The Jayhawks FanPage Board

The Jayhawks FanPage Board (http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/boards/index.php)
-   OT: (http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   RIP Chris Ethridge (http://www.jayhawksfanpage.com/boards/showthread.php?t=14243)

JayB 04-24-2012 05:16 PM

RIP Chris Ethridge
 
Another musical legend passes.

wheelhousetunes 04-25-2012 08:59 AM

He's reunited with Gram now. Any word on cause of death?

Helpless 04-25-2012 11:30 AM

One of the reasons I liked the Flying Burrito Brothers is they united traditional country sounds with a rock style. One of the biggest things that makes their sound to me is they turn up the bass and let the slide guitar get a little freaky once and awhile. If you listen to Neil Young and Jackson Browne's early 70's stuff, they have really powerful bass lines even though the tunes can be mellow. I think this comes from Ethridge's style with the Brothers.

jcarlile 04-26-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelhousetunes (Post 227339)
He's reunited with Gram now. Any word on cause of death?

RIP Chris. I read he had pancreatic cancer... He wrote so many great songs with Gram!!

NY Fan 04-26-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helpless (Post 227340)
One of the reasons I liked the Flying Burrito Brothers is they united traditional country sounds with a rock style. One of the biggest things that makes their sound to me is they turn up the bass and let the slide guitar get a little freaky once and awhile. If you listen to Neil Young and Jackson Browne's early 70's stuff, they have really powerful bass lines even though the tunes can be mellow. I think this comes from Ethridge's style with the Brothers.

Good points.

ChiefCrowe 04-26-2012 02:38 PM

sad to hear this.. been a bad couple of weeks for rock!
very interesting writeup, enlightening!

Calexico 04-28-2012 07:04 AM

It surely has been a bad few weeks for music with the outlook being more of the same. All these legends are getting older and we will lose them on a more regular basis now sadly.

Chris left behind a great body of work for future generations to be delighted with.

Jiff 04-29-2012 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcarlile (Post 227343)
RIP Chris. I read he had pancreatic cancer... He wrote so many great songs with Gram!!

Are you thinking of Chris Hillman? Ethridge only wrote four songs with Parsons: Hot Burrito #1, #2, #3 and She.

jcarlile 05-01-2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jiff (Post 227362)
Are you thinking of Chris Hillman? Ethridge only wrote four songs with Parsons: Hot Burrito #1, #2, #3 and She.

No, I was speaking about Ethridge, specifically the Hot Burrito ones. LOVE! Chris Hillman no doubt has written many great songs with Gram.....:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Brought to you by: The Jayhawks