PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Non-Euro Brits

bobgordon
10-11-2007, 10:09 AM
I've been shortlisted for a job interview in the libary of Oxford university and they offer 18,000 pounds a year. Is this a good salary? I mean, it would be quite a decent salary here, but I know everything is much more expensive there. Would it be enough for me and mrs. bobgordon to survive there? How much would it cost to rent an apartment there? Anyone knows if Oxford would be a good place to live? I assume that being a city with a university it has a lively atmosphere.

This is important because I have to confirm my attendance to interview and since they don't pay travel expenses and I haven't found a cheap flight I have to study if it's worth the investment. I have been checking the internet, but I though that you guys would also give me interesting information.

Thanks!

Haggischomper
10-11-2007, 10:20 AM
Oxford is near London and London is damned expensive. 3 years ago in Glasgow I was on 16 grand or so and had enough to pay my mortgage, my beer, my fitba' season ticket and my cds/gigs. Not sure I coulda done all that in London though. Perhaps Dan The Bongo Man or JayB would be able to give a better idea.

Jose Mourinho
10-11-2007, 10:30 AM
I suppose it all depends on your lifestyle.
I honestly don't know what the rent would be there....in my old town the rent for a one bedroom apartment would be around 500 a month...so once you've paid that and taken off the tax etc. you would be left with around 500-600 a month.
Is that enough for 2 people to live off of?
Depends too if your wife intends to work.

If you like a nice champagne lifestyle then it's :(
If you like gruel and water then it's :)

JayB
10-12-2007, 12:35 PM
I hate to be negative, so please consider the following as realistic! :p

I'm guessing you'd be taking home roughly about 900 to 1,000 pounds a month after tax. I think apartments big enough for two people in Oxford would be rather expensive, so it wouldn't leave you with a huge amount a month.

I would say it's quite low, personally... but it's hard to say. It depends on what you're used to, what you're current salary is, what the job is.

Give some of these people a ring and see what you're looking at for accommodation, price wise: http://www.oxfordcity.co.uk/oxford/home_accommodation_to_buy_or_rent.html

18 grand wouldn't get you a lot of floor space round where I live.

bobgordon
10-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks for the input Jay, but man you are negative!:D

One think I have to say first: you guys are serious and well organised people. I have been cheking for hours the website of the university! There's a lot of information and the university offers lots of services! They cover relocation expenses, help with the acommodation, you can go for free to the sport center, etc. You wouldn't find that here in a million years.

The university offers acommodation to new staff in flats for 600 pounds plus taxes and gas, telephone, etc. That seems "cheap" for what I have seen, but I guess it will get to the 1000 pounds/month that you said. That sucks.

And those 18,000 I said are gross and taxes are way high there, so I guess I would end up getting... 1,000 net a month or so :mad:

Oh, well. Let's see. Might give a try anyway, I am really looking forward to get outta here, and other aspects are pretty atractive. Job seems ok and I guess Oxford could be a nice place to live for a while.

Any other information is still welcome! I can think about it until Monday

Chaosdan
10-13-2007, 07:22 AM
Oxford is a really nice town, I've been many times. You won't be rolling in cash, but if the university is helping find you somewhere to live it might work out pretty well. Go I say!

When would be starting if you took it?

Haggischomper
10-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Oxford is a really nice town for the most part. It is kinda weird though - all church spires and lovely old buildings as you would expect from the University but there are also a couple of concrete 70's box-type buildings that are absolute carbuncles - the designers ought to be taken out and publically flogged for that travesty. My wife spent a summer at Oxford University and absolutely fell in love with the place.

Also, there are a lot of nice parks for walking in and the Thames snakes through town too - you can see the University rowing crews slogging away during the summer. There are plenty of good pubs too and the town just has one of those really cool atmospheres. Sometimes that kinda thing is more important than how much money ya make.

bobgordon
10-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Thanks! That's the kind of positive input I was expecting! ;) Or at least, that I needed!

Dan, the starting date is late November or early December, that part of the year when the sun shines and everything's in bloom.

Melody Blues
10-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Oxford is a lovely place. I've visited and drove round and through it a few times.

I earn less than 18k but I don't have a wife and kids or anything like that. I hear that house prices are now starting to come down again but when it will really kick in and to what level is hard to say at the moment.

I suppose like anything it would take a while to get used to prices and rountines so you could know where to save and cut corners etc..

Good luck anyway, hope it works out. :-)