The Jayhawks FanPage Board  

Go Back   The Jayhawks FanPage Board > General Jayhawks Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2003

Tomorrow the Green Grass

I was just wondering if the band ever play the song Tomorrow the Green Grass. I love that song!!

"I do" - Johnny Fever
Old 08-25-2003

I have never heard of them playing this song live, and doubt it will ever happen, but I dig it too.

Don't want to swipe your thread, but I had time to give the album TTGG and SOL a serious listen over the weekend while painting, and I came away with some new impressions. Feel free to agree/disagree as always:

- I used to think of TTGG as a more acoustic-sounding record, and SOL as a more guitar oriented record. I now disagree with myself: I think TTGG is a HUGE electric guitar record -- Gary is all over the place here -- and SOL is very much a piano-driven album!

- You may remember a thread where I said that a few songs on TTGG had slightly different double-tracked solos panned left and right. This can be most clearly heard on Bad Time, I think.

- I don't think TTGG has a bad song on it except Ten Little Kids, but I can even tolerate that song (barely) thanks to Gary's electric.

- To me, TTGG is a much better record overall than HTH and represents real growth for the Jayhawks, even though HTH has at least one song that eclipses anything on TTGG: Waiting for the Sun.

- While TTGG sounds like a record may a year or two after HTH, it sounds like ten years have passed between TTGG and SOL. There is exponential growth between those records -- and that growth/change in direction, as we all know, didn't please everybody. But it did please me.

- Tone: Gary's tone on TTGG, overall, is tremendous. (They even let him fade out with feedback on Ten Little Kids!) His SOL tone is even a little more sophisticated, with amazing use of tremolo (replaced in concert these days by either his Rotosphere or MXR Phase 90 pedals, which are even better imho).

Terrific stuff. Glad to have had the chance to give these another really good listen -- and even more, got Neil's On the Beach and was blown away AGAIN.

-- GM
Old 08-25-2003
Squatter's Rights

TTGG appears on the Uptown 9-27-91 show, among others. But that one comes to mind right away.
So we can see as early as '91 they're playing songs that won't appear on offical releases for almost 5 years.
This was not real uncommon for the boys.

I will agree with NYFan about the comparisions and impressions
TTGG is a brilliant album and mostly guitar driven songs.
Remember the interview where Gary insists they've come up with some really great new songs, again, moving in a certian direction.
The whole process is slowed when Mark decides split.
So it's no surprise that the songwriting process changes and Gary recieve's new help from Karen, Marc and Tim on SOL, thus creating a whole new sound.
HTH was really the major label recording of Blue Earth with some new tracks, and some old tracks left off. The new songs on HTH we're part of the live set since '88 or '89 when they started playing songs like Settled Down, Clouds,Take Me With You, Nevada California, Wichita, and of course Waiting for the Sun.
So TTGG really does represent some growth, as a band and songwriters. We also now can look back and see the slow transformation as Gary gets more and more Mic. time in the live sets.
TTGG live isn't half as stunning as Darling Today was...IMHO

Last edited by muskytoes : 08-25-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 08-25-2003
LiladyK

Musky's right about "Darling Today" being stunning. I remember the first time I heard it, how it perked me up and made the lil blond hairs on my lil arms stand on end.....and I had not 5 cups of coffee in myself at the time either

I think part of it is the combo of the separation, and then the "back to the blend"....

Mark: "you alone" / Gary: "you alone" ........then they both fall together into sweet "univoice" bliss....
Old 08-25-2003
Boston's biggest fan

Send a message via AIM to Sue B
You know, I agree w/ you, NY Fan. I used to prefer HTH, but now I think TTGG wins. I don't like "Ten Little Kids," either, but every other song is fantastic (though "Waiting for the Sun" is right up there w/ "Blue" as my favorite song). I have been listening to TTGG a lot lately, in preparation for "my song" in my theatre class, and it has really, really grown on me. It still sounds so fresh and vital!

I've also been listening to "Rainy Day Music" alot, and have decided that "Tailspin" and "All the Right Reasons" (the other song I used for my theatre class) are my favorites, followed by "Angelyne," "Stumbling Through the Dark," and "One Man's Problem." Actually, the *only* song I do not like on the CD, alas, is "Don't Let the World Get In Your Way," and I really have given it a try. (I do like "Tampa to Tulsa," however.)

It's nice that the Jayhawks stand up to multiple listens. MULTIPLE.

Old 08-25-2003
Senor Member

Darling Today / Univoice

Quote:
Originally posted by LiladyK
Mark: "you alone" / Gary: "you alone" ........then they both fall together into sweet "univoice" bliss....
Univoice .... awesome. so true!
Old 08-26-2003
Blondie

Quote:
Originally posted by NY Fan
I have never heard of them playing this song live, and doubt it will ever happen, but I dig it too.
Really!?!?! I distinctly remember hearing this song live back in '95(-ish).
If your rhythm ever falls out of time,
You can bring it to me and I will make it alright.

My Flickr Account
Old 08-26-2003
Lenno

TTGG knocked me out, it was the first JH album I bought because I knew Blue from the radio. "Over my shoulder" and Blue and I'd run away are for me the best songs on the record.

And for the fact that songs can wonder around for years before they get on an album, I noticed that with those Mystery demos. They are from 1992 and some songs got on TTGG and others on Golden Smog or Mark's solo albums. Makes me wondering what they have in store for us!
Old 08-26-2003
Boston's biggest fan

Send a message via AIM to Sue B
I've been listening to TTGG a lot lately (after picking "Blue" for my song for theatre class), and I've appreciated an even greater love for it than I originally had. Except for "Ten Little Kids," which never enthralled me, I think the entire CD is sterling, w/ amazing harmonies that chill and powerful lyrics. I still love HTH, but TTGG is just a very special CD. And the more I hear RDM, the more I love it, though I still think the first half of the album is stronger, w/ the exception of "Angelyne," which is one of my favorite songs.

There's no question that the Jayhawks stand up to multiple listenings.
Old 08-26-2003
Squatter's Rights

I thought we we're talking about the SONG TOMORROW THE GREEN GRASS not the album with the same name.

I think they played it on the '95 tour but it shows up as early as '90-'91 in some setlists
Old 08-26-2003
Senor Member

only time i think i ever heard ithe song TTGG (in person) was at the 1994 Grand Old Days gig at Dixies-

first jayhawks show for Tim i think, and karen didn't play (due to a broken arm?)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: