and traditions - as well as the way the industry really works. While reading about music on the internet, I discovered about the independant underground music and read about the likes of Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Wilco, Whiskeytown, BR5-49, The Old 97s and with a few mentions, The Jayhawks.

So I explored these bands through the only way I could with my limited budget - I downloaded songs from Napster and later Morpheus and Kazaa Lite (I've since bought several albums by most groups/artists that I discovered through downloading, btw).

I didn't discover the Jayhawks really until earlier in 2003 when I decided to listen a few tracks from their new album, RDM. I think it was Angelyne which turned me onto them the most, though Blue wasn't far behind. Then I saw them open for Blue Rodeo this past August in Toronto which made me decide I had to really get into this band.

I think RDM is now one of my most-played albums to date along with Johnny Cash at San Quentin and Lucinda Williams's "Car Wheels On A Gravel Road". Now my quest is to gradually get all of their albums since each seems to be quite different from the next from what I've heard. So far I've got RDM, TTGG and the Women's Lounge album.

Kudos to p2p file sharing of the past which led me to music far superior than can be found on Toronto radio.

Four years on, everyone else around here still listens to the same radio friendly Rap, Pop, etc. that they did in High School...
Old 01-08-2004
Beware the Phog

I came in from Golden Smog, as well. I had been listening to quite a bit of Wilco so a co-worker gave me Down By the Old Mainstream and Weird Tales to try. I decided that my favorite songs were written by Jayhawks members so I picked up TTGG. It took me a while to get into it, but when I did, I was hooked!
Old 01-08-2004
Wet Member

I had just moved back to Minneapolis the previous winter, and was bunkered down in my friend’s Uptown apartment in the spring of ’92 when he threw on a couple tracks from Blue Earth. I enjoyed the melodies and the lyrics and inquired about the band, and he told me to hold on—he had an advance copy of their latest stuff. Well, ‘Waiting for the Sun’ came on and bam, my eyes glazed over, my heartbeat slowed, and I could barely catch my breath (and I don’t think it was the various intoxicants). Suddenly I knew that I “got it”. I didn’t even let it get to the second track, I had to hear WFTS again, and again, and again. A few months later, on the day that HTH became available to the public, I purchased it at Electric Fetus, and my life—in some ways—was never the same again.

That has been my ritual since. Despite many offerings of advance copies, etc., I always wait until the release date. I will usually skip out of work early and head to ANY independent record store and pick up my first (often of many) copy. I remember each of those days so fondly, like the snowstorm when TTGG came out. But I will never forget how emotional I was when SOL came out, driving around teary eyed and bittersweet. Mark had left, and up until that day I wasn’t optimistic for much more from the band. Boy was I wrong, SOL blew me away, and became the “soundtrack” for such an important time in my life, and it buoyed my optimism for even more and better things from the band. Thus came Smile and RDM. Both times I drove around listening, so happy, yet at the same time so sad because it’s been in the back of my mind that they may not do this again and this may be the last time I get that awesome blast of fresh Jayhawks music. I may have listened to RDM a few hundred times at this point (just ask my wife), loving every minute of it, but nothing can ever compare to the first time. Sadly, I may have run out of first times. But their music will no doubt live with me forever.
Old 01-08-2004
Squatter's Rights

[quote][i]Originally posted by LakesMan
my eyes glazed over, my heartbeat slowed, and I could barely catch my breath (and I don’t think it was the various intoxicants). Suddenly I knew that I “got it”.

Remember hearing Bob Mould's WORKBOOK for the first time???
Old 01-08-2004
Charming legs

Send a message via MSN to illbecominhome
Boy, oh, boy... beatiful story Lakesman. It really got me. In a few minutes my story...

"This evening the pigeons turned to bars of gold in the sun’s last light"
Old 01-08-2004
Charming legs

Send a message via MSN to illbecominhome
So... I guess being in Spain is not the most obvious spot to get to know the Hawks, but... you know, life has very strange paths...
Like Sandy said, it seems like I've told this story one too many times (on this board, on the old one... but I dont mind repeating it at all). The first I read about the band was in a Spanish magazine, "Popular 1", one of the most important things in my teens and early youth, that made me a Tom Waits fan, as well as an Aerosmith one. All kind of good music is welcome there. So, some guy whose opinions I really appreciated, made the TTGG review (9 out of 10, I remember), and for what he said there, I was sure I was gonna love that band, before I even started to listen to it. Then a radio program I used to listen to (before it got too "new" for me) started playin' "Blue", and a penpal I had made through that magazine (I sent them a letter the moment I finished my first issue and they published it), sent me a copy (TDK tape) of TTGG and in the next package another one of HTH. Sadly my friend had some troubles and ended up, taking his life away. Never met him, but was very important in my life. Then SOL that with the years passing by became my favorite album (not at first, though I really loved from the first time "It's up to you"), and Smile, which brought the Hawks for the first time to Spain, twice in a year, and that made them MY band forever. Saw them once on the first tour and three the second one. Got to know the guys and treated me really good. At this point I still try to spread the word, and for instance after recording some tapes some years ago to another penpal (whom I met through that letter too), TTGG and HTH, on her last birthday I bought for her those CD's plus RDM. And she's s real fan now! And one of my best friends though we live on the other side of Spain and never got to know each other. Well enough said, right? Turn anything you're listenin' too up, and enjoy!

"This evening the pigeons turned to bars of gold in the sun’s last light"
Old 01-08-2004
Dog Whisperer

I like these stories! As a college dj in the '80s, I played alot of the pre-alt country bands like Blue Rodeo, the Blasters, Long Ryders, Steve Earl, etc. When I graduated, I moved to NYC, but my BF (still my BF) stayed in school for graduate work and ran the station. He came up to visit me with a demo of HTH that was sent to the station because he knew I would love it. We still have that original tape. It's plain white with no song titles on it and a blank cover that just says The Jayhawks. That was a very lonely time in my life. I thought it was the most amazing album I had ever heard and I wore out many copies of the tape. I would listen to it on my walkman as I went all over the city and it made me feel somehow comfortable and that there was sweetness in the world. I just adored Gary's plaintive waivering voice (Still do, of course). The album just so "spoke" to me.

From that time on, I tracked their career. I next got TTGG, and that was the first time I saw what the band looked like. Of course, I thought Gary was just the coolest!!

By then a reissue of Blue Earth came out, which I got, and they toured with Tom Petty. I saw the Petty show in Philly and that was the first time I saw the Jayhawks live. They blew me away. I haven't missed an album or a tour since!
Old 01-08-2004

I saw a review for TTGG in Kerrang! (a UK rock/metal mag) and bought it on the strength of that review. Loved everything. I then went straight out and bought HTH as it was supposed to be even better. Thought it all sounded the same at first, just as well I gave it more than one listen because I was so wrong...

Also remember seeing the video for Waiting for the Sun on Noisy Mothers (late-night ITV metal programme, hosted by Krusher and Ann Kirk, if anyone remembers them). It was chosen as a favourite song by Chris Robinson of the Black Crowes. Noisy Mothers is probably where JockHawk saw the Blue video too.
Old 01-08-2004
Guru

I got into them in 95/96 or so.. I remember my cousin having me listen to HTH at my house one day and i was digging it but I didn't get it till a little while later when a friend of mine i knew from college let me take some free cds since his dad got a lot of promos from work. I saw HTH and promptly picked it up.

I also remember an online friend of mine from seattle, Kirk, who i still haven't met had send me some compilations with songs from smog, hawks and wilco and soul asylum around that same time..
so sophmore year of college i listened to HTH constantly and then soon got all the rest of them.. since then ive tried to get many people into the band and succeeded with many of them by copying live shows for them or buying them a cd as a gift. Seen them about 8 times since then and hopefully many more.. i'm hoping for a good tour this year and also hope they finish their next album!!!!
Old 01-09-2004

VH1 Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by takemewithyou
I was a big Replacements fan...
Later at night when I'm reading or whatever I've been leaving VH1 Classic on as background noise. Lots of 80s videos that I forgot I knew by heart. Many, many horrible songs/artists/haircuts.

Anyway, every once in a while something cool does come on: Last night, they played the video for The Ledge! I don't know if I had ever seen it, but it was funny as hell. Paul & co. doing NOTHING in black and white, similar in tone to the infamous Bastards of Young video.

Anybody seen this back in the day or more recently? I keep hoping they'll play an old Jayhawks video...

-- GM
Old 01-09-2004

1994: Saw Tom Petty - missed the Jayhawks due to friend's horrible teenage driving/navigation skills in downtown Milwaukee

1996: Saw article in RS about 'Hawks; intrigued enough to go to the store and check them out - was sidelined by psychotic college boyfriend who decided to have a tantrum about me 'checking out the dude behind the counter' - left emptyhanded due to my embarrassment

1999: Finally purchased TTGG and HTH. It was a Tuesday. We threw a house party on Thursday. Jayhawks gone on Friday. Bastards.

2000: Bought second copy of TTGG. Enjoyed it immensely, became a fan.

2001: Broke up with live-in boyfriend; Jayhawks mysteriously do not make move with me; no man, no music - it was very sad indeed

2003: Puchased RDM
Fell in love all over again
Bought the whole catalogue
Even got some Golden Smog
Will never again lose music to a man
Who could only lead me halfway to love

In all seriousness, it seems it was a bit of a 'long, hard slog' to finally reach this point; but it was worth it. I only regret not being more resilient and determined earlier on to listen to the Jayhawks. I've missed too many shows and I'm eager to make up for it.

Old 01-09-2004
Grass Roots

Quote:
Originally posted by Julianne
Also remember seeing the video for Waiting for the Sun on Noisy Mothers (late-night ITV metal programme, hosted by Krusher and Ann Kirk, if anyone remembers them).
God, I used to watch Noisy Mothers every week. In fact, I used to get up at about 4am every Friday night to tape my favourite metal videos!!! It also used to be called The Power Hour, then Raw Power (sponsored by Raw magazine) I believe.

And whatever happened to Krusher? I remember the show had a great bit where he'd sit on a sofa, floating in space, slagging off all the records he'd been sent that week!
Old 01-09-2004
Haggischomper

Being a plain and simple fella my story is plain and simple.

Read a review of HTH which mentioned the sound as being Neil Young-ish. Bought the tape - remember tapes? - and was hooked ever since. Truly, this is a band that is a sheer delight to listen to. Class.
Old 01-09-2004

Send a message via AIM to mystic_spiral_3 Send a message via Yahoo to mystic_spiral_3
Re: VH1 Classic

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Fan
Anybody seen this back in the day or more recently?
Actually in the summer my parents' digital cable DID have VH1 classic and I happened to flip to it, see Paul Westerberg talking, and then see "The Ledge". I was so excited that my mom came in to see what was up and ended up watching the video too. She thought it was a cool song.

But now VH1 classic has inexplicably disappeared from their digital cable. Damn, l liked that channel and checking it out when I go home.
Old 01-09-2004

Lent HTH and TMTGG from the public library years ago. Incidently saw the announcement for the concert last year in May. Went there with a good friend. Totally addicted since then (a frequent ´hubber´ also). Went to the September concert too. Becomes a disease I fear.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: