PDA

View Full Version : Car Wheels On A Gravel Road

JayB
10-21-2007, 07:03 AM
A modern day classic!!!!!!!!!!

Amongst the best albums from the 90s.... or ever.

I recently got the double CD expanded remastered deluxe version...

3 extra songs on disc 1 and a very VERY good second disc with a full live gig from some radio show (WXPN Live At The World Cafe).

Awesome. Although, just why an album from 1998 warrants remastering is beyond me... but anyway, I'm digging this a lot!! I hadn't listened to this album for a while... it's always nice to rediscover little gems like this.

JayB
10-21-2007, 07:22 AM
Disc 2:
WXPN Live At The World Cafe
Live At Penn's Landing, Philedelphia, PA,
WXPN Singer Songwriter Festival, July 11th 1998

1. Pineola
2. Something About What Happens When We Talk
3. Car Wheels On A Gravel Road
4. Metal Firecracker
5. Right In Time
6. Drunken Angel
7. Greenville
8. Still I Long For Your Kiss
9. 2 Kool 2 Be 4 Gotten
10. Can't Let Go
11. Hot Blood
12. Changed The Locks
13. Joy

Additional Tracks on disc 1:

Down The Big Road Blues (previously unreleased)
Out Of Touch (previously unreleased)
Still I Long For Your Kiss (alternate version from The Horse Whisperer Soundtrack)

Melody Blues
10-21-2007, 08:01 AM
It's a really fine record. One I can listen to at any time.

After hearing the first few seconds of Right In Time I knew me and this album would get along just fine!

Lake Charles probably my favourite track on it, I love her lazy singing style.

JayB
10-21-2007, 08:08 AM
Yeah it's one of those albums I don't have to be in the mood for, it's fine whenever.

I've been playing it all weekend...

JayB
10-21-2007, 08:16 AM
This is a cool article on teh album, written by a good friend of mine, Mike:

http://fearlessromantics.blogspot.com/2006/08/car-wheels-on-gravel-road.html

illbecominhome
10-21-2007, 08:23 AM
I've said it many times. My favorite album EVER along with SOL, I feel alright, Grace, TSH&MC, and a few more.

Haggischomper
10-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Car Wheels is a SEXY record too.

Jedey
10-21-2007, 09:50 AM
I think it will be a good day to give "Car Wheels" a spin. I'm a fan of all Lucinda's albums but Car Wheels kicks off the batch of my favorites.

JayB
10-21-2007, 10:43 AM
jony, you really do have the coolest taste in music. :D

Precious Time
10-21-2007, 11:17 AM
I played this album to death since I 'discovered' it just a few months ago.
The bonus thingy sounds nice....

Maybe I can pick it up at Ms. Williams' show in Rotterdam in a few weeks!

JayB
10-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Aww man, you'll have a ball at her show!! I saw her sometime last year (and BRucey showed up for two songs) and she was incredible!!! The guitar player dude is awesome too.

axeeugene
10-21-2007, 11:27 AM
I'm gonna expose myself to heaps of hatred and derision for this, but I can't *stand* Lucinda Williams. Her voice makes the baby Jesus cry.

Haggischomper
10-21-2007, 11:37 AM
The guitar player dude is awesome too.

Doug Petitbone. Great guitarist and nice fella. He used to play with a guy called Kevin Montgomery who I have championed here a few times.

illbecominhome
10-21-2007, 11:58 AM
I'm gonna expose myself to heaps of hatred and derision for this, but I can't *stand* Lucinda Williams. Her voice makes the baby Jesus cry.

I think I'm gonna treat you on this thread as everybody should treat BMB in the rest of them :p :D

illbecominhome
10-21-2007, 12:01 PM
jony, you really do have the coolest taste in music. :D

:cool: :D

Emmylou
10-21-2007, 12:09 PM

I stone you! I STONE YOU!!
Blasphemer!!!

that is all I have to say on that!

JayB
10-21-2007, 12:20 PM

It's all down to taste and personal opinion... everyone's different... it's all cool.

Even if your opinion is wrong. :rolleyes: :p ;)

Jedey
10-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I played this album to death since I 'discovered' it just a few months ago.
The bonus thingy sounds nice....

Maybe I can pick it up at Ms. Williams' show in Rotterdam in a few weeks!
I've seen Lucinda a couple of times and they were the best shows ever.:cool:

Chaosdan
10-21-2007, 01:00 PM
I never got into this album... I'd heard so much about it, but when i finally got it a couple of years ago I was very disappointed. It just sounded like formulaic Americana to me. And like Axe, I really didn't like her voice...

But I know so many people love it... maybe I missed something first time round.

Calexico
10-21-2007, 01:12 PM
"That's in East Texas, not far from the border"

Lake Charles is a stunning song and my favourite on that record.

Truscott
10-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Of course, the version of "Car Wheels" that we all know and love is actually the second version of the album. Gurf Morlix had actually produced the album previously, but either through Lucinda's tendancy for her view of perfection or a label wanting something more commercial, it was scrapped and the popular version is what was released.

The Gurf Morlix version has been floating around the trader community for some time and is much more 'organic' and rural sounding.

I personally prefer both! :D

Haggischomper
10-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Was it not scrapped TWICE Truscott? Firs, the Morlix version. Then the Steve Earle version. Finally we got a version tweaked by Roy Bittan although much of the Earle version remained?

JayB
10-21-2007, 04:40 PM
Of course, the version of "Car Wheels" that we all know and love is actually the second version of the album. Gurf Morlix had actually produced the album previously, but either through Lucinda's tendancy for her view of perfection or a label wanting something more commercial, it was scrapped and the popular version is what was released.

The Gurf Morlix version has been floating around the trader community for some time and is much more 'organic' and rural sounding.

I personally prefer both! :D

Really!?!? I would love to hear the other version!!

Truscott
10-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Really!?!? I would love to hear the other version!!Check yer messages.

Angelyne
10-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I've said it many times. My favorite album EVER along with SOL, I feel alright, Grace, TSH&MC, and a few more.

I recall singing a line or two during your visit to Chicago! In fact, you Ravi and I could sing back-ups, should she ever ask! :p

illbecominhome
10-23-2007, 10:35 AM
I recall singing a line or two during your visit to Chicago! In fact, you Ravi and I could sing back-ups, should she ever ask! :p

I recall singing more than one or two lines :)
On a related note, I may get my copy of Car Wheels signed by Lucinda next month. A buddy of mine who met her in Amsterdam last year, has been invited to her show in Gothenburg, Sweden, and is taking my booklet with him :)

Melody Blues
10-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Okay, I've a question for fellow fans of this record.

On Right In Time, it is me or does the song get louder half way through? Listen to it and concentrate from about 2.40 then at 2.55 when she sings "think about you on that long ride" to me it's like the whole thing is turned up at 2.54.

Or maybe it is just me!?

JayB
10-29-2007, 04:23 PM
I don't think mine does that... maybe that's the remastering they did on the double CD version.

Bryn
10-29-2007, 08:08 PM
Listen to the organ part all the way through. It is dropped way back just after the lead break and then is bought in at it's previous level almost straight after that point, after the little tambourine bell like sound.Notice the triangle played there to cover this up a bit to. The organ comes up so fast that it sounds like it is just switched in instead of faded up into the mix. My guess is that the keyboard was being played through the whole thing (you can just hear it way back in the mix) and then "ducked" out of the first part of that verse and then pushed back in at that point. If it was played naturally it would take a bit longer to swell up to that volume. Nice catch mate.:D