PDA

View Full Version : David Lindley Leo Kottke at The Coachhouse last night

on the beach 3
11-03-2007, 01:11 PM
What a fantastic night of guitar genius last night in San Jaun Capo. Two vituoso's on the same bill and a great venue to boot. Lindley opened the show and was in great form, plenty of classic El Rayo X as well as a few Zevon covers and a brilliant cover of Springsteens Under The Bridge. He played a song based on Layland Sklar's adventures in China that was one of the most hilarious things I have ever heard, the chorus " gray feet in a burlap bag" refers to actual human feet encountered by Sklar and his wife while dining in a Chinese restuarant, he eventually lost 15 pounds on the trip!
Kottke was as always just amazing, the sound of 6 players coming from one guitar. Great set list, amazing tales and just those two on the same bill made for one amazing evening.

Peace and Boat Drinks.......

Haggischomper
11-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Kottke I know next to nothing about but I did once have the pleasure of seeing Lindley live with Ry Cooder - similar to your night, there were many tales of much hilarity and just some great, great playing. I am not very 'up' on either Lindley's or Cooder's music but the fact that I didn't know (m)any of the songs didn't detract for one moment. In fact, it may have enhanced things abit as you were just transfixed wondering what would happen next.

Melody Blues
11-03-2007, 03:13 PM
wow! That is some guitar talent!! :eek:

JumboFun
11-03-2007, 03:37 PM
My husband loves both those dudes and I've listened to them both a lot and can't deny the stuff you said on the beach 3, "Two vituoso's." However - I simply can't stand the sound of David Lindly's voice. Why does he hafta ruin his music by making that godawful noise?

I just got back from a road trip, a long one, and I could always tell when my husband was going to slip in a DL cd. He'd get all sheepish. I'm not an ogre, and I wouldn't tell him not to play it when he is driving, but when I'm driving, David Lindly should stay out of the cd player. I'm likely to crash cuz I close my eyes when I wince.

JoMama
11-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Beach, what a lovely event to attend--jealous here, but thankful to read about it!
Both brilliant and distinctly unique players, what a treat to seem 'em on the same bill.